Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-13-2011, 03:31 PM

1,742 posts, read 3,117,148 times

Advertisements

Hey Gunny, I grew up in western Alberta. We used to take our dirt bikes all over "hells half acres". With some good topo maps we could actually take a single track from South Kootaney Pass all the way to the coast. You'd find abandoned mining cabins along the way some with a rifle grown into a tree pointing at the door attached to the door knob (security system).
There was even a self serve border crossing that entered Glacier National Park south of Corbin BC.
The Banff / Jasper highway shoud be on everyones' bucket list. RP
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-13-2011, 03:53 PM

7,841 posts, read 19,000,942 times
proveick wrote:
The Banff / Jasper highway shoud be on everyones' bucket list.
Only one word needed to describe the Banff / Jasper highway.....AWESOME!

Old 01-14-2011, 09:20 AM

4,530 posts, read 8,868,319 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by proveick View Post
Hey Gunny, I grew up in western Alberta. We used to take our dirt bikes all over "hells half acres". With some good topo maps we could actually take a single track from South Kootaney Pass all the way to the coast. You'd find abandoned mining cabins along the way some with a rifle grown into a tree pointing at the door attached to the door knob (security system).
There was even a self serve border crossing that entered Glacier National Park south of Corbin BC.
The Banff / Jasper highway shoud be on everyones' bucket list. RP
Do you ever do any travel by railroad proveick? A friend of mine who travels exclusively by rail has told me about a train ride that runs close to Banf NP. That would be a trip to remember. I am too crippled up to ride dirt bikes now so I travel by more comfortable modes of transportation.

GL2

Old 01-14-2011, 10:04 AM

1,742 posts, read 3,117,148 times
I used to work for the CPR (Canadian Pacific Railroad) back in the 80's.
The railway goes to the coast, an amazing ride. Check it out and DO IT.
Alberta & B.C. (http://www8.cpr.ca/cms/English/General+Public/Holiday+Train/Schedules/BC+-+Alberta.htm - broken link)
Stayed here for free as a perk.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=giqQz...eature=related
RP

Old 01-14-2011, 10:47 AM

25,747 posts, read 18,818,821 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by snow_cabin View Post
logcabindreamer, me too. I think 2011 will be the year I finally build or buy one. I just can't make my mind up as to where. Wyoming, Colorado, Alaska and Utah are the front runners.

gunluvver2, you don't live in Canada?

I have a hard time finding others that share my interest and love of log cabins, mountains, snow and cold weather. Seems like everyone wants hot ole Florida :=)

I read abut Dick a long while ago. Fascinated me then, and still does.
Just a note about Utah (for cabins): You won't find a lot of alpine terrain for a cabin that is truly remote nowadays in Utah. Potential sites are either filled in with weekend "getaway" cabins for SLC residents, mega expensive (and urbanized) communities like Park City, or National Forrest (thus off limits for cabins). The only truly remote/largely uninhabited regions are the deserts of western or southern Utah. And most folks don't really want a cabin in the desert.

A couple of alpine areas that might suit your purposes for a cabin that are still quite remote, and haven't yet been bought up by SLC'ers and turned into a weekend playground, would be the area northwest of Price and south of the head of Indian Canyon. Beautiful area. Lots of pines. Still fairly remote and the land is not too horribly expensive. It's generally divided into 10 to 20 acre "subdivisions" for cabins. Also, the area from Huntington Canyon south down to about I-70 (in the area between Emery and Salina) is a breathtaking alpine region. I occasionally see cabin lots for sale in the area (from about 5 to 20 acres). A couple of final ideas would be the La Sal mountains east of Moab and the Abajo mountains west of Monticello.

But, again, keep in mind that you'll never find the seclusion that you would have in Alaska in Utah. There are just too many people here and almost all the alpine terrain is within a two or three hour drive from the overpopulated SLC/Provo metro area. It's all pretty much a weekend playground in the mountains.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado