Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Columbia area
 [Register]
Columbia area Columbia - Lexington - Irmo
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-04-2011, 02:52 AM

7 posts, read 46,751 times

Advertisements

We are moving to Columbia area early next year and are currently trying to decide where to buy a house. There are a several homes listed in the Lake Carolina area that are very appealing to us. We are looking for a family friendly community with amenities such as a community pool, playgrounds and walking paths. Good schools are also extremely important. Our oldest child will start high school next year. I understand that Lake Carolina is zoned for Ridge View High School. We are interested in hearing what other people have to say about both Lake Carolina and Ridge View High School. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-04-2011, 06:11 AM

12,952 posts, read 18,813,886 times
Out there is suburbia at its best as I understand it.

Old 07-04-2011, 08:55 AM

343 posts, read 1,047,185 times
I don't know anything about the school, but Lake Carolina is really nice. We go there to walk when the weather is nice. Great walking paths, lots of trees, varied neighbodhoods. There are areas that are a little older, the houses seem smaller. I like the areas closer to the little "town center" they have.

Old 07-05-2011, 11:42 AM

163 posts, read 664,986 times
Lake Carolina has all those things you mentioned -- playgrounds, pool, walking trails; there are a ton of young families there. LC is in the Richland 2 school district, which has a strong reputation. LC Elementary in particular comes well recommended. Not all houses in LC go to LC Elementary, so you might want to double check on particular houses you are interested in. Ridge View has recently undergone some additions. It seems like a nice facility. I don't know much about the school itself, but since it draws from LC and is in Richland 2, its stats are probably right up there with the better high schools in Columbia.

One thing to be aware of is that traffic can be congested getting out of LC during morning rush hour. I have a number of friends who live in LC and love it overall, though they do complain sometimes about the traffic.

Old 07-05-2011, 01:27 PM

541 posts, read 2,139,957 times
We are heading out to Columbia next week to start our house hunting. I've made a few trips out there already to check out the area, but Lake Carolina is at the top of our list as well, for most of the same amenities you mentioned. As far as traffic, I guess it would depend on what time of the morning you are leaving - by your screen name I assume you will be heading in to Ft Jackson, which most of the time means an earlier than normal commute time.

We have a couple of other areas on the list, but LC is leading the pack. Good luck to you in your search
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Columbia area