Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Columbia area
 [Register]
Columbia area Columbia - Lexington - Irmo
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-19-2011, 09:00 PM

11 posts, read 15,833 times

Advertisements

My husband has been given the option to relocate to the Columbia area for a sales position. What are the best family communities in the surrounding areas? We have two small boys (1 and 3 yrs old). We originally are from Charlotte and enjoy the city- but now that we have kids, we'd rather live in the suburbs. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-20-2011, 05:51 AM

12,947 posts, read 18,805,608 times
I hate to see kids 1 and 3 with no choice but to live in the suburbs just because they're 1 and 3. I'd opt for an in-town neighborhood zoned for Dreher High School or A.C. Flora High School if you would like for your children to have the opportunity to enjoy the city as you and your husband have.

If the suburbs are the only way, pick Richland 2 where it's zoned for Spring Valley High School, Lexington-Richland 5 where it's zoned for Dutch Fork High School or Chapin High School, or Lexington 1 where it's zoned for Lexington High School.

Old 03-21-2011, 10:10 AM

191 posts, read 503,655 times
I wouldn't send my kids to any of the Cola schools. Then again, suburbia is, well, suburbia...

Old 03-28-2011, 07:02 AM

11 posts, read 31,290 times
Don't worry about high schools when your kids and 1 and 3. Pick a neighborhood with good elementary schools and lots of playmates for the kids AND parents!!
Kids like yards, pets, and friends!! The suburbs are full of young families with professional parents.

Old 03-28-2011, 05:58 PM

1,891 posts, read 3,456,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Columbiadata View Post
I hate to see kids 1 and 3 with no choice but to live in the suburbs just because they're 1 and 3. I'd opt for an in-town neighborhood zoned for Dreher High School or A.C. Flora High School if you would like for your children to have the opportunity to enjoy the city as you and your husband have.

If the suburbs are the only way, pick Richland 2 where it's zoned for Spring Valley High School, Lexington-Richland 5 where it's zoned for Dutch Fork High School or Chapin High School, or Lexington 1 where it's zoned for Lexington High School.
x2

Hand Middle is supposed to be pretty nice, too. The general area around the school is nice, too.

Not sure which elementary schools feed Hand. I think there are two on Rosewood.

i have to agree with some of the comments, here. Outside of a few, limited, affordable areas, the suburbs of Columbia leave much to be desired.

Old 03-28-2011, 07:40 PM

899 posts, read 2,290,395 times
Wow, I disagree with some of the other opinions, but to each his own. Sounds like the OP wants information on the suburban areas around Columbia.

jennifer: the suburban areas in the Columbia metro are very family-friendly! I can't really recommend specific subdivisions off-hand (and not sure your price point - but there are neighborhoods/subdivisions for all price ranges), but some areas I'd recommend you check out are Irmo - including the Harbison and Kennerly Rd. areas; the Dutch Fork area; town of Chapin; town of Lexington - including around Hwy. 378 and SC-6/Lake Murray area (leading towards Irmo); Northeast Columbia area including around Polo Rd. and Hardscrabble Rd. / Village of Sandhills area.

I think Lexington 1 and Lexington-Richland 5 are usually regarded as great public school districts as mentioned above. I believe some of the schools in NE Columbia are also ranked highly.

Last edited by innovator82; 03-28-2011 at 08:02 PM..

Old 03-29-2011, 05:52 AM

12,947 posts, read 18,805,608 times
The standards by which SC ranks its schools from worst to best are among the highest, if not the highest, in the nation. By those standards the high schools that were rated excellent the other day in the Columbia area are: Dreher in Richland One; Spring Valley and Ridge View in Richland 2; Lexington in Lexington 1; and Irmo, Dutch Fork and Chapin in Lexington-Richland 5. The elementary and middle schools that feed those high schools should be on par excellence-wise, but I don't remember any specific elementary or middle school rankings.

Old 03-30-2011, 09:05 AM

2 posts, read 5,000 times
I am also relocating (in 2 weeks) and maybe you can benefit from my recent experiences as a mom and newcomer to the area all the research I did! I have settled on the NE side of town. I managed to get into the Spring Valley High School zone/North Springs Elementary. I have lived in Atlanta and found the NE side around this area to be comfortable for me. Not as big as ATL, but "city like" with a variety of shopping and housing. Go onto greatschools and look up Lexington and Columbia schools and get the rating for the elementary schools, which are most important for you. You can have great high schoools, but sometimes the elementary feeder schools vary wildly in quality. Read the websites of each school and be sure to read the info on the schools in depth on greatschools. Lexington 1 has excellent schools -Midway and Lake Murray were two that stood out to me in Lex 1 in my investigations of that area, but they also have some poorly ranked ones such as Saxe Gotha and Red Bank. Lexington 5 also has some good schools-Nursery Hill Elementary in Irmo impressed me. I liked Irmo, really nice and again, more of a suburban city feel to it. I didn't like the Lexington 1 area as much as the Richland 2 and Lexington 5 areas, but that is personal preference I suppose. Its really important to drive around a lot and look.

Old 03-30-2011, 11:59 AM

4 posts, read 5,337 times
We might be relocating to Columbia as well. I've been doing some research, and am looking at Lex1 and Lex5 schools. We want to be near Lake Murray and near golf, and near shopping, so that's why we've focused on those two. A lot is what you desire in a neighborhood. We want the burbs, after 4 years in DC I am sick of big city and want a safe place for my children to play and run around outside. But that's just me...

Old 03-30-2011, 12:45 PM

1,066 posts, read 2,268,108 times
I took my child out of private school and moved our household so she could be a part of Midway and we could have an improved lifestyle that is available on that side of town. One of the best things I have ever done.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Columbia area