Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Columbia area
 [Register]
Columbia area Columbia - Lexington - Irmo
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-24-2012, 01:41 PM

1,077 posts, read 1,651,586 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Columbiadata View Post
I lived in the Wade Hampton and never thought about anyone wishing we weren't there. I would prefer that student housing not infiltrate downtown, though.
I'd prefer for Assembly street to urbanize and receive a lot more student housing to drive traffic to the Vista, Main Street and Five Points. Maybe a student development near the corner of Gervais and Harden would do well (if they had some height). The developments far off on Bluff Road are nice but aren't really as urban as I would like or expect for Columbia's future vision.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-24-2012, 02:17 PM

12,927 posts, read 18,774,800 times
The 'request for a change in zoning' signs for private dorms are back on the Palmetto Center building. I was thinking about how the college student population infiltrates everything in DC, and I think it would be okay actually. I've decided I have no problem with it.

Old 04-24-2012, 07:49 PM

34 posts, read 31,280 times
We have some friends who have a building located right next to a condo which is rented by USC students and it has been nothing but a nightmare for these folks for the last 20 years. Weekend nights usually mean beer bottles being thrown in the parking lot or on the building and at least one act of vandalism a week. The building management can only do so much. Most of the condos are mostly owned by folks who live out of state or even out of the country. There are around 30 rentals, the students usually are only there for a year or two at most. Graduation is the worst as the students leaving have large parties and dump sofas, old TVs and bags full of crap onto the parking areas and on the rooftop (condos are multistory and the business affected is single story). These are the type of things that go on near places that house students. Young "adults" + alcohol = problems. Like most things in life, it's all part of growing up, unless you happen to own a business or live near one of these type of areas.

Old 04-24-2012, 07:59 PM

I think the Downtown Clean Team and City Center Partnership will keep them straight. And the property management will probably be on top of things.

Old 04-25-2012, 07:43 AM

8,249 posts, read 13,371,930 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Columbiadata View Post
I think the Downtown Clean Team and City Center Partnership will keep them straight. And the property management will probably be on top of things.

It will be interesting to see who comes out for and against this during the public hearings.. I am curious on where the downtown partnership folks will be on this since if it is managed correctly.. it could be a boost for main street. The management for Marriott Hotel.. will certainly be in the room I am sure.....

Old 04-25-2012, 08:09 AM

The City Center Partnership CEO made a statement in support of it. He said it's not the first thing you'd think of when trying to get the building occupied, but he viewed it as a positive development.

Old 05-01-2012, 04:59 PM

Here's a rundown of some stuff going on in the CBD this month.

What's Happening Downtown in May

Old 05-01-2012, 05:27 PM

3,200 posts, read 4,614,108 times
I am not sure where to post this but, SCDOT is holding a meeting next week about improvements to Assembly between Pendleton and Blossom. Are there any photos of what might happen? They will also be talking about Greene St.

Old 05-15-2012, 04:03 PM

157 posts, read 249,121 times
Default The Palmetto Center dorms could be OK'd as early as TONIGHT

Columbia City Council could give the go-ahead as early as tonight to allow private dorms for college students in the 21-story Palmetto Center along Main Street.

The main issue before the seven-member council will be to allow greater densities of people than are currently permitted for office space. The meeting begins at 6 p.m. at City Hall at 1737 Main St.

Council may OK Main Street dorms - Local / Metro - TheState.com

Old 05-15-2012, 04:59 PM

37,891 posts, read 41,990,657 times
I think they should at least try to market the building to Aflac first.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Columbia area