Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-20-2010, 01:22 PM

22 posts, read 67,950 times

Advertisements

Just curious to see what you guys like or dislike about both of these locations. I've noticed GJ rental prices are quite a bit higher than CS. CS offers lots of new, high end looking apts for a great price, whereas GJ offers either ok looking apts, or small rental houses (which i want) for a higher price.
What gives? I would think it would be the opposite...
All I really care about is which one would be better for a avid sportsman.
Hunting and fishing are first priorities. Which I'm thinking GJ would be better.
I could be wrong tho..
I plan on checking out both. Is CS kinda city like, or is it just a bigger version of GJ?? What's the major difference in the people that live there??
Any input is much appreciated. You guys have all been really helpful..
Quick reply to this message

Old 05-20-2010, 03:09 PM

51 posts, read 154,784 times
Well, I don't know Colorado Springs very well, but Grand Junction does have a ridiculously high cost of living. Colorado Springs always seemed similar to "big cities" in that your directions from A to B include off-ramps and on-ramps and exits and parkways and yadda yadda, while Grand Junction does have much more of a small-town feel--take a left at the next light, then drive four blocks, then turn right, etc.

Colorado Springs of course is also situated near Denver, which means you're just a hop, skip, and a jump from a big city and things "happening." Grand Junction doesn't have any big cities nearby, so whatever's going on here is it. Every once in awhile it means we get big-city venues cutting through and humoring us with a night on their schedule, but not often. We're pretty much limited to the B-level tours.

Tons of people hunt and fish on the western slope, and I'm not sure if the same is true on the front range. I do know that there are many, many places to go all over the western slope if those are your interests.

Old 05-20-2010, 04:21 PM

8,317 posts, read 29,463,282 times
The two cities are in the same state and have some mountains nearby--otherwise they are not very comparable. Colorado Springs has a plains/foothills climate, Grand Junction is out on the desert. Grand Junction's economy is centered on energy, retirement, and some government employment; Colorado Springs lives and dies on tourism, the military and some high-tech--much of that military-oriented. Colorado Springs is a fairly large metro area of around 400,000; Grand Junction is a small metro area of about 160,000. Because of all the military influence on the economy, Colorado Springs' economy tends to be more stable than Grand Junction's. Grand Junction has come to live and die on the energy industry, and that is slumping now. It is possible to find good hunting and fishing areas within a half-day's drive of both--but you won't have them to yourself in either place, unless you are willing to get off of the beaten track. Grand Junction is better than the Springs in that regard, but the gap is narrowing. Neither is a good place to be unless you have a job in hand before you move there. And, especially in Grand Junction, living costs are high compared to local incomes, though other areas of western Colorado are even worse in that regard.

If hunting and fishing are your priority, Wyoming and Montana offer better opportunities for that than most anywhere in Colorado--but finding a job is no easy feat there, either.

Old 05-20-2010, 06:50 PM

51 posts, read 154,784 times
Grand Junction's economy is much more diversified than it was twenty or thirty years ago. We learned our lesson from the bust in the 80s. It definitely isn't a "roughneck" town like some of the other cities on the western slope (Debeque, Somerset, Silt) who really just have a mine or rigs as your only source of work besides selling cigarettes and gas at the local corner store. The reliance on the oil and gas industry did have a lot to do with the massive spike in property costs within the last few years, but once those jobs slowed down and the housing bubble burst we haven't seen the plummeting values and mass exodus that occurred last time. We actually have a really well-rounded medical community for our size and there are tons of jobs in that sector as well as jobs related to the schools and colleges--we have a community college now, a few technical programs, and Mesa State itself has been expanding at breakneck pace. However, even though it isn't "roughneck," it isn't a wealthy or educated area by any stretch of the imagination, either.

Last edited by Umberlee; 05-20-2010 at 07:03 PM..

Old 05-21-2010, 01:57 PM

3,135 posts, read 11,885,624 times
Check out Woodland Park. Population 7,500 with everything you need, just 17 miles up the mountain from Colorado Springs. About everyone I know hunts and fishes in Teller county. Colorado Springs is a bit cheaper though, especially in housing and property taxes.

For fishing, Eleven Mile reservoir is decent (trout and pike), 25 mile drive from WP.
Colorado State Park

If you want a bigger lake of water, Pueblo Reservoir is a 75 mile drive from WP.
Colorado State Park

Old 05-23-2010, 12:03 PM

6,288 posts, read 11,774,262 times
Night and day difference between CO Springs and GJ. The reason rental prices are so high in GJ is because of the oil industry. Oilfield workers get paid a lot of money and local businesses and landowners take advantage of this.

As for outdoors sports, depends on what you're into. If you're into hunting, GJ is the better. You're in welcome company here if you're an elk hunter. There's a lot of places in near proximity, the Grand Mesa is the first one that comes to mind.

As for fishing, I don't know. I'm not particularly fond of fishing in the area. It's hit-and-miss. I was up at Crawford lake last Thursday with my boat. We did pretty good for crappies after we found them, but it took a while. Only fair for trout. Other nearby lakes are Rifle Gap, Ridgway, and Vega. They're all about an hour-and-a-half drive. In my opinion they're all pretty spotty and not consistent.

GJ can't be considered city-like. It's more of a big hick town. In this regard, CS is definitely more like a city. I would say the major difference in the people is that GJ is mostly oil workers, farm workers and people whose families go back a few generations on the Western slope. This means they've got the rural mentality. CS has more of a mix of people and more of a cosmopolitan feel (if it can be called that) due to the military presence which brings in people from all over.

As for liking it or disliking, it very much depends on your tastes. If you are a small town person who enjoys peace and tranquility and you don't mind living in the desert, then Grand Junction would be an excellent choice. You've got easy access to Moab, Arches, Grand Mesa, Monument, Montrose, Gunnison River. On the other hand, if you want more of a bigger city, then you wouldn't like GJ.

Old 05-23-2010, 01:25 PM

12,262 posts, read 24,452,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 80skeys View Post
Night and day difference between CO Springs and GJ. The reason rental prices are so high in GJ is because of the oil industry. Oilfield workers get paid a lot of money and local businesses and landowners take advantage of this.

As for outdoors sports, depends on what you're into. If you're into hunting, GJ is the better. You're in welcome company here if you're an elk hunter. There's a lot of places in near proximity, the Grand Mesa is the first one that comes to mind.

As for fishing, I don't know. I'm not particularly fond of fishing in the area. It's hit-and-miss. I was up at Crawford lake last Thursday with my boat. We did pretty good for crappies after we found them, but it took a while. Only fair for trout. Other nearby lakes are Rifle Gap, Ridgway, and Vega. They're all about an hour-and-a-half drive. In my opinion they're all pretty spotty and not consistent.

GJ can't be considered city-like. It's more of a big hick town. In this regard, CS is definitely more like a city. I would say the major difference in the people is that GJ is mostly oil workers, farm workers and people whose families go back a few generations on the Western slope. This means they've got the rural mentality. CS has more of a mix of people and more of a cosmopolitan feel (if it can be called that) due to the military presence which brings in people from all over.

As for liking it or disliking, it very much depends on your tastes. If you are a small town person who enjoys peace and tranquility and you don't mind living in the desert, then Grand Junction would be an excellent choice. You've got easy access to Moab, Arches, Grand Mesa, Monument, Montrose, Gunnison River. On the other hand, if you want more of a bigger city, then you wouldn't like GJ.
Interesting.

Would you say Grand Junction is about as cosmopolitan as a typical city of 150,000 or more like a smaller town that happens to be about 150,000 people?

Old 05-23-2010, 02:22 PM

Hmmm...Big Hick Town or, "Cosmopolitan" (eeeeww..I always think of that annoying sex & the city garbage every time I hear that word...)
I love Hicks! We git along just fine..
GJ really does sound appealing. I just wish renting there wasn't almost twice as much as CS. I know I could find a job CS.....not so confidant about finding one in GJ. Although....I do know a Cabelas just opened up there. I would be just fine with a job like that..
As for the hunting. It does look like either west or east of CS there would be some good hunting. Maybe some game birds?? prairie dog??? ..barn rat?? Of course...i could be wrong. A big plus being Woodland Park is only 17 miles away.
GJ just looks like you can hunt a lot, very nearby.

80skeys- I want to take an Elk more than anything. What a spectacular animal! I watch elk hunts on Sportsmans Channel all the time.
I bet they taste really good...
I've done virtual tours of both online. CS has a few tall buildings...nothing that scares me though. They both look like great places to live. I'll be going to GJ first before CS. I still don't really know where I'll end up. I could get really lucky and find a job in GJ along with a reasonable rental ( i could live a one bedroom trailer for all I care...) OR..Colorado Springs, here I come..
Thanks a ton for all the great input. I really appreciate all of you going out of your way to make things easier for me...

Old 05-23-2010, 03:18 PM

Here's the deal, plain and simple. I would like to find work at either a gun shop, range, outfitters, or anything like that, but not limited to. I really don't care about having a lot of money. I just want to be happy at work, hunt when I can, and go to a fun pub/tavern whenever I feel thirsty. NO frills, just good people.

I have to leave los angeles before it collapses unto itself... I can't describe how bad it is here. Well...i can but I'll have to use words that may "offend". Use your imagination...then pour on a truckload of manure, along with a heaping pile of "corrupt", and you'll kind of have an idea..

And let me get this out before anybody jumps to any conclusions and you want to chase me away..
I'M NOT FROM CALIFORNIA (repeat this aloud...it actually feels good!)

Old 05-23-2010, 04:15 PM

6,288 posts, read 11,774,262 times
HunterRiderJohnny: come to Grand Junction and one of the first things you notice is the number of 4x4 trucks. Take a count in any parking lot and it's about 50%! Anyway, every autumn, people come to Grand Junction from neighboring states, even California, to hunt for elk. There's a lot of areas around here for hunting. Yes, elk do taste good (much better than deer or antelope in my opinion.) Speaking of housing, there are some decent one bedroom apartments for $600 at the Crossroads Park Apartments. These apartments are kinda old, but they're quiet and my friends who live there like them. Details below. Regarding work, it's kinda sparse around here. Yeah, Cabela's just opened up but I think they filled those slots a couple months ago! Of course, there's probably a bunch of turnaround in a job like that especially among the young people so it might be worth a shot.

Joseppie, Grand Junction is not cosmopolitan at all.

Crossroads Park Apts
maps.google.com
2763 Compass Drive
Grand Junction, CO 81506-3904
(970) 241-6730
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado