Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-11-2007, 03:23 PM

17 posts, read 51,633 times

Advertisements

Hi. I have applied to this school district because of the pay. I see the pay is comparable to what I earn here in Los Angeles. I have read that it a terrible district, but have not gotten the specifics on why. I realize it has low achieving schools, but this not what I want to know more about. I would like to hear from other teachers that know first hand how they treat the teachers, and if it would more than likely be a secure job since I am the sole bread winner supporting two children. Also, what are these nightmare scenarios I have heard mentioned in other threads?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-11-2007, 08:53 PM

5,528 posts, read 12,674,120 times
My husband is a teacher in the Cherry Creek District. He does know that Aurora is a close-in suburban district with a large minority population and comparatively low test scores. Colorado Student Assessment Program (CSAP) scores are very important for measuring a school's success and thus are a focus of some schools which are not doing well. Schools do vary, naturally, by location. A job there is likely to be secure because parts of the school district are on the expanding urban edge, so they are building new schools.

He doesn't hear bad things about the administration like he does the Denver Public Schools administration. We don't really hear much about the nightmare scenarios that you referred to in the schools, but some of the areas where the schools are located have problems because they have a high percentage of low income families.

I am surprised to hear that Aurora School District is paying that well. I would expect that of Cherry Creek.

Old 06-12-2007, 09:45 AM

346 posts, read 1,566,875 times
My uncle worked as a school psychologist for many years within the Aurora Public Schools. Now his grandkids are going to Aurora schools. He has not said anything negative about the district at all, although he has acknowledged the fact that the area has changed--mainly more hispanics coming in. The teachers, in his opinion are no less dedicated than anywhere else. They just have a tremendous challenge in meeting the needs of a diverse population. It's difficult to "teach to the test" when the students are coming in with very little English. I teach in California, but am hoping to someday move to Colorado. I do believe that the pay is better in Aurora because it may be considered a less desirable area in which to teach, and pay is the incentive to get new teachers there. That's definitely how it is in inner-city Los Angeles. Not too many people want to teach there (not that Aurora is anywhere close to inner-city L.A., though! I actually like most of what I've seen of Aurora)

Old 06-19-2007, 04:46 AM

4 posts, read 14,525 times
Aurora is a very nice place, I would never consider it an inner city! It's one of the more diverse places, the schools are really not that bad, depends on what part of Aurora. I went to an Aurora public school, went on a top university and I felt the school system did well to prepare me.

Old 06-19-2007, 06:28 AM

126 posts, read 620,957 times
The "Aurora horror stories" just aren't true, with the exception of a few fights breaking out (but there's been no Columbine). A lot of the situation is discomfort with the fact that there are so many minorities -- it's very diverse, esp. Central and Hinkley High Schools and surrounding areas. The teachers are all VERY dedicated and knowledgeable, and there's an IB program to boot at Hinkley and Overland (not sure if that's APS or CC). It's not someplace your traditional suburban parents would move to get their kids into position to be CEOs somewhere (which is just wrong anyway), but that's just a bias because there's not as much money floating around as at Cherry Creek, etc. -- many students succeed from APS. Many minority students succeed, many white students succeed. It's a great place to go to school, and I would think to teach as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
View detailed profiles of: