Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-06-2010, 11:51 AM

14,129 posts, read 31,257,288 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 80skeys View Post
The air might be clean.
But what about the water? I seem to recall those parts of Virginia have seen a lot of mining and deforestation. These things always pollute the water.
No mining or deforestation around the Blue Ridge there. It's all untouched national forest up top. You're thinking the southwest part of the state or West VA where they do coal mining. The only real pollutants would be animal related (cattle mostly) but they tend to be down in the lower areas and would only affect the open streams. It's mostly patureland so not much in the way of insecticides, pesticides, or fertilizers either. Once you get up at any elevation or tap it underground the water is very clean. The only major downside versus somewhere like CO would be the summer humidity. Winters are normally pretty mild.

Last edited by CAVA1990; 01-06-2010 at 12:04 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-06-2010, 12:04 PM

3,296 posts, read 9,690,487 times
You might consider eastern Oregon. Not sure if it would fit all of your criteria, but it's worth a look!

Old 01-17-2010, 04:11 PM

621 posts, read 1,054,244 times
I'm from the Durango area, actually Mancos, and have no negative air quality issues to report. There is no haze in the sky.

I know Durango proper is too populated for my taste, but I believe the train may add to the ozone readings there, but we have fresh air in the rural areas for the most part. We also have a large amount of people who homeschool.

Durango is more of a tourist town and Mancos is a very small community. However, inside both communities, you will find no shortage of earth friendly people.

Old 01-17-2010, 04:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robinstyler View Post
but I believe the train may add to the ozone readings there,
They just refuse to switch from coal to diesel.

Old 01-17-2010, 04:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAVA1990 View Post
They just refuse to switch from coal to diesel.
I believe that is because if they switch they fear losing the tourism that brings a large amount of people in each year.

Since the train is of historical significance, purists come to see it and ride it. Riding this train allows people to enjoy some of the most difficult to reach areas and is an incredible experience. The locomotives are 1923-25 vintage and are maintained in original condition.

Home | Durango & Silverton Narrow Gauge Railroad Train

It may seem selfish, but without the train, Durango would have failed years ago. During the savings and loan scandals, the banks and many businesses were failing. The train along with Kroegers (now, Kroegers Ace Hardware) and Strater Hotel pooled their money together and kept the community together.

Durango is a town with a tight knit community that is remarkably environmentally conscious. Looking at the town as a whole, it's doing pretty well.

Old 01-17-2010, 04:53 PM

I was joking. Tough to buy narrow gauge diesels off the lot.

Old 01-17-2010, 04:55 PM

8,317 posts, read 29,476,427 times
The coal smoke from the railroad is a visible pollution source because it contains a lot of particulates, but as a source of bad air quality, it is very small and limited. In fact, all of the tourists' motor vehicles running around Durango are a much more significant source of pollution than the railroad could ever hope to be.

As to switching to oil, it would raise the operating costs for the railroad exponentially, and oil-burning steam locomotives are only marginally cleaner than coal. Considering that there are less than about a hundred operating steam locomotives in North America now, the historical significance of those in Durango is far greater than any pollution considerations.

And, make no mistake about this, shut the train in Durango down, and about 50% of the Durango economy would disappear. Oh, and the railroad was in Durango first--in fact, it platted and developed the town.

Old 01-17-2010, 04:55 PM

Lol@CAVA1990

Old 01-17-2010, 05:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzlover View Post
And, make no mistake about this, shut the train in Durango down, and about 50% of the Durango economy would disappear. .
Yeah just ask those poor folks over in Animas City.

Old 01-17-2010, 05:06 PM

8,317 posts, read 29,476,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CAVA1990 View Post
Yeah just ask those poor folks over in Animas City.
Unlike 99.9% of the folks on this forum, I actually know where Animas City was/is.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado