Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-24-2010, 07:14 AM

10 posts, read 37,764 times

Advertisements

It is next to depressing trying to find a job. I have been looking since August of last year and I have been trying to be a good person in that I am only looking for part time since my husband has a job. I figure I will let someone else (households where nobody is working) have the full time jobs. Also, I think it's terrible for those who have a full time job to be looking and taking a second job. We need to all work together so everyone has a job. Anyone else having trouble finding a job in GJ??
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-24-2010, 12:22 PM

3,296 posts, read 9,690,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoloradolady View Post
It is next to depressing trying to find a job. I have been looking since August of last year and I have been trying to be a good person in that I am only looking for part time since my husband has a job. I figure I will let someone else (households where nobody is working) have the full time jobs. Also, I think it's terrible for those who have a full time job to be looking and taking a second job. We need to all work together so everyone has a job. Anyone else having trouble finding a job in GJ??
I'm sorry you're having such trouble finding a job. However, to say that people with full-time jobs shouldn't be able to look for a second job is ridiculous! You don't know everyone's situation, and it may be that their full-time job isn't enough to keep their heads above water. I imagine this is especially true for people who bought homes at the height of the market and have a mortgage payment that is well above what they can reasonably afford. Good luck on your job search!

Old 01-25-2010, 10:30 AM

6,288 posts, read 11,782,238 times
I keep hearing the job market is not good in Junction. Sorry to hear about your situation.

Old 01-25-2010, 04:36 PM

1,963 posts, read 4,983,491 times
What kind of jobs have you looked for?

Old 01-25-2010, 06:12 PM

18,218 posts, read 25,861,807 times
It is REALLY rough over here, the worst I have seen in a couple decades. It's not hitting the peak of the mass exodus of people who bugged out of here because of the oil shale fiasco of 1982, let's hope it doesn't get that bad. Mesa County's bankruptcy rate is WAY up. Just in today's Daily Sentinel there is another story of another long time mom and pop business closing their doors. Valley Lumber finally had to close their doors after being in business since the 1930's. Yes, they were able to withstand the huge, impersonal behemoth supermarket home improvement outfits because of one thing in huge capitol letters-CUSTOMER SERVICE! Sorry for this little off topic rant, I know one of the people who worked there.

I live in Fruita. In every fast food outfit on hwy. 340 here in town there are a few people in their 50's working for them-all of them. One lives in my neighborhood and I talked to him yesterday. He told me, "I'm happy to have a job-period."

Several days ago there was a story about a sizable on line employment data firm that has labeled Grand Junction "the worst place to try to find employment at this time". It didn't make huge news here, as this isn't exactly a huge secret with the local media, though we do get Fox 31 out of Denver for early morning and 9 p.m. news and was reported on that as well. I don't have a link on that story but will try to find one later.

On another related thread that I posted on last week I stated that the Colorado Workforce Center has nothing going on for the unemployed right now.

Old 01-27-2010, 09:25 AM

6,288 posts, read 11,782,238 times
I was told today that Home Depot and Sam's Club are laying off local employees.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado