Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Columbia area
 [Register]
Columbia area Columbia - Lexington - Irmo
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-22-2011, 06:21 AM

23 posts, read 27,845 times

Advertisements

i've been searching the forums for sources as far as apartments as well as searching on my own. from all that we've been able to find, they've been accompanied with less than desirable reviews. we visit Columbia next week 4/29 and we would like to be able to secure a place for when we move at the end of may. if anyone has any suggestions, recommendations, we would greatly appreciate it

i've accepted a position with a bank that i believe is located relative close to the center of the city. my wife is a hairstylist who'll be looking for work in a salon.
our criteria is:

monthly in rent: 700 max
two adults, two kids (8 and 1) so in a good school district would be nice
at least a 3 bed room.

what side of town should we stay away from. i've heard the northeast side in the 29229 and 29223 zip codes are nice, while i've heard that some parts in the st. andrews area is best to be avoided (and i've read vice versa)

any clarity or insight would be helpful. thanks again.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-22-2011, 06:48 AM

2 posts, read 2,405 times
I dont like the north east! Getting down town from the northeast can be a ***** you might want to think about west col. or Cayce. Both are just n the outher side ofthe river and take mins to get to main st. I would also stay away from Irmo and lexington unless you dont mind the traffic. both of those are nice places with good schools. Cayce has a pretty good high school and west col has whats called airport high. the northeast has spring valley high, Irmo has Irmo high and Lex has lex high. All of those schools are large. I dont know if this has helped you but good luck finding a place and your new job.

Old 04-22-2011, 10:20 AM

541 posts, read 2,138,994 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saludajon View Post
I dont like the north east! Getting down town from the northeast can be a *****
No offense, but I am giggling at this comment. I guess it's all in one's perspective, but where I come from, the notion that Columbia has traffic is laughable. I've spent some time there, and traffic is nothing compared to where I come from. And yes, I've made the trip into downtown Columbia from the NE area on different days of the week during what should be considered "rush hour" and had no problems.

Old 04-22-2011, 12:05 PM

23 posts, read 27,845 times
we'll be there for the weekend so i think we'll get a feel for the traffic. our primary concern rental property reputation, quality and safety and of course schools (elementary at the moment)

i appreciate the feedback

Old 04-22-2011, 01:26 PM

1,477 posts, read 2,198,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tr03 View Post
we'll be there for the weekend so i think we'll get a feel for the traffic. our primary concern rental property reputation, quality and safety and of course schools (elementary at the moment)

i appreciate the feedback
The northeast has a large array of apartments spread out in several locations. And, the drive from the northeast to the downtown is very easy. I haven't looked at apartments since I first came to Columbia. However, I did look around extensively in the NE and in other parts of Columbia. $700 for 3 bedrooms will be somewhat tricky. I do not believe that you will be able to get that in the nicer areas of the northeast. In fact, it is probably a stretch that you would get a 2 bedroom for that. I could be wrong on that. However, I just cannot recall seeing those types of rates a few years ago - at least not in the nicer parts of NE Cola.

Old 04-27-2011, 08:44 PM

92 posts, read 290,330 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seattleite61 View Post
No offense, but I am giggling at this comment. I guess it's all in one's perspective, but where I come from, the notion that Columbia has traffic is laughable. I've spent some time there, and traffic is nothing compared to where I come from. And yes, I've made the trip into downtown Columbia from the NE area on different days of the week during what should be considered "rush hour" and had no problems.

I have to disagree. "Traffic" isn't as much related to the size of a city as it is how well the roads are designed to accommodate the number of travelers. I moved here from a larger city and figured that Columbia traffic would be nothing. Yet I have found that traveling locally here is difficult, comparatively, mainly because the infrastructure is poor. The roads are inadequate in design, poorly maintained, and not well-marked at all. I doubt there would be "traffic" here if roads were built and upgraded as needed, but they're not.

Lexington is small but I think the traffic there is a serious hassle. I considered moving there but on my first two visits, I sat in bumper-to-bumper lines in the middle of the afternoon. Quickly crossed it off my list!

Old 05-03-2011, 09:30 PM

541 posts, read 2,138,994 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leah79 View Post
I have to disagree. "Traffic" isn't as much related to the size of a city as it is how well the roads are designed to accommodate the number of travelers. I moved here from a larger city and figured that Columbia traffic would be nothing. Yet I have found that traveling locally here is difficult, comparatively, mainly because the infrastructure is poor. The roads are inadequate in design, poorly maintained, and not well-marked at all. I doubt there would be "traffic" here if roads were built and upgraded as needed, but they're not.

Lexington is small but I think the traffic there is a serious hassle. I considered moving there but on my first two visits, I sat in bumper-to-bumper lines in the middle of the afternoon. Quickly crossed it off my list!
I will gladly take Columbia's "traffic" and poor infrastructure over Seattle's ANY DAY!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Columbia area