Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-12-2007, 10:31 PM

19 posts, read 111,916 times

Advertisements

We're moving from Southern California to the Denver area. We are interested in finding the following:

-4+ bdrms, 2.5+ baths
-At least 1/3 acre
-Rolling hills/mountainous feel in area we live in with mountain views
-3 Car Gar., Walk out basement
-Close to major shopping (15 min) but to not feel like we are in suburbia--we're moving away from that!
-Good access to health food stores, acupuncturist, homeopath, etc
-DH will be commuting to DIA (not daily) so less than 1 hour commute
-Good community feel, access to community functions
-Good schools, pre-schools
-Our price range is max $550, but would prefer to stay around $475-$500

-South Denver is where we're focusing, we're considering:
-Castle Rock
-Castle Pines
-Parker
-The Pinery??? Can't really find that much info or a way to search for homes here. When I put in the Pinery's zipcode it brings up Parker addresses?

I found The Meadows in Castle Rock online and I'm impressed with the community feel. I really like The Grange and all the classes they offer. I'm just wondering what the overall 'feel' of this community is. Are there existing homes there for sale and do any have nice sized lots? I can see there is still construction going on there too. Is it going to become too crowded?

How do I search for existing homes by neighborhood? I've been looking at some realtor sites and can search by city and/or zipcode, but haven't been able to find anything where I can search by neighborhood within a city.

Anyway, thanks for all your help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-12-2007, 10:50 PM

346 posts, read 1,566,238 times
-The Pinery??? Can't really find that much info or a way to search for homes here. When I put in the Pinery's zipcode it brings up Parker addresses?

Hi. I don't live in Colorado as of yet, but am hoping to make the move from California as well. From what I've researched (and from relatives who live in Colorado), the Pinery is a subdivision of Parker--in the southern section of Parker, actually. Most homes are a bit older, but lot sizes are larger. There is a site, which I know I'm not supposed to name, that allows you to search for homes according to subdivisions, schools, street names, etc. If you want to send me a private message, I'd be glad to let you know of the site.

Can't help much with the rest of your questions, but hope this at least help a little.

Old 05-12-2007, 10:50 PM

5,747 posts, read 12,049,157 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by calikathy View Post
Are there existing homes there for sale and do any have nice sized lots?

How do I search for existing homes by neighborhood? I've been looking at some realtor sites and can search by city and/or zipcode, but haven't been able to find anything where I can search by neighborhood within a city.
You are not going to find large lots in the Meadows. Try Castlewood Ranch, which is about 12 minutes east of I-25 in Castle Rock. The zip is 80104. There is some building still happening up there, but the lots are generous, and crowding isn't an issue. Homes run the gamut from small tract houses to absolutely enormous custom jobs. All are relatively new (within the last five years or so.)

Check your PM for a website that will allow you to search by neighborhood. Disclaimer: I do not have any relationship to the website or the company who owns it other than as an occasional user.

Last edited by formercalifornian; 05-12-2007 at 11:15 PM.. Reason: Removed reference to Real Estate site

Old 05-13-2007, 09:04 AM

226 posts, read 1,369,429 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by calikathy View Post
I found The Meadows in Castle Rock online and I'm impressed with the community feel. I really like The Grange and all the classes they offer. I'm just wondering what the overall 'feel' of this community is. Are there existing homes there for sale and do any have nice sized lots? I can see there is still construction going on there too. Is it going to become too crowded?
From what I heard several months ago the Meadows still has about 10,000 homes remaining before it is built out. In my opinion it will be extremely crowded, although they are building the infrastructure to support the growth. Most of the lots are going to be 10,000sqft or less in size.

In your post you say you don't want to feel like you are in suburbia. That would eliminate the meadows and many areas of Castle Rock that are sub $500k. Castle Pines Village is very nice, but plan on spending $800k or more. Castle Pines North has some nice enclaves that do not feel like suburbia, but price will be a limiting factor. I will ditto the other posts about Castlewood Ranch and the Pinery.

From your description I would widen your search to included the Perry Park and Sage Port subdivisions in Larkspur. most of the homes are on 1 acre lots, they are all custom homes and it has much more of a mountainous feel than anything you will find in the other areas you mentioned.

Last edited by AustinTraveler; 05-13-2007 at 10:30 AM.. Reason: fixed quote

Old 05-13-2007, 11:41 AM

39 posts, read 158,600 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BenWolfe View Post
From what I heard several months ago the Meadows still has about 10,000 homes remaining before it is built out. In my opinion it will be extremely crowded, although they are building the infrastructure to support the growth. Most of the lots are going to be 10,000sqft or less in size.

In your post you say you don't want to feel like you are in suburbia. That would eliminate the meadows and many areas of Castle Rock that are sub $500k. Castle Pines Village is very nice, but plan on spending $800k or more. Castle Pines North has some nice enclaves that do not feel like suburbia, but price will be a limiting factor. I will ditto the other posts about Castlewood Ranch and the Pinery.

From your description I would widen your search to included the Perry Park and Sage Port subdivisions in Larkspur. most of the homes are on 1 acre lots, they are all custom homes and it has much more of a mountainous feel than anything you will find in the other areas you mentioned.
I am also looking in the same area for a very similar property though I would more than happy with 1/2 acre or .40 of a acre. How about Crystal Valley Ranch in Castle Rock? I think many of there lots are bigger than the standard 10000sq ft. and the prices seem to be pretty good.

Old 05-13-2007, 12:32 PM

Crystal Valley Ranch has two distinctly different areas. Painters Ridge is a custom home area with custom homes on .5 to 1.5 acre lots. The home are along the top ridge and have great views of the mountains. Expect to spend over $650k for something in Painter's Rider. The rest of crystal valley ranch are tract homes with lots typically between 1/4 and 1/3 acre in size. They will be breaking ground on a very nice rec center soon. Overall this is a nice area and a good choice.

Old 05-13-2007, 02:55 PM

111 posts, read 610,296 times
Im in Castle Rock, Founders, Castlewood Ranch area.

Of the things you mentioned, for Castle Rock at least, I believe Castle Pines may be the best area for you, then the Meadows as second best. Castlewood Ranch is nice, but lacks much quick access. There are some reaaly nice homes right along Founders Parkway leading up to Founders and Castlewood Ranch that are hilly, tree'd and have bigger lots. They all look to be probably 700K+, my guess. I cant think of what this development is called at the moment, sorry.

Castle Pines is the most tree'd and hilly feeling, Castle Pines North (seperate from Castle Pines) isn't as well tree'd but has a hilly feeling to it with great walking/running trail, better access to things. Nice newer homes, but not very big lots (probably all .3 acre, however). The prices are in your range.

Meadows does have a great community feel-its own movie theater, great trails, towncenter on its way, the grange is nice and the park/pool near it are great. You'll get a bit more for your $ than Castle Pines.

Castlwood Ranch, southern end, has bigger lots, backs to open land and has some canyon non-paved trails (although none are more than 1/2 mile or so). The southern end are fairly pricey-$500 to million?, (along Lost Canyon Rd area). There is plenty of $200 to 500 in Founders, Castlewwod Ranch, but not the southern end. Not the really nice houses, but fine.

I personally think all these areas feel pretty 'suburban', though. Lots of commuting to southern metro area.

Im not as familiar with the Pinery in Parker, but have been there several times. Nice area off of Parker Rd and Pinery Parkway, Some older, well established homes on bigger lots, some newer very nice place too, both large and small lots. I believe its all fairly pricey, but I think you're in the right ballpark. Has trees and sorta hilly. Keep in mind that its farther east, farther away from mountains. Parker itself has all the support facilities (shopping, big box places, chain restaurants) and a nicer mainstreet area (nicer than downtown Castle Rock IMO but neither are overly large or impressive).

They are all good areas, w/ good schools. Depends on where you plan on working too. You should definately consider Highlands Ranch as well. Its definately suburban, but all in all, I feel better than all that I've mentioned. Considering they ALL feel sububan, you might as well be closer to everything.

Hope than helps, good luck.

Old 05-13-2007, 06:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan6200alt View Post
There are some reaaly nice homes right along Founders Parkway leading up to Founders and Castlewood Ranch that are hilly, tree'd and have bigger lots. They all look to be probably 700K+, my guess. I cant think of what this development is called at the moment, sorry.
This area is Pinion Soleil and Timber Canyon. It is hard to find anything for under $1,000,000 and most are around $1.5 mil. Great area, but you pay for it.

Old 05-13-2007, 06:54 PM

5,747 posts, read 12,049,157 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BenWolfe View Post
This area is Pinion Soleil and Timber Canyon. It is hard to find anything for under $1,000,000 and most are around $1.5 mil. Great area, but you pay for it.
You might also be referring to Escavera, which has a website if you want to google it. Also quite pricey, but probably a little less than the areas listed above. I think the houses start at $400k. Many lots (the most expensive, of course) have absolutely gorgeous views of the foothills.

Old 05-13-2007, 07:11 PM

111 posts, read 610,296 times
...I was thinking of the ones close to where Founders Parkway and Crowfoot meet. Just across (where that nice fountain is) and along founders going up the hill-not as far up as Escavera, which I failed to mention. Those are sure nice too. Talk about some amazing views from many of those houses.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado