Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Columbia area
 [Register]
Columbia area Columbia - Lexington - Irmo
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-19-2019, 10:34 AM

757 posts, read 569,971 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrandonCoombes View Post
I’ve got a bad feeling about this. These text are extremely political. IMO, that alone is what will raise the red flag. Board members are suppose to be unbiased, but likely because of the governor, politics played a GREATER part (because let’s be honest, even without him, it still would have been political) in the decision than if he weren’t involved.

https://www.thestate.com/news/local/...235181197.html
Like half the board should resign based purely on the optics of these texts.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-19-2019, 03:17 PM

1,101 posts, read 1,339,442 times
Also board too big so only replace half who resign with half as many

Old 09-19-2019, 04:42 PM

6,830 posts, read 16,574,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carolinagarnet View Post
Like half the board should resign based purely on the optics of these texts.
I agree

Old 09-20-2019, 03:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingofCola View Post
Also board too big so only replace half who resign with half as many
Sadly I that's going to rely on the bill currently being considered by the legislature and I imagine it would take effect in several years as an abrupt change to the composition of the board wouldn't make much sense, even if it's clearly needed.

Also there's no way some of these bubbas resign. It's clear in their communications that they're beyond the pale of normal sensibility.

Old 09-20-2019, 09:15 AM

14,254 posts, read 14,766,189 times
I understand an appointment to the Board is a lifetime appointment. Am I wrong?

Old 09-20-2019, 12:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by johngolf View Post
I understand an appointment to the Board is a lifetime appointment. Am I wrong?
No, they have elections every 6 years I believe. That said, it's basically a lifetime appointment as the legislature doesn't seem to judge performance when considering whether to renew their appointment.

Old 12-02-2019, 01:15 PM

1,555 posts, read 1,848,875 times
A more in depth look into the Campus Village development.

https://columbiasc.gov/depts/plannin...R%20Packet.pdf

Old 12-02-2019, 01:46 PM

8,252 posts, read 13,382,547 times
Speaking of USC.... I wonder if the state of SC will eventually sell the State Fairgrounds? If I were a developer I would push for it to be publicly sold, acquire it and build a combination of retail, bar/restaurant and housing on the site... With the push to close bars in Five Points in full swing.. .Some may opt to relocate over to this new complex where visitors/guest can be carded. If under 18 can get in but must have a wrist band and be 21 to drink. Places like the Power and Light District in Kansas City, Power Plant Live in Baltimore (both done by the same developer) are examples of controlled entertainment districts.. They can incorporate a stage hold concerts and be the ultimate game day experience in the SEC not to mention during non SEC functions...It wont compete with the Vista or BullStreet since it would be catering to younger adults.. be much safer than Five Points, plenty of parking, Uber, Transit etc to transport students to/from campus.. and atleast some collective effort to control under age drinking.. Five Points will become an extension of Shandon and Rosewood elite and can enjoy nice quite boutiques and restaurants as opposed to bars.. win win for everyone..

https://www.powerandlightdistrict.com/

https://powerplantlive.com/

As far as a new location of the State Fairgrounds.. the State can put it on property it already owns in between North Main, Farrow Road, Pisgah Church Rd and Beckmam Rds....Perfect access to I-20 and I-77. If the entrance is off of North Main.. its already an underutilized four lane road with connection to I-20 and could help revitalize the commercial district in that stretch north of I-20

https://www.google.com/maps/place/Columbia,+SC/@34.0894289,-80.9886649,2277m/data=!3m1!1e3!4m5!3m4!1s0x88f8a5697931d1e3:0xf3280 8f4b379fa96!8m2!3d34.0007104!4d-81.0348144

Old 12-02-2019, 02:51 PM

160 posts, read 141,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodlands View Post
Speaking of USC.... I wonder if the state of SC will eventually sell the State Fairgrounds? If I were a developer I would push for it to be publicly sold, acquire it and build a combination of retail, bar/restaurant and housing on the site... With the push to close bars in Five Points in full swing.. .Some may opt to relocate over to this new complex where visitors/guest can be carded. If under 18 can get in but must have a wrist band and be 21 to drink. Places like the Power and Light District in Kansas City, Power Plant Live in Baltimore (both done by the same developer) are examples of controlled entertainment districts.. They can incorporate a stage hold concerts and be the ultimate game day experience in the SEC not to mention during non SEC functions...It wont compete with the Vista or BullStreet since it would be catering to younger adults.. be much safer than Five Points, plenty of parking, Uber, Transit etc to transport students to/from campus.. and atleast some collective effort to control under age drinking.. Five Points will become an extension of Shandon and Rosewood elite and can enjoy nice quite boutiques and restaurants as opposed to bars.. win win for everyone..

As far as a new location of the State Fairgrounds.. the State can put it on property it already owns in between North Main, Farrow Road, Pisgah Church Rd and Beckmam Rds....Perfect access to I-20 and I-77. If the entrance is off of North Main.. its already an underutilized four lane road with connection to I-20 and could help revitalize the commercial district in that stretch north of I-20

https://www.google.com/maps/place/Columbia,+SC/@34.0894289,-80.9886649,2277m/data=!3m1!1e3!4m5!3m4!1s0x88f8a5697931d1e3:0xf3280 8f4b379fa96!8m2!3d34.0007104!4d-81.0348144
Actually, as I understand it, the State Fair organization and its property are a nonprofit, unaffiliated withe the State of South Carolina government.

Old 12-02-2019, 02:53 PM

2,133 posts, read 2,277,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodlands View Post

I like your idea. While it's practical and convenient to have the fairgrounds there for game parking (I'm not crazy about the fair at all; they could move it to Clemson for all I care since it'd seem to be a better fit as a past time), I think it'd be neat if they left the grassy, landscaped area directly across the street from the stadium for parking and built up the area beyond that (the paved part) for anything privately owned.

I like the fact that our stadium is "in" or at least close to the city. I think adding an additional urban vibe with restaurants and the such right next to the stadium would be cool and make it feel closely tied with the label of USC being a university in a medium sized city. Maybe model it similar to the Pearl in San Antonio, but obviously not as large. The Pearl kind of has a rustic industrial vibe (historically site of railroads) but is also higher end as well.

If there was a plan to build up the farmers market in such a way, I wouldn't want anything built that would obscure the skyline from inside of the stadium. But then again, I think they'd have to build something pretty tall for that to happen.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Columbia area