Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Columbia area
 [Register]
Columbia area Columbia - Lexington - Irmo
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-24-2011, 07:57 PM

6 posts, read 24,540 times

Advertisements

I am thinking about placing my children especially my 2nd grader in private school. Anyone have any experience with this? I am a single mother and would like more information on the requirements for financial aid assistance. Thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-25-2011, 06:25 AM

1,066 posts, read 2,270,054 times
I imagine that financial aid varies greatly by school. I would suggest that you call a few private schools and inquire about any programs they have available.

If your concern is the quality of your child's education or their physical safety in their present situation I would suggest you also look into better public schools. A slight change of address can make a world of difference.

Old 01-25-2011, 06:43 AM

843 posts, read 2,750,979 times
Where?

I very seriously considered putting my daughter in private school (Sumter area, but I'm sure this is applicable nation-wide) 5 years ago when she was starting, but now I'm glad we didn't. From what I've seen - and I've had quite a bit exposure, as it seems 90% of the girls in the activities my daughter participates in are made up of TSA/Wilson Hall students - my daughter is no worse off for having attended public (District 02) schools. In fact, if anything, she may have a slight edge over them. My daughter is probably equally matched, intellectually, with private school girls 2 and 3 grades ahead of her.

I've come to the conclusion that private schools are nothing more than a social status for the parents. A bumper sticker for their car. Just because you (not *you*, I'm speaking indirectly here) can afford to send your child there doesn't necessarilly make them smart. Well-off people can have dumb kids, so the class is either going to a) slow down to the pace of the "weakest link" or, b) keep at it's excelled pace to meet the curriculum and appeal to the wallets of the parents, leaving the kids behind and neglected.

But then, I believe that educating your child is a full-time job; an obligation that the schools (private or public) can't shoulder alone. We need to constantly challenge our children, and that requires work outside of the classroom.

I believe this is what separates public schools from private. It's not the quality of the education provided, it's the quality of the parenting. Now I don't mean to isolate or target the parents of public school kids - I just stated I'm one myself, and I'm a wonderful father - but when you have cases of families that are lazy, indifferent towards or spiteful of their children, etc, odds are these are going to be families that send their kids to public school. Because the kids have parents/guardians that don't care enough to put in the time and effort to ensure their children are learning and bettering themselves, the kids develop an attitude that an education isn't important, and they themselves aren't putting in the time and effort to learn and process the information being provided to them. So when it comes to testing, the retention isn't there.

I have a niece that attends private school. She's a straight-A student but admits that she has a hard time keeping up because they move through material so fast to adhere to schedule. It doesn't matter if the kids "got it", or not, so long as they hit the points that they'll be tested on. So they're not being taught, they're being prepped...

Old 01-25-2011, 05:18 PM

50 posts, read 96,525 times
This is not answering your question, but a new private school is opening in Lexington/West Columbia. It will open next year at the new Northside Baptist. Grade K-9 will be offered at the beginning of next school year. A grade is planned on being added every year. It will be called Northside Christian Academy.

Old 01-28-2011, 09:26 PM

36 posts, read 125,419 times
The parochial schools offer financial assistance. The Elementary schools in Columbia are St John Neumann, St Joseph & St Peter. They all have a very good reputation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Columbia area