Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-18-2007, 08:17 AM

1 posts, read 4,497 times

Advertisements

Hi,

I am new to the board.

Does anyone know anyone who lives in Sugar City?

Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-23-2007, 06:34 PM

49 posts, read 274,109 times
No, but I'm about to know someone living in Olney Springs....just down the road.

Old 08-28-2007, 03:51 PM

2 posts, read 7,382 times
Default Used to know a lot of people in Sugar City

I used to live there in the summer with lloyd rogers and his dad. he had/has a lot of family in Sugar City. I would love to talk to his sister but have no way of getting in touch with her.

Old 09-23-2013, 09:01 AM

2 posts, read 4,501 times
I'm currently visiting my son here in Sugar City, Co. I have traveled and lived many places in this country, but I must say that Sugar City is the worse place I have been. It is very dry, very flat, most homes having only dirt for a yard simply because the water fees are so high making it prohibitive to water a yard. Most homes were built forty or so years ago and are in severe states of disrepair.
There are no activities in Sugar City, unless you consider the cafe an activity. There is no hunting because most farmers or ranchers here won't allow hunters and there is no fishing because Co sells it's water to Kansas, that and the severe drought for years here, the lakes are most times dry.
Only two miles west of Sugar City is a large feed lot which usually houses thousands of cows. All the untreated run off from the feed lot goes into Lake Meridith, which the locals take their children to frolic in. I prefer to call it Lake E-Coli. The smell from the feed lot drifts into town early mornings and evenings. The dust which contains dried powdered manure which contains undigested antibiotics and growth hormones covers Sugar City and is even worse in Ordway which is to the west of the feed lot. There is no sewage treatment plant here, but only open settling ponds, so between the manure and human waste, it's nasty smelling most of the time.
The only revenue for Sugar City is the land taxes which are very low, and the water which is very high and a struggling trash service. Another source of revenue is provided by the code enforcers who look for weeds in yards and seem to me to be very selective about who the law is enforced onto. I wouldn't recommend it to anyone searching for somewhere to move or vacation.

Old 09-23-2013, 03:24 PM

18,036 posts, read 27,479,203 times
I heard that Sugar City was just like Chivington, without all the glitter.

Wow. Nice soap box there. Why somebody would waste their breath on a has-been one-horse ghost town like Sugar City is beyond me.

Why don't you go back and tell us something we don't know. If it wasn't for the ineptitude of Pueblo County commissioners voting down the WM distribution center, the Ark Valley might be thriving again like it was some two generations ago.

Let me clue you in about Colorado water laws. They don't sell water to Kansas. They give them money when we don't send them enough of THEIR WATER. It's THEIR WATER. GET IT? Colorado got taken to the woodshed by Kansas Lawyers a century ago. Welcome to the Ark Valley.

Hopefully La Junta Econ will be by shortly to add more.

Nothing wrong with detention ponds for wastewater. They are cheap and they stink. The trick is to not move into the buffer zone and complain about the smell. With no money in the budget and with the area severely drought-stricken, do you have a better plan?

Old 09-28-2013, 08:33 PM

350 posts, read 848,774 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by B.G. Pinto View Post
All the untreated run off from the feed lot goes into Lake Meridith, which the locals take their children to frolic in. I prefer to call it Lake E-Coli.
Based on evidence of contamination and cases of infection, or your opinion of feed yards? I've never heard of anyone getting sick from Merideth.

Quote:
The dust which contains dried powdered manure which contains undigested antibiotics and growth hormones covers Sugar City and is even worse in Ordway which is to the west of the feed lot.
Thats a new one.

Old 10-07-2013, 05:49 PM

2 posts, read 4,501 times
McGowdog, My letter was more of a warning to anyone who might consider moving here, just my humble opinion about the place. Must be the atmosphere in SE colorado, you sound like most of the grouchy old people here. lol.

As far as no one reportedly becoming sick from swimming in Meridith, aka Beautiful Lake E-Coli, some illnesses take years to show up.

Ohazco, As far as your ignorance about the undigested antibiotics and growth hormones in the dried, powdered, airborne manure dust,,, too bad for your lack of knowledge about what goes into commercially grown beef and what comes out the other end.

Old 10-07-2013, 06:08 PM

12,262 posts, read 24,470,623 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by McGowdog View Post
If it wasn't for the ineptitude of Pueblo County commissioners voting down the WM distribution center, the Ark Valley might be thriving again like it was some two generations ago.
I agree with this 100%. Walmart for people who do not know.

Old 10-08-2013, 01:08 PM

18,036 posts, read 27,479,203 times
Quote:
McGowdog...just my humble opinion...
Humble opinion?

Quote:
Must be the atmosphere in SE colorado, you sound like most of the grouchy old people here. lol.
Ah! There went your humility. You're gonna come in here with your two posts and set yourself up as an expert witness to my character? Good luck with that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josseppie View Post
...Walmart for people who do not know.
Walmart Distribution Center to be more accurate.
Quote:
Ohazco, As far as your ignorance about
Ah! More judgement and putdowns of folks you don't even know, folks who live in the area. Nice try. Heaven forbid somebody catch a germ or something. Nutrients and biology have been going on for at least thousands if not millions and billions of years. Yet, here we are. I wouldn't want to live near a feed lot nor a pasture nor fertilized farm land nor a set of waste retention ponds etc., but it's a source of income for some.

This may be a huge news flash to you, but Sugar City is not the mecca of Southeastern Colorado. It's a stone's throw away from Ordway and two stone's throw away from Rocky Ford. Lake Meridith is primarily a reservoir for farmers anyway.

There again, it seems to me to be in distaste to sick a needle in the eye of a region devastated by a rough economy and a long drought. Why don't you go frolic up somewhere in the lush Front Range between Longmont and Fort Collins? You'll be in good company as there's plenty of other folks there.

Quote:
I wouldn't recommend it to anyone searching for somewhere to move or vacation.
Well nice cape, Captain Obvious. Don't move to nor vacation in Sugar City! We're in agreement there. If you CAN live and work in and enjoy yourself there, hats off to ya.

Last edited by McGowdog; 10-08-2013 at 01:24 PM..

Old 10-08-2013, 02:39 PM

12,262 posts, read 24,470,623 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by McGowdog View Post

Walmart Distribution Center to be more accurate.

Good point. I have cousins who are farmers east of Pueblo and they tell me how that would of really helped out rural farmers east of town had it been built in Pueblo West.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado