Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-21-2010, 01:06 PM

34 posts, read 108,108 times

Advertisements

Hello! I will be in Cortez 2 full days toward the end of May on a leisure trip. I know one of the days I plan on going to Mesa Verde, hiking and exploring. The other day I wanted to head out the 4-corners area.

I know Mesa Verde is an all day thing and I am not worried about that day. However I wanted some suggestions to fill the day I plan on going to the 4-corners area. Anything suggesting places to see or places to hike, thanks.

Also I am sure there may not be much of a night life there. Are there any good places to get a drink in Cortez thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-21-2010, 06:31 PM

118 posts, read 310,594 times
If you are thinking of spending the day around the four corners monument itself, be aware that it's not much to see and is pretty isolated. We went once and it was worth about 45 mintues...

I'm sure you can find something in Cortez proper, but if you're willing to travel 12-15 miles, Dolores River Brewing is a pretty decent place. Just check their hours before you go.

Old 03-21-2010, 08:05 PM

7,787 posts, read 8,029,439 times
not sure but they recently located the real four corners with gps and it was under const. bout 12 miles away so id pass unless you get an update. got a picof me with my limbs in all four states from the 70's that is no longer valid. lots of good restaurents and nitespots in Cortez to hit. be sure to check out the visitor center. one of the best entering Co lots of local info books etc. enjoy

Old 03-21-2010, 08:19 PM

18,218 posts, read 25,857,597 times
A couple suggestions here for you ryjb. The Anazasi Heritage Center is worth the trip. It is not far from Cortez, actually located closer to Dolores, I'm guessing 12 miles away. Admission is quite reasonable, I think the price is just a few dollars. It is definitely worth your while. Phone # is 970-882-5600. It provides a good overview on the history of the Anazasi Indians, the archaeological features in the area, etc. As you're new to the area, go there first. You'll be glad you did.

The Hovenweep National Monument is northwest of Cortez off hwy. 491, straight west of Pleasant View. It doesn't get the traffic and the publicity, but it is a very interesting group of ruins. Lowery ruins, Cutthroat castle, and Escalante are the most noted ruins in the area. As you're traveling there in late May, the roads in and out of there should be fine.The National Park Service has updated their website on the monument. I think you would really enjoy it.

Old 03-22-2010, 10:58 AM

6,288 posts, read 11,780,716 times
You can try fishing the Dolores river.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado