Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-05-2007, 11:01 AM

32 posts, read 148,033 times

Advertisements

Here is my top ten suggestions for surviving in Colorado.....

1. Register your vehicles asap. The first thing your neighbors will check is your license plates. First impressions are everything.

2. Buying a big home and not taking care of the lawn is a sin. Be prepare to spend a lot of time caring for your yard.

3. Don't bring your toys. No one cares about boats, trailier, and hummers. Knowing about a secert fishing spot is more impressing.

4. Like it or not....you are now a Denver Bronco fan. The whole economy can swing depending on a win or a loss.

5. Never talk about California....this is a huge turn off. Coloradoans love Colorado and don't want their state to be another California.

6. We vote republican....maybe you should too.

7. Imbrace the snow and learn to love it. This last year the Front Range had snow on the ground for nearly 3 months.....sometimes you just have to say, what the heck!

8. Don't buy your kids anything with a motor on it. They love there peaceful way of life. Note: A bicycle is still the best recreational vehicle.

9. Learn to drive slow or at least within the speed limits. Coloradoans are not trained to drive nascar and you will drive yourself crazy trying to get ahead.

10. Have a job before you come here. Getting a job here is very difficult. Even the best jobs pay poorly.

P.S. Homes are not investments in Colorado, don't expect to make money on a home sale. Historically home prices only increase by 1.2%

Old 05-05-2007, 11:33 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,810,305 times
Quote:
Don't bring your toys. No one cares about boats, trailier, and hummers. Knowing about a secert fishing spot is more impressing.
SUVs are highly valued, and generally useless, even in the mtns.

Quote:
Imbrace the snow and learn to love it. This last year the Front Range had snow on the ground for nearly 3 months.....sometimes you just have to say, what the heck!
It was 60 days, three days short of the record, and two months, not three.

Quote:
Don't buy your kids anything with a motor on it. They love there peaceful way of life. Note: A bicycle is still the best recreational vehicle.
What? Almost all kids have cars by age 16. Radio-controlled cars are a favorite toy for guys.

Quote:
Learn to drive slow or at least within the speed limits. Coloradoans are not trained to drive nascar and you will drive yourself crazy trying to get ahead.
Again, what is this? See thread about agressive driving.

Quote:
Have a job before you come here. Getting a job here is very difficult. Even the best jobs pay poorly.
Definitely agree. And the "nursing shortage" doesn't really exist here.

Old 05-05-2007, 02:15 PM

353 posts, read 504,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sosobroke View Post
Here is my top ten suggestions for surviving in Colorado.....

1. Register your vehicles asap. The first thing your neighbors will check is your license plates. First impressions are everything.

2. Buying a big home and not taking care of the lawn is a sin. Be prepare to spend a lot of time caring for your yard.

3. Don't bring your toys. No one cares about boats, trailier, and hummers. Knowing about a secert fishing spot is more impressing.

4. Like it or not....you are now a Denver Bronco fan. The whole economy can swing depending on a win or a loss.

5. Never talk about California....this is a huge turn off. Coloradoans love Colorado and don't want their state to be another California.

6. We vote republican....maybe you should too.

7. Imbrace the snow and learn to love it. This last year the Front Range had snow on the ground for nearly 3 months.....sometimes you just have to say, what the heck!

8. Don't buy your kids anything with a motor on it. They love there peaceful way of life. Note: A bicycle is still the best recreational vehicle.

9. Learn to drive slow or at least within the speed limits. Coloradoans are not trained to drive nascar and you will drive yourself crazy trying to get ahead.

10. Have a job before you come here. Getting a job here is very difficult. Even the best jobs pay poorly.

P.S. Homes are not investments in Colorado, don't expect to make money on a home sale. Historically home prices only increase by 1.2%
Love it! It's so true, too. I was nodding my head to every point as I read down the list. Good job.

Old 05-05-2007, 02:19 PM

11,715 posts, read 40,461,182 times
What's with #10? I thought the job market was good in Colorado. Or its it highly dependent on the location?

Old 05-05-2007, 02:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EscapeCalifornia View Post
What's with #10? I thought the job market was good in Colorado. Or its it highly dependent on the location?
HIGHLY dependent. In the 90s the economy was humming and job creation was happening all over the place--especially in the tech and national defense sector in the Springs, Northern Colorado, and Denver. Then after 9/11 the tech sector crashed and not until recently has the economy picked back up again. There's a lot more service jobs now--and still some tech and lots and lots of defense jobs.

Something I hear people say all the time is that while the cost of living is rising, income is not. So you can find any ol' job these days but don't expect to get the same value for your work that you'll get elsewhere.

Old 05-05-2007, 08:38 PM

2,756 posts, read 12,979,824 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EscapeCalifornia View Post
It is good right now, if you have the right skills. I have a narrow window into the job market, being very technically focused. Many of my colleagues in the technology fields are trying (without success) to find local employees with specific technical skills. I haven't seen this kind of demand since 2000-2001.

Old 05-06-2007, 03:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bms View Post
Rawlings, how about citing your source that Colorado wages lag the rest of the nation? Also, be sure to adjust for cost of living comparisons since making more in California usually means being able to afford less.

Did you read my post? If you did you would have known that I said, "PEOPLE TELL ME"--it's only personal experience. All I know is that just about everyone I talk to tells me that, particularly for the middle class, the cost of living is going up in CO but the wages are not. I have no idea if that is true or not--I'm only relating what I'm told.

Old 05-07-2007, 06:59 PM

5,747 posts, read 12,056,680 times
I'm a little confused about the on-going references to the horrible economy in Colorado. My husband had no trouble finding a technology position with a highly-regarded private firm, and he is very well-compensated. His take-home pay actually increased when we moved here from the coast (healthcare, state taxes & auto insurance were killers in California & Maryland). I guess our experience was unusual?

Old 05-07-2007, 07:36 PM

357 posts, read 1,286,878 times
my dh had no problem finding a job here too (aerospace). I think it is dependent on what job you do. the economy is taking a hit here, and you can see it in the real estate.

and I'd disagree with #6, lol. not everyone here votes republican. I've been here a week and met a stack of democrats . and I'm in Highlands Ranch...go figure. And if enough of us democrats move here...

so yeah, back to the economy. our way of life took a big boost up, moving from southern CA to CO. it helps that our pay stays the same.

Old 05-07-2007, 10:36 PM

235 posts, read 355,810 times
"We vote Republican ... maybe you should to"? Not so, mate.

The CO state House and Senate are both controlled by Democrats. New CO governor Bill Ritter is a Democrat. Prior to Ritter's election Republican Bill Owens successfully led the state for two popular terms. Senator Allard is a Republican. Senator Salazar is a Democrat.

If anything Colorado is an excellent mix. Don't pigeonhole us.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado