Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-01-2009, 01:13 PM

33 posts, read 94,417 times

Advertisements

I live in MA and my daughter is only 1.5 but she is severly developmentally delayed (no diagnosis). We have been in the Early Intervention program in MA since she was 7 months old and we will continue with it until she is 3 - it has been great. At the age of 3, she would transition to preschool where she would get all her therapies through school (assuming she doesn't show a HUGE leap in development and catch up - though we can still hope : ) So, its a bit premature, but my husband and I would love to move west. But now with our daughter having these special needs, it crucial we move somewhere where she will have great support. Anyone have any recommendations on towns, cities or areas with great special needs programs, etc. We love Colorado and the mountain views. Love the Boulder vibe and charm but its a little pricey for us. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated - Thanks everybody!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-01-2009, 01:34 PM

8,317 posts, read 29,476,427 times
You are probably stuck with being in one of the major metro areas to get those types of services. Also, understand that Colorado has very restrictive Constitutional amendments that severely limit public funding of all services, and specialized services are no exception. Because they are constitutionally mandated, those revenue restrictions are very difficult to modify and are not flexible at all during tough economic times. You can probably not reasonably expect to see the level of services that you are used to where you live now. Colorado lacks both the population to support them, and the public commitment to adequately fund them. I speak with some personal knowledge here--my ex-wife has worked with developmentally disabled kids for most of her career, and the continual lack of adequate funding and silly mandates has been a constant source of frustration for her throughout her multi-decade career (all of it in Colorado).

Old 12-01-2009, 04:02 PM

1,938 posts, read 7,126,349 times
This is not true though in COS. Fountain especially- due to its military population has an ample supply of monies coming in. They honestly look at the needs and FAPE. This would be school district 8. I too am in the sped field and just moved to VA and hating it here. I am appalled at the lack of support for sped. Back in Fountain, if a student needed something- wham it was provided. If a sped teacher needed something- wham it was given or funds where provided. Huge on communication too. There are always issues no matter where you go and I have heard of other stories of issues. Shoot, I know several families who purposely moved to Fountain just because of the sped services provided.
Please know that jazzlover's comment can be true but it isn't the case in Fountain D8.
Good luck.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
View detailed profiles of: