Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Columbia area
 [Register]
Columbia area Columbia - Lexington - Irmo
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-25-2010, 01:53 PM

8,252 posts, read 13,387,916 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akhenaton06 View Post
In this case, Greenville was indeed brought up by a Columbia poster for purposes of comparison, but I'm sure you know that tends to be the exception rather than the norm for whenever Greenville comes up in Columbia threads so you can't act like it doesn't happen. And most of the insecurity seems to come from the one or two Greenville posters that typically have engaged in hijacking Columbia threads. It's not about it being "threatening," but more or less tiring. But like I said, this particular thread is an exception.

At any rate, back to the discussion at hand. With all the donut hole annexations underway, I wonder how much square mileage that will add to the city minus the Fort. As of right now, it stands at about 50 square miles with a lot of that being tax-exempt property.
I think Columbia is now forcing those inside the doughnut holes into the City. There was an article some time ago that they threatened to cut off water to those who refused to annex within a certain amount of time. Though effective..it seems like it would be illegal. However; I cant necessary blame the City for resulting to such measures since the General Assembly would NEVER pass a law that would allow cities to take in doughnut holes that are under a certain size with or without the property owners consent. I think we have had this discussion before. Richland County has to send a garbage truck into the heart of Columbia to pick up trash at a half dozen residents' homes.. Thats a waste of resources. On the other hand some doughnut holes are created and perpetuated by the City. Last time I checked the low income housing on both sides of the James Clyburn Pedestrian overpass were not in the City Limits though they petitioned to be annexed when they were built. Apparently the city denied the request then because they were against the concentrating of low income housing in an area that apparently was already saturated with it. The development moved ahead under the County's zoning and the city moved to deny them water. I am not sure what happened after that. I do know that they had to build their own water tower and I guess that they have to maintain the water and sewer infrastructure.. though they may be purchasing water from the City's system.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-25-2010, 04:34 PM

12,939 posts, read 18,794,610 times
Was Greenville first brought up by a Columbia poster or a Midlands poster? Where is Sumter-Columbia? And who in this thread said having smaller city limits "absolutely does have advantages?" I assumed the first mention of Greenville was from a Greenville poster because I'm so used to it. Sorry for jumping the gun. It didn't take long, though, for favorable comments about Greenville to appear that insinuated a disadvantage for Columbia for having more square miles in its city limits. (Fort Jackson is a huge, huge portion of that and has very few residents compared to the rest of the population.) I'm not insecure about the Greenville comments in all the Columbia threads that contain anything good or bad about Columbia, but it just has gotten so annoying.

Old 06-26-2010, 01:04 AM

2,309 posts, read 3,854,762 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Columbiadata View Post
Anyway, this article from cnnmoney.com says the Brookings Institute singled out 21 metros for their ability to keep their labor and housing markets stable and for posting robust economic activity for the past few years despite the Great Recession. Maybe that fact that Columbia is on the list is related to the metro's towns' and city's population increases. We already new that Columbia was on this Brookings list, but I figured it woudn't hurt to post CNN's take on it.

America's most recession-proof cities - Jun. 24, 2010

any list of recession proof cities that includes buffalo and rochester, ny is fraudulent. haha. i've met people from various mid west and upper mid atlantic states all over south carolina but i don't think i've met more people from one particular region than the western new york state region. i coach high school swimming in the upstate and was at a coaches meeting recently and i kid you not of the 10 people at the meeting 4 were from either buffalo or the syracuse area. people must be running away from those jobs up there.

Old 06-26-2010, 01:33 AM

CSA's according to US Census 2009 est.

Greenville - Spartanburg - Anderson CSA - 1,264,930 (2009 est. according to US census) - CSA has grown 12.13% since 2000 to 2009.

Columbia - Newberry CSA - 783,493 (2009 est. according to US census) - CSA has grown 14.67% since 2000 to 2009.

i did the math up through the year 2029 and yea it's be a LONG TIME until the Columbia area ever catches up to the GSP CSA.

Old 06-26-2010, 01:39 AM

Just in case anyone is wondering the Greenville - Spartanburg - Anderson CSA is composed of the following:

Greenville / Mauldin / Easley Metro SA
Spartanburg Metro SA
Anderson Metro SA
Seneca Micro SA
Gaffney Micro SA
Union Micro SA

Columbia - Newberry CSA is made up of:

Columbia Metro SA (includes counties of Richland, Calhoun, Fairfield, Kershaw, Lexington, and Saluda)
Newberry Micro SA

Old 06-26-2010, 11:04 AM

8,180 posts, read 14,883,920 times
This thread isn't about CSAs, it's about municipalities. Stay on subject.

Old 06-27-2010, 02:45 PM

7,993 posts, read 12,872,891 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greenvillebuckeye View Post
CSA's according to US Census 2009 est.

Greenville - Spartanburg - Anderson CSA - 1,264,930 (2009 est. according to US census) - CSA has grown 12.13% since 2000 to 2009.

Columbia - Newberry CSA - 783,493 (2009 est. according to US census) - CSA has grown 14.67% since 2000 to 2009.

i did the math up through the year 2029 and yea it's be a LONG TIME until the Columbia area ever catches up to the GSP CSA.
Good info. Thanks.

Old 06-27-2010, 04:33 PM

11,706 posts, read 24,816,884 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Akhenaton06 View Post
This thread isn't about CSAs, it's about municipalities. Stay on subject.
So just because this thread is about municipalities means people can't post about CSA's? I thought municipalities were part of CSA's.

Old 06-27-2010, 04:43 PM

5,595 posts, read 15,393,841 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by g-man430 View Post
So just because this thread is about municipalities means people can't post about CSA's? I thought municipalities were part of CSA's.
And CSAs are part of states, states are part of countries, countries are part of continents, etc... You need to draw a line somewhere.

Old 06-27-2010, 04:55 PM

11,706 posts, read 24,816,884 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyliner View Post
And CSAs are part of states, states are part of countries, countries are part of continents, etc... You need to draw a line somewhere.
Yeah, but at CSA's?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Columbia area