Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Columbia area
 [Register]
Columbia area Columbia - Lexington - Irmo
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-24-2010, 03:14 PM

1,289 posts, read 2,583,626 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodlands View Post
Why is it difficult for Greenville to annex? I suspect that it has to with politics and taxes. Columbia includes Ft. Jackson which accounts for good portion city limits in terms of sq. mi. Columbia like many SC cities has had a difficult time annexing but it still happens (arm twisting not withstanding). I thought that Greenville was just content with its current sq. mi. (which does have some advantages)
It absolutely does have advantages... The City of Greenville has a very small area in which to spend its budget, which is enhanced by having the tax revenues of the Upstate region's premier shopping and dining destinations.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-24-2010, 03:27 PM

12,990 posts, read 18,855,327 times
Notice how this Midlands towns and Columbia forum has become all about Greenville. Like clock work.

Old 06-24-2010, 03:39 PM

11,714 posts, read 24,867,056 times
This thread is useless without a gsupstate posting. Speaking of gsupstate, what happened to him? Columbiadata, did you take him hostage or something?

Old 06-24-2010, 03:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Columbiadata View Post
Notice how this Midlands towns and Columbia forum has become all about Greenville. Like clock work.
It's all Ceezer's fault.

Old 06-24-2010, 09:54 PM

6,830 posts, read 16,600,419 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Columbiadata View Post
That always happens on here. I almost never even read the greenville forum, but some of them are over here all the time twisting every thread into one about them.

Old 06-25-2010, 04:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by waccamatt View Post
That always happens on here. I almost never even read the greenville forum, but some of them are over here all the time twisting every thread into one about them.
Can you please show me on the forum rules where it says I can't post on the Columbia sub-forum. I must of missed it.

Old 06-25-2010, 05:04 AM

To me it just takes nerve. I wouldn't even think about going into a Greenville thread to put my spin on a topic in an attempt to down Greenville and boost Columbia. I get anxious enough arguing with Greenville boosters in defense of Columbia in Columbia threads. I sure don't need to create more anxiety by going into Greenville threads to bash Greenville. I guess it takes all kinds to make a message board go 'round.

Old 06-25-2010, 05:11 AM

Anyway, this article from cnnmoney.com says the Brookings Institute singled out 21 metros for their ability to keep their labor and housing markets stable and for posting robust economic activity for the past few years despite the Great Recession. Maybe that fact that Columbia is on the list is related to the metro's towns' and city's population increases. We already new that Columbia was on this Brookings list, but I figured it woudn't hurt to post CNN's take on it.

America's most recession-proof cities - Jun. 24, 2010

Old 06-25-2010, 07:56 AM

1,289 posts, read 2,583,626 times
Columbia forumers are the ones who brought Greenville into the discussion. No one has posted any information about Greenville with the intent or any indication of bashing Columbia. I'm not sure why any comment about another city is perceived as a 'threat' to you guys. Stop being so insecure and conduct an honest discussion.

Old 06-25-2010, 08:26 AM

8,180 posts, read 14,904,479 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gvillesc View Post
Columbia forumers are the ones who brought Greenville into the discussion. No one has posted any information about Greenville with the intent or any indication of bashing Columbia. I'm not sure why any comment about another city is perceived as a 'threat' to you guys. Stop being so insecure and conduct an honest discussion.
In this case, Greenville was indeed brought up by a Columbia poster for purposes of comparison, but I'm sure you know that tends to be the exception rather than the norm for whenever Greenville comes up in Columbia threads so you can't act like it doesn't happen. And most of the insecurity seems to come from the one or two Greenville posters that typically have engaged in hijacking Columbia threads. It's not about it being "threatening," but more or less tiring. But like I said, this particular thread is an exception.

At any rate, back to the discussion at hand. With all the donut hole annexations underway, I wonder how much square mileage that will add to the city minus the Fort. As of right now, it stands at about 50 square miles with a lot of that being tax-exempt property.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Columbia area