Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-03-2010, 07:07 AM

1,472 posts, read 2,631,228 times

Advertisements

Could some people that have lived in, or currently live in, Parker and/or CR, give some pros and cons and comparisons of the 2 towns?

Here are some areas of interest:
~is one 'slower', less 'going on' than the other? or, not too much of a difference in that aspect?
~convenience and/or proximity to downtown, is one better than the other? or is parker more east making up for the fact that CR is more south?
~does one have more of a country feel? and if so, is it even noticeable?
~as for parks, does one have more or larger/better parks ie playgrounds etc?
~does one have better/more access to 'stores' or shopping than the other?
~re schools, does one or other have better known quality schools?

any other info that you could give above and beyond those above, would be awesome!
Thank you very much.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-03-2010, 07:35 AM

11,829 posts, read 34,444,869 times
They are very similar towns in the same county. Since both are in the same school district, you will find variations on schools depending on the specific teachers and administrators. You can find rural, small town and suburban in both places.

Which downtown? CR, Parker & Denver all have their own.

Parker has a water park. Castle Rock has better dog parks.

Old 02-03-2010, 09:25 AM

2,437 posts, read 8,185,601 times
I know not much about Parker, but assuming that CR = Castle Rock, here are some pro's and con's:
Pros:
* Fairly easy access to downtown Denver (30-45 min., or more, depending on traffic)
* A great community rec center with 2 nice swimming pools
* A nice little downtown with soem decent shops and restaruants but no excess of tourist junk.
* It's the southern end of Dever's burbs so it has good access mountains (west), buttes&canyons (east) and preserved open space (south)
* They also have a pretty unique, bicycle-only terrain park and some very well-kept city parks.
Cons:
* Outside of their little downtown, it's VERY SUBURBAN... mostly tract housing, chain stores, and an outlet mall.
* If you're looking for a quiet country life, Castle Rock is NOT IT, but there are some places within 15-20 minute drive that could offer that.
* if you're looking for an exciting city life, Castle Rock is also NOT IT. Go to downtown Denver (or SF or NYC) for that.

Old 02-03-2010, 09:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2bindenver View Post
They are very similar towns in the same county. Since both are in the same school district, you will find variations on schools depending on the specific teachers and administrators. You can find rural, small town and suburban in both places.

Which downtown? CR, Parker & Denver all have their own.

Parker has a water park. Castle Rock has better dog parks.
I meant downtown Denver.
Can you address this?: " ~is one 'slower', less 'going on' than the other? or, not too much of a difference in that aspect?"

thanks.

Old 02-03-2010, 09:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by treedonkey;12737119[B
]* If you're looking for a quiet country life, Castle Rock is NOT IT, but there are some places within 15-20 minute drive that could offer that.[/b]
treedonkey, could you elaborate a bit on the bolded? Is CR not quiet? From what I gather from research and the fact that it's got a ton of open space, it seemed to 'country' like to me....and my husband just was there and said it was 'super' quiet.....(?) So, maybe too quiet. So, your comment is quite thought-provoking.
Now I am very interested in your clarification...thanks!

Old 02-03-2010, 09:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by twowolves View Post
treedonkey, could you elaborate a bit on the bolded? Is CR not quiet? From what I gather from research and the fact that it's got a ton of open space, it seemed to 'country' like to me....and my husband just was there and said it was 'super' quiet.....(?) So, maybe too quiet. So, your comment is quite thought-provoking.
Now I am very interested in your clarification...thanks!
It's quiet enough as suburbs go, but it is definitely NOT country life. In other words, you won't be able to live on your own ranch or wooded acreage with no neighbors within rock-throwing distance. For that you will have to head southwest and pay through the nose for it or head due east and live on the plains. In castle rock, the most common type of domicile is a huge new home with a nearly identical one about 50 feet way.

Old 02-03-2010, 10:46 AM

5,747 posts, read 12,055,772 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by treedonkey View Post
It's quiet enough as suburbs go, but it is definitely NOT country life. In other words, you won't be able to live on your own ranch or wooded acreage with no neighbors within rock-throwing distance. For that you will have to head southwest and pay through the nose for it or head due east and live on the plains. In castle rock, the most common type of domicile is a huge new home with a nearly identical one about 50 feet way.
Fifty feet away? I'd say more like 15'-20' tops.

Old 02-03-2010, 11:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by formercalifornian View Post
Fifty feet away? I'd say more like 15'-20' tops.
Yes, you're probably right. I was just afraid that some CR resident would see my post and get incensed if I was exaggerating. I really don't know what the setback requirements are there, and it can vary by neighborhood anyways. Here in my neighborhood it's 25' so that's where I came up with 50'... But I don't even live in CR and most of the houses up there do look awfully close together to me.

Old 02-05-2010, 10:15 AM

1,904 posts, read 3,989,173 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by treedonkey View Post
I know not much about Parker, but assuming that CR = Castle Rock, here are some pro's and con's:
Pros:
* Fairly easy access to downtown Denver (30-45 min., or more, depending on traffic)
* A great community rec center with 2 nice swimming pools
* A nice little downtown with soem decent shops and restaruants but no excess of tourist junk.
* It's the southern end of Dever's burbs so it has good access mountains (west), buttes&canyons (east) and preserved open space (south)
* They also have a pretty unique, bicycle-only terrain park and some very well-kept city parks.
Cons:
* Outside of their little downtown, it's VERY SUBURBAN... mostly tract housing, chain stores, and an outlet mall.
* If you're looking for a quiet country life, Castle Rock is NOT IT, but there are some places within 15-20 minute drive that could offer that.
* if you're looking for an exciting city life, Castle Rock is also NOT IT. Go to downtown Denver (or SF or NYC) for that.
Great way to describe it, Treedonkey. I totally agree. Castle Rock is definitely suburban and not rural.

My wife and I really like the downtown area and enjoy several of the local restaurants.

Depending on the OP's budget, there is the possibility of having a home outside of the 25-50' range of your neighbors - bell mountain ranch and diamond ridge - but they are pricey. I agree that the majority of the neighborhoods don't offer this.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado