Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-02-2010, 05:44 PM

19,012 posts, read 29,724,589 times

Advertisements

Production Support Sys. Analyst/Admin.

Duration: 2 yrs.

Rate: DOE.

JOB DESCRIPTION:

5+ yrs of Exp. working with Oracle, TOAD & PL/SQL.

Exp. developing Custom Reports using Microsoft Macros and PL/SQL.

3+ yrs of Exp. with VBA, Crystal, MS Excel & MS Office.

Excellent Communication and Interpersonal skills.

Real Estate or Property Management exp. is a plus.

Any takers? DM me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-03-2010, 11:10 AM

Here's another in Broomfield, CO.

Guys..... DM me.

Alert to mods: I'm not into any kind of referral business. Just exercising good samaritan-hood

I still get these techie emails coz I was a techie about 3 years ago. I have moved on towards functionals and management. So all these emails I get are personal ones. The good thing about this recruiter is that he is in Greenwood Village. So, local folks will get preference.

Actuate Software Engineer
9 month contract to hire

As an Actuate Software Engineer, you will be responsible for the design, development and testing of Actuate reports using Actuates e.Report System.

Qualifications Required:
·2+ years experience with data querying and reporting.
·2+ years experience with a commercial reporting tool like Actuate or Crystal Reports.
·2+ years experience with JSP/Java front-end.
·Strong SQL programming experience.
·Experience in Solaris/Linux environment.
·BS in Computer Science, Computer Engineering, or related field.

Preferred:
  • Experience with customization of Actuate 8.0 Active Portal.
  • Understanding of telecom/OSS solutions and their use to automate service provider business processes.

Old 02-04-2010, 04:31 PM
qsr

47 posts, read 104,595 times
Here's my $.02 on the tech hiring process right now. People (myself included) are light on skills, because they do what is required for their job and that's about it. I've never heard of Actuate, and neither have 99% of the people out there who are qualified to do that job. I would need about 2 months of training and then would be off to the races.

My point is that people who are doing the hiring & headhunters look at things like it's a puzzle. You tell everyone in the world that you are looking for this one particular puzzle piece, and eventually it shows up on your doorstep. Match enough of your "previous job experience" checkmarks, and you get hired.

I think this has made me guilty of looking for jobs in a similar way. I've gotten enough "oh..yeah well we're really gonna need a guy that knows SOAP or else..." What they are saying is.. we have so many applicants that we can only screen people based on their previous job experience. By now I know that 90% of the job listings that come my way aren't worth replying to because they are a dead end.

Basically I have quite a bit of Unix experience, but I've never been a SA, so I won't bother you with my resume. It's such a buyers market that all you have to do is wait long enough and your prince will arrive. Hiring engineers right now is sort of like being a really hot single young woman in Menver--take your pick. You might pick the abusive boyfriend, but at least he'll meet your needs. The days of hiring people because they are intelligent and have good critical thinking skills has long passed. Okay it's debatable as to whether that was ever the case, but things have changed. Smart people used to be able to get a job, even if the skill match wasn't perfect.

BTW that's just my own frustrated rant--I'm not responding to any of the above posts specifically. I hope you all find the right match for your job postings. If you have trouble filling your Unix job DM me and I'll consider it. I like the desert and I'm ready for a fresh start.

Old 02-05-2010, 08:39 AM

6,288 posts, read 11,782,238 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by qsr View Post

My point is that people who are doing the hiring & headhunters look at things like it's a puzzle.
Don't get me started on headhunters. Some of them are good, but a lot of them aren't qualified to make IT placement decisions.

Quote:
Basically I have quite a bit of Unix experience, but I've never been a SA, so I won't bother you with my resume.
Well ... SA work is a whole different ball game. that's why most SA jobs require prior experience. There's a big difference between using Unix as a user and doing SA work on it.

System administration is one of those things they don't teach in school.

Quote:
The days of hiring people because they are intelligent and have good critical thinking skills has long passed.
I empathize with your frustration but I would phrase this differently. Intelligent people who are good workers and have experience are always going to be an asset in the workplace.

Quote:
Okay it's debatable as to whether that was ever the case, but things have changed. Smart people used to be able to get a job, even if the skill match wasn't perfect.
I agree. The problem nowadays is that these idiot recruiting agencies and headhunters don't know what they're doing when it comes to IT. They've got no clue. They don't understand the thinking abilities are the same regardless of which area of IT you've been working in. If someone has proven themselves in one area, they've got what it takes to do another.

But how can we expect someone who never studied and probably has no aptitude for any kind of engineering/science to understand this.

Case in point. Here's an example of someone who DID understand this. Several years ago I was looking for a job. I had a little SA experience under my belt, but I had very minimal programming experience (nothing on the job) although I did have my degree in Applied Math. So I happened to be talking with a former boss of mine. I had worked several months for him doing documentation as a part timer. This guy was a very smart Electrical engineer and software whiz. You know what he told me? He said they had an opening for a programmer on a defense contract and he'd have no problem hiring me for it. Why did he say this? Because he knew that if you can make it through several years of college studying mathematics, you can learn to do what it takes to be a programmer.

Quote:
BTW that's just my own frustrated rant--I'm not responding to any of the above posts specifically. I hope you all find the right match for your job postings. If you have trouble filling your Unix job DM me and I'll consider it. I like the desert and I'm ready for a fresh start.
I'll DM you. If for some reason you don't receive it, DM me. I'll give you the specifics.

Old 02-05-2010, 05:25 PM

82 posts, read 478,946 times
Any recommendations to someone in the IT field who currently lives out of state but is interested in moving to CO? Is it possible? Does this make the local/unemployed IT guru grumble?

I currently work for a defense contractor, and was thinking about bringing up relocating at my yearly review. Alternatively, was going to see if anyone on this board has recommendations on how to get a foot in the door.

Have formal EDU, < 3 years sys/net admin experience, and am currently working on building up my certs.

cheers.

Old 02-06-2010, 07:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HibbityDibbity View Post
Any recommendations to someone in the IT field who currently lives out of state but is interested in moving to CO? Is it possible? Does this make the local/unemployed IT guru grumble?

I currently work for a defense contractor, and was thinking about bringing up relocating at my yearly review. Alternatively, was going to see if anyone on this board has recommendations on how to get a foot in the door.

Have formal EDU, < 3 years sys/net admin experience, and am currently working on building up my certs.

cheers.
I don't have any particular recommendations. Just the usual thing of using the internet (indeed, careerbuilder, craigslist, monster) to look for jobs. The job market for IT is pretty slow in Colorado, including Denver. The amount of experience you have is still considered entry level. Denver employers favor local candidates. All these things will work against you as you apply for jobs. More than likely you will see very minimal response to your job applications.

You stand a much greater chance exploring the option of transfering with your current employer. There's a lot of defense work in Colorado Springs. Less of that, but some, in the Denver area.

Finally, if you already have a security clearance, then ignore everything I said in my first paragraph. You can get a job easily. It's a no brainer. You could move to Colorado Springs without any job prospects and find yourself working in a week.

Old 02-08-2010, 11:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 80skeys View Post
I don't have any particular recommendations. Just the usual thing of using the internet (indeed, careerbuilder, craigslist, monster) to look for jobs. The job market for IT is pretty slow in Colorado, including Denver. The amount of experience you have is still considered entry level. Denver employers favor local candidates. All these things will work against you as you apply for jobs. More than likely you will see very minimal response to your job applications.

You stand a much greater chance exploring the option of transfering with your current employer. There's a lot of defense work in Colorado Springs. Less of that, but some, in the Denver area.

Finally, if you already have a security clearance, then ignore everything I said in my first paragraph. You can get a job easily. It's a no brainer. You could move to Colorado Springs without any job prospects and find yourself working in a week.
Thanks a lot for the feedback. I do have a clearance . I'm in limbo a bit with my current job -- looking for something a bit more challenging, and wondering the best route to go (pros/cons between private/public sector, volatility, compensation, etc.) Looks like if I stick around here long enough I might be up to get converted to DoD/Civil Service. Trying to figure out if that would be a better avenue then staying on the contract side.

Old 02-08-2010, 02:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HibbityDibbity View Post
Thanks a lot for the feedback. I do have a clearance . I'm in limbo a bit with my current job -- looking for something a bit more challenging, and wondering the best route to go (pros/cons between private/public sector, volatility, compensation, etc.) Looks like if I stick around here long enough I might be up to get converted to DoD/Civil Service. Trying to figure out if that would be a better avenue then staying on the contract side.
I was a contractor for five years in D.C. The problem with contract work, as you know, is lack of job security. The good thing about it is if you don't like where you work, you can easily switch.

As you know the advantage to being a Fed, is job security and benefits.

I personally feel it's an even toss up between the two. EAch has its advantages and disadvantages. At the end of the day, it probably doesn't matter which one you choose.

Anyway, with a clearance you can literally quit your job, move to Colorado Springs and have a brand new job (as a contractor) in a week.

Old 02-08-2010, 03:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 80skeys View Post
I was a contractor for five years in D.C. The problem with contract work, as you know, is lack of job security. The good thing about it is if you don't like where you work, you can easily switch.

As you know the advantage to being a Fed, is job security and benefits.

I personally feel it's an even toss up between the two. EAch has its advantages and disadvantages. At the end of the day, it probably doesn't matter which one you choose.

Anyway, with a clearance you can literally quit your job, move to Colorado Springs and have a brand new job (as a contractor) in a week.
Yep! New fiscal year makes us contractors nervous when we hear upper management saying funding for us comes out of the same pile as office supplies.

Do you know which federal contractors are best known in the area? Demand is really that high for people with clearance?

Old 02-08-2010, 05:06 PM

Any takers? This is in Pennsylvania.

------------------------

Overview:

The Lead Database Developer position is responsible for performing complex data architecture, analysis, design, and documentation. The position also requires the ability to perform highly sophisticated and complex data management tasks to support the site. Persons filling this position are expected to work independently leading data management initiatives within the internet technology strategy.

Responsibilities:

1. Develops statements of problems, designs systems and programs, and writes programs in computer language for a solution by means of data processing equipment. Modifies and tests programs in Development environment for release to production. Troubleshoots issues reported in production environment Coordinates with Quality Control in final resolution of issues and production release of programs.

2. Interacts with end users and line managers to gather requirements, conduct user acceptance, and lead implementation phase, Interacts with third party vendors, maintenance of SQL 2000/2005 databases, with associated utilities, troubleshoot and resolve SQL, ASP, XML and VB utilities, design and develop internal reports and workflow applications, other duties as deemed necessary by senior management.

3. Development, implementation and support of all programming and workflow associated with MS SQL 2000/ 2005 databases, Development of new client-server and web-based applications.

Qualifications:

Four year degree and 7 years of experience required.

Also required:
- TSQL,SQL, Stored Procedures, Triggers, DTS.
- Highly skilled in MS SQL Server 2005.
- Relational DB Concepts (Entity Relation, Database Normalization etc.)
- Extensive reporting background.
- DTS, SSIS, SQL Server Analysis Services.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado