Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Columbia area
 [Register]
Columbia area Columbia - Lexington - Irmo
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-20-2013, 05:18 PM

6,830 posts, read 16,566,649 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by scguy89 View Post
Yes, unfortunately it is an issue that continuously surfaces all over. As more and more people elect to go to higher education, a bigger swath of the population will graduate from college which will increase the amount of people that have a degree yet no sense of professionalism. Hopefully all colleges will try to focus and combat this issue, as others have said, with smaller classes, more group work and perhaps more required ethics classes (which are useless for some people as most of the knowledge is common sense, but a lot of people would benefit from). Definitely not just a USC or even South Carolina problem.

Back on topic: does anyone have a rendering of the two plazas around the stadium or are they not released yet?
This is the rendering for the plaza immediately surrounding the stadium that will replace the parking.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-20-2013, 06:16 PM

1,077 posts, read 1,650,735 times
Thanks for the images. I went to Clemson so I really appreciate USC stepping it up and making the area around the stadium more attractive. Hopefully it will encourage additional private development (maybe midrise-high rise development?). Mainly along Rosewood and up Assembly to the North.

Old 05-20-2013, 08:13 PM

Theres only so much the University can do since they don't own all of the area around the stadium. Luckily, demand for nice parking facilities and condos has helped with the surrounding area. Moving the State Farmer's Market was the main thing and that area is beautiful now. I have some pics I'll post of that below.

Old 05-20-2013, 08:20 PM

Old 05-20-2013, 08:29 PM

1,077 posts, read 1,650,735 times
Wow. That looks great! I think that this investment will help draw in private development. It really looks great. Maybe the city could start a TIF district for this area or something. I always envisioned Bluff Road becoming a Boulevard type street (in the near future - perhaps 20-30 years out) as development encourages the streets to be completed.

Old 05-20-2013, 11:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scguy89 View Post
Wow. That looks great! I think that this investment will help draw in private development. It really looks great. Maybe the city could start a TIF district for this area or something. I always envisioned Bluff Road becoming a Boulevard type street (in the near future - perhaps 20-30 years out) as development encourages the streets to be completed.
Most of the area around the stadium is outside the city limits, but the county could certainly do that.

Old 05-21-2013, 04:50 AM

12,924 posts, read 18,765,744 times
A star academic high school student from Batesburg-Leesville who is featured in The State this morning said she is going to USC because she can get her pharmacy degree in one location here and that she visited the campus and she thinks it's beautiful. Soon she'll be able to think that even when she goes to see her Gamecocks play football.

Old 05-21-2013, 04:51 AM

12,924 posts, read 18,765,744 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by waccamatt View Post
This is the rendering for the plaza immediately surrounding the stadium that will replace the parking.
And just last week they announced they're going to do the same thing to the old ETV Radio station site just down the street.

Old 05-21-2013, 07:14 AM

2,133 posts, read 2,274,629 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by waccamatt View Post
Theres only so much the University can do since they don't own all of the area around the stadium. Luckily, demand for nice parking facilities and condos has helped with the surrounding area. Moving the State Farmer's Market was the main thing and that area is beautiful now. I have some pics I'll post of that below.
That Farmers Market was SUCH an eyesore. We (Carolina fans) make fun of Clemson for being an agricultural school yet we had a dingy Farmers Market right across from our stadium. SO glad its gone and we replaced it with what we did, so beautiful now and really makes me proud. I also liked the fact they left some of the mature trees in the area; great shade for tailgating and mimics the horseshoe in a way, especially with all the brick incorporated.

I thought the stadium and everything around it was in fact in the city of Columbia?

There's obviously some condos around the stadium now and that small housing/townhome development off Rosewood on top of that hill, but it would be really nice to see more of the area around Williams-Brice to get some mid-sized development. Columbia would be well rounded if the south area of Columbia could spruce up a little more... Well, there's North Main of course too, but thats a different story.

Old 05-21-2013, 05:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by smithgn View Post
That Farmers Market was SUCH an eyesore. We (Carolina fans) make fun of Clemson for being an agricultural school yet we had a dingy Farmers Market right across from our stadium. SO glad its gone and we replaced it with what we did, so beautiful now and really makes me proud. I also liked the fact they left some of the mature trees in the area; great shade for tailgating and mimics the horseshoe in a way, especially with all the brick incorporated.

I thought the stadium and everything around it was in fact in the city of Columbia?

There's obviously some condos around the stadium now and that small housing/townhome development off Rosewood on top of that hill, but it would be really nice to see more of the area around Williams-Brice to get some mid-sized development. Columbia would be well rounded if the south area of Columbia could spruce up a little more... Well, there's North Main of course too, but thats a different story.
I took a screen shot of part of a city map showing the area around the stadium. The shaded part inside the blue line is inside the city limits. Due to South Carolina's antiquated annexation laws, it is hard for cities to annex.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Columbia area