Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-13-2009, 06:24 PM

11 posts, read 23,512 times

Advertisements

I am from southern california, am getting married in may, and me and my fiancee are looking to get out of ca... i am from montana and desire to find a place with that magnificent beauty without the monstrous winters

we are looking for a cheaper cost of living so we can actually BUY a house and start a family... we would like gorgeous land (rolling green hills), maybe an acre or so... nice people.... good community... family friendly... all 4 seasons...

So far, we are liking Fort Collins... maybe Castle Rock... co springs... any thoughts? Any other california transplants? What do you feel you had to give up? What did you gain? What took some getting used to? Was it worth it?

Thanks so much!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-14-2009, 02:03 PM

6,288 posts, read 11,782,238 times
Well in Colorado you'll definitely get the magnificent landscape without the monstrous winters. All except for the "rolling green pastures" which are pretty rare. Some places that come to mind are Littleton (which includes the foothills and mountains outside Denver) where you get an acre (without house) goes for about $25,000.

In my neck of the woods, an acre of ag land (green rolling hills) up in the Collburn area is somewhat cheaper.

Old 10-14-2009, 03:20 PM

345 posts, read 974,252 times
Compared to Orange County anywhere on the front range will be cheap. Most of the good jobs are near Denver though.

Old 10-14-2009, 04:57 PM

1,904 posts, read 3,988,851 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by laurenrose00 View Post
I am from southern california, am getting married in may, and me and my fiancee are looking to get out of ca... i am from montana and desire to find a place with that magnificent beauty without the monstrous winters

we are looking for a cheaper cost of living so we can actually BUY a house and start a family... we would like gorgeous land (rolling green hills), maybe an acre or so... nice people.... good community... family friendly... all 4 seasons...
So far, we are liking Fort Collins... maybe Castle Rock... co springs... any thoughts? Any other california transplants? What do you feel you had to give up? What did you gain? What took some getting used to? Was it worth it?

Thanks so much!
Hi Laurenrose,

Congrat on your upcoming wedding!! My wife and I live in Castle Rock, we like it a lot. You can find the above criteria that I bolded.

However, the rolling green hills are few and far between - except maybe in April, May and Early June. You can find houses with an acre but you will pay a premium and there are limited neighborhoods that have lots that size.

Best of luck on your move!

Old 10-14-2009, 07:50 PM

1,225 posts, read 4,922,788 times
Quote:
An acre of 'gorgeous land' with an appropriate home on it will probably cost more than a lot of homes in SoCal right now. They usually don't build starter homes on primo acre lots. Just about any area along the Front Range will have family friendly neighborhoods and 4 seasons. If you really desire a cheaper cost of living there are many homes and condos in the $100-150k range. If you have 300-500k to spend, you can find some incredible deals on foreclosed mcmansions on acre+ lots. You might want to find employment before committing to any area, unless that is not a concern. Long distance commuting is quite the pain in the winter. If you can set yourself up with affordable housing, maybe not on gorgeous acreage, and a comfortable commute, your quality of life can definitely be higher here. We moved from San Marcos,CA, 5 years ago and never regretted the move. But, there are so many variables in everyone's experience, so I'll just say 'Good Luck' and I hope you find what you're looking for.

Old 10-15-2009, 07:51 AM

1,225 posts, read 4,922,788 times
Took this picture from our deck this past June. We had a wet spring and summer this year and the hills were green.

Old 10-15-2009, 01:47 PM

144 posts, read 494,216 times
Wow, that's is quite beautiful.
We are looking at the Fort Collins area when I retire from the Lakeside FD in 3 years close to your old neck of the woods.
I will have to check out your area.

Old 10-15-2009, 07:58 PM

9,846 posts, read 22,679,821 times
I'd look at the east coast instead for green rolling hills with land at a decent cost.

Old 10-17-2009, 08:59 PM

24,873 posts, read 36,176,449 times
Everything green turns pretty brown for about 3/4 of the year. You might like the area around Castle Rock/Parker/Elizabeth, depending on where you work. I personally wouldn't commute to downtown Denver from out there.

Edit: I don't know what your price range is, but I would think anything with acreage would be a bit much for first time buyers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado