Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-08-2007, 09:36 AM

34 posts, read 338,438 times

Advertisements

Hi, I have heard that there is quite a bit of work in the oilfield in Colorado, I was just wondering if I could get some opinions of those that live there? Is there enough work to relocate from WY? How is the cost of living? Up here, there is a lot of workers that make $30 an hour and live in run-down places from paycheck to paycheck still struggling because they're spending most of their money on meth. (NOT everywhere, I don't want to offend anybody, but we do have quite an epidemic right now). Is it the same way down there? Any input would be appreciated, thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-08-2007, 11:27 AM

788 posts, read 1,740,881 times
I'm not sure about the job situation in the CO oilfields, except that I know that the majority of it exists in the southwest corner around Grand Junction or Delta. I have heard the housing is tight, the same way in the boom towns of Wyo, probably for the same reasons.

About the meth - My BIL works on a wyo oilfield and from what him and my DS have told me there is quite a widespread problem with substance abuse....although they are no exception. They claim to make 'really good money,' but they can't keep their phone service connected for lack of payment, just as one example. i just wonder where the money goes.

Old 05-08-2007, 11:10 PM

476 posts, read 2,318,373 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jesslo View Post
Hi, I have heard that there is quite a bit of work in the oilfield in Colorado, I was just wondering if I could get some opinions of those that live there? Is there enough work to relocate from WY? How is the cost of living? Up here, there is a lot of workers that make $30 an hour and live in run-down places from paycheck to paycheck still struggling because they're spending most of their money on meth. (NOT everywhere, I don't want to offend anybody, but we do have quite an epidemic right now). Is it the same way down there? Any input would be appreciated, thanks!
There is a ton of oilwork down here in Farmington, New Mexico and we are near the Colorado border. Many live in Colorado and work here and vice versa so you might check out this area. Farmington isnt expensive to live in except houses are on the high side for some reason. All stucco and adobe homes here. You can also live in Cortez or Durango. Wont be a problem if you are renting. You might visit the area and see. The richer people in Farmington are mostly from the oil fields here.

Old 05-26-2007, 10:02 AM

8 posts, read 63,545 times
There is a lot of oil field work in Rangely, Moab area. They are also working toward Natural Gas production. Not sure about the pay, but the lifestyle isn't the greatest. My husband worked the water trucks in Rangely for 6 years and he said the pay was lousy and most of the twon lived poor.

Now he is in Trinidad working in the gas industry. Things are a lot better here. They get $15 - $30 per hour and people are getting decent houses and cars. The town is really improving fast.

Old 06-01-2007, 08:41 AM

50 posts, read 317,485 times
I'm a former CO resident (wanna go back but too pricey) living in NE Utah which is oil BOOMING right now. I know that Rifle, Colorado is also oil booming--I don't know a lot about it but believe there is PLENTY of work. I know there's a housing boom because of the growth there, mostly from the oil field. Of course cost of living has gone up greatly but I suspect is still affordable if you're making oil bucks. Rifle isn't my favorite of CO towns but it seems okay--beautiful area, small town, etc. Meth seems to be a problem everywhere so I figure Rifle isn't any different.

Old 06-02-2007, 04:37 AM

1 posts, read 32,899 times
Smile Tons Of Work Whether In Production "pumper" Or In "drilling" Or In "excavation"

IT IS WORTH THE TRANSFER AS LONG AS YOU CAN **** CLEAN EVERYONE HERE TESTS AND SEND IT OUT TONS OF WORK NO DOUBT
Quote:
Originally Posted by jesslo View Post

Last edited by national; 06-02-2007 at 04:38 AM.. Reason: BECAUSE

Old 01-05-2009, 01:57 PM

1 posts, read 28,278 times
Work out in the Grand Junction area has slowed quite a bit. Seems that things eill pick back up, though probable not full tilt how it has been. Housing is a Little high to very high depending on what you are looking for. Renting is very high also. Most pay rate from what I can tell are between 18,20 to 35+ depending on your skill. Many of the drill companies offer per-diem of safety bonuses on top of wages. I know one company in the Farminton area, and they said that things are in a lull out there right now. Forget about living in Durango probably. Worked out of Farmington quite a bit this year and do not like that place at all. Good luck.

Old 04-07-2009, 03:31 PM

1 posts, read 27,190 times
Hey how does a guy find out which oil companies are hiriing, and what steps does he take on applying for an oil job in Colorado?

Old 04-07-2009, 05:13 PM

9,846 posts, read 22,671,465 times
The oil and gas companies are laying people off in droves and capping wells so your chances of getting hired right now are probably slim to none.

Old 04-09-2009, 07:20 AM

2,707 posts, read 6,231,719 times
You can tell this thread is two years old.

I don't know about oil, but natural gas was a big boom up here in the northeast part of the state. At the beginning of the year, they started pulling out.
People who'd had high-paying, dependable jobs for a number of years, are now unemployed.
It's big enough, communities are worried about what it's going to do to local economies who'd grown to depend on that money coming in...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado