Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-12-2007, 03:13 PM

4,105 posts, read 8,287,058 times

Advertisements

Denver is one of the cities I am considering moving to from Austin some day in the future. However, I have not really been able to find out if there are any swimming holes around Denver. I am looking for a nice place to relax by a river or creek that has a deep spot to swim in. Does Denver have any of these types of places close by?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-14-2007, 09:16 AM

2,756 posts, read 12,972,842 times
Lots of people are in the water at Confluence Park near downtown Denver, mostly kids. I've always been a little nervous to get more than my feet wet there, however -- who knows what got dumped in the Platte or Cherry Creek upstream.

Old 06-16-2007, 08:05 PM

Location: I live in the highly over populated city of Denver where the illegals thrive.
24 posts, read 92,169 times
Red face It all depends

The city of Denver doesn't really have a real good place to relax for the simple fact that we are a city. However in the surrounding cities we do have some great reservoirs with streams that feed them. We also have the majestic rocky mountains which are about 10-20 minutes west of the city or you could head south into the southern part of the rockies. I don't give Colorado much credit because of our rude people, but we do have some of the most beautiful places on earth. It just depends on how much you are willing to work for it. We pretty much have any type of adventure you can hope for, aside from the safaris and cruises. I hope this helps in your decision of whether to move here or not.

Old 06-29-2007, 06:58 PM

1 posts, read 35,565 times
If you are looking for swimming holes, this is the wrong place to live! I continue searching, as I love swimming, but the water is SOOOO cold that it makes it near impossible to swim in any of the creeks/rivers/lakes. There are beautiful places where the weather is hot enough to be tempted, but even putting your feet in will change your mind! Very few man-made reservoirs say they have swimming areas, but you are not even allowed to bring your dog! And Denver was supposed to be one of the most pet friendly cities in the US...yeah right. In addition, the reservoirs, being the only swimmable water around, are PACKED with obnoxious people. I found your post while looking for new places to go...but it looks like it will be Wyoming or Nebraska, 'cause there's nowhere around here I'd like to hang out to swim.

Old 07-31-2007, 02:05 PM

21 posts, read 164,215 times
Default I miss swimming!

I grew up swimming in oceans and swimming holes (Massachusetts, Texas) and am pining away for a non-chlorinated dip. I live in Greeley, which has nothing, but I'd go up to an hour and a half for a good swim. Do any of the reservoirs have big enough beaches to swim in, or just to wade around? Horsetooth is pretty-- has anyone swum there? I hear Aurora Res and Cherry Creek have ok swimming. But are we talking funky-smelling, can't-see-your-feet water or something better?

I would love to find a real swimming hole. I'm even wondering if I could wade around the Poudre somewhere, like off one of the Fort Collins trails.

Thanks!

Old 07-31-2007, 05:17 PM

355 posts, read 1,403,898 times
in MA did u use to go to Stockbridge coary?i use to love cliff jumpin there

Old 07-31-2007, 09:04 PM

423 posts, read 1,959,092 times
Try Boyd Lake swim area in Loveland. It is not too far off of I25 and has the sandy beaches, unlike Horsetooth.

Old 07-31-2007, 09:11 PM
Sid

12 posts, read 127,458 times
Jackson State Park is real close to you, if there is water left in it.

Old 07-31-2007, 11:22 PM

168 posts, read 622,127 times
Default Poudre spot

Hi - I had a friend take me to a great swimming hole on the Poudre last summer. I'll get back to you with directions/location. It's between Greeley and Ft. Collins. It's on the river with medium, safe flow then feeds into a large, mellow swim hole. It's popular - I even met a family who hosted a birthday party there, but it's not that busy; just a very cool "locals" spot. More to follow. Sumisu.

Old 08-04-2007, 08:59 AM

6 posts, read 52,672 times
Default on the poudre! wow

Hi,
In Mass, we'd go to beaches up north, like near Ipswitch. That cold water felt great. Plus, my relatives live in New York and on the Chesapeake, so I learned to swim in Far Rockaway, on Long Island.
I hear Boyd Lake's scuzzy these days.
I even went swimming in Santa Cruz, CA one time- cold and fun.
Sumisu, you'd make my August if you got back to me on the Poudre swimming hole!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado