Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Columbia area
 [Register]
Columbia area Columbia - Lexington - Irmo
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-23-2006, 06:54 PM

2 posts, read 6,501 times

Advertisements

I would greatly appreciate some impute on Kershaw County. I see alot on Lexington but I have been drawn to the Elgin - Lugoff area. I have two kids one is in 1st grade so schools are important. How far are the stores etc.. any information would be great. Thank you
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-24-2006, 09:11 AM

291 posts, read 1,782,105 times
Hi there! We are from Connecticut but that is where we are moving as soon as our house sells. It is a very nice area 15-20 minutes from Columbia. Everything you need is right there on route1. The schools are good. Crime is low. It is a nice central location. Good friends of ours moved there 4 months back and love it. From what I have seen Lugoff has less trailers and older run down properties than Elgin. Camden is nice as well but out of the 3 Lugoff is my choice. Lots of new developements bein zoned right now. I hope to be there by jan-feb.The Lexington side has more traffic and taxes. The taxes are very low in Kershaw.

Old 09-24-2006, 12:31 PM

2 posts, read 6,501 times
Thankyou Salatheel - I am from NJ and will be looking at visiting Kershaw around Thanksgiving. Its nice to know I will not be the only newbie in town

Old 09-24-2006, 03:04 PM

291 posts, read 1,782,105 times
Your welcome! My wife and I have spent the past 18 months visiting the Carolinas trying to find the right fit for us. After checking out Wilmington,Raleigh,Fuquay,Cary,Apex,Holly Springs,Hampsted,Conway,Myrtle Beach,Summerville,Goose Creek,Monks Corner,Mount Pleasant,Charleston,Georgetown,Charlotte,Greenvill e,Rock Hill,Matthews,Monroe,York,and Huntersville, believe it or not the place that felt like home was the Columbia area. Specifically Lugoff and Elgin.

Old 12-03-2006, 08:56 PM

2 posts, read 6,500 times
I am also planning on moving to Elgin. I have done a lot of research and read that the schools are nice, crime is low and the weather is nice. Anything south of New England must be warmer. I also like the prices on homes down there.

Any info on Elgin would be great. Like the people, stores, restaurants, and anything else that you like about the area.

Oh and are there a lot of tornadoes in or near Elgin?? I know there is a threat of a Hurricane just like up here in RI. But tornadoes are on a whole different scale.. Thanks in advance for any info..

Old 12-04-2006, 06:25 AM

1,417 posts, read 6,908,723 times
Isn't Camden in Kershaw County? I hear it's really nice (horse country).

Old 12-05-2006, 02:23 PM

14 posts, read 49,342 times
Default elgin

there are some nice areas in elgin as well as some very rural run down sections. you can find what you are looking for, i'm sure. there is major shopping in that area. i don't know much about the schools there but having moved from the Phila/NJ area - we love it down south.

what brings you down? we need more yankees here! welcome aboard and let me know if i can help you get accomodated.

rod
www.mymurraywood.org

Old 12-12-2006, 09:10 AM

2 posts, read 6,500 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rodarters View Post
there are some nice areas in elgin as well as some very rural run down sections. you can find what you are looking for, i'm sure. there is major shopping in that area. i don't know much about the schools there but having moved from the Phila/NJ area - we love it down south.

what brings you down? we need more yankees here! welcome aboard and let me know if i can help you get accomodated.

rod
www.mymurraywood.org
I'm originally from California and moved to New England for my wife. I'm sick of the weather, drivers, people, and cost of living. Houses up here are entirely to expensive. We also thought of Georgetown, Texas but there are too many tornadoes in Texas. I have heard really nice things about Elgin and surrounding areas, not to mention how cheap new houses are.

Old 12-23-2006, 06:12 PM

83 posts, read 271,492 times
Welcome fellow Yankee. I bought my home in Lugoff 10 months ago and I have to say it was the best decision of my life! I live in one of those new devopments that have sprung up (it was all trees a year ago) and I couldn't be happier. I have a 10-year-old who walks to school each morning because it's on the corner. There's a church on the other corner. The sun rises in my living room and sets on my front yard and each day I thank God that I moved here. Low crime, friendly people and easy-to-access amenities are this town's trademark. Hope this helps.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Columbia area