Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Columbia area
 [Register]
Columbia area Columbia - Lexington - Irmo
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-08-2007, 06:26 AM

1 posts, read 2,683 times

Advertisements

[SIZE=3]We just returned from our possible relocation to Columbia trip & are pretty excited to make the move. ) DH’s job would be @ I-20 & Clemson. I believe we’ve narrowed it down to 2 subdivisions: Woodlands ~ Larger homes on Larger lots but older homes w/older floor plans, approx. commute w/ traffic 15mins.[/SIZE][SIZE=3]Woodlands one concern was, how stable is the golf course? [/SIZE]
[SIZE=3] Lake Carolina ~ New homes w/new open floor plans, but smaller sf & small lots, approx commute 30mins.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=3]Also, looking for any info on homeschooling? Currently both girls ages 4 & 6½ are in private school, however I’ve always thought about hs. [/SIZE]

[SIZE=3]Also, my mom is an elem. teacher & will need to find a new job; will it prove to be difficult? [/SIZE]

[SIZE=3]Any helpful input/advice would be greatly appreciated! [/SIZE]
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-08-2007, 05:45 PM

10,966 posts, read 21,972,507 times
You will be in a good school district either way. Honestly, we aren't qualified to answer your question as you will be living in the home and everyone's opinion is just that-opinion. You should make the decision yourself, especially since you've visited both. Which way are you leaning?

Old 01-31-2008, 08:36 PM

1 posts, read 2,576 times
Default Woodlands

I have lived in the Woodlands now for over 10 years and love the neighborhood. The golf course is great! You can't beat the location, Interstate and shopping are very easy to get to.

Old 02-01-2008, 11:26 AM

62 posts, read 135,972 times
Hello, since you have seen it personally, how large (on average) are the lots in Lake Carolina? We are looking for a brand new, large home on a large lot. Not easy to find!

Old 02-01-2008, 02:47 PM

6,830 posts, read 16,557,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolinaHopefuls View Post
Hello, since you have seen it personally, how large (on average) are the lots in Lake Carolina? We are looking for a brand new, large home on a large lot. Not easy to find!

What do you consider a large lot? My home is on 1/3 acre and I think that is way too big. Some people think an acre is a large lot. I'd prefer 1/10 acre or less.

Old 02-04-2008, 02:07 PM

62 posts, read 135,972 times
Hi, Matt
1/2 to 1 acre would be ideal. Can you recommend any developments around Columbia that have lots around this size?
Thank you very much!
Kate

Old 02-04-2008, 02:17 PM

6,830 posts, read 16,557,106 times
Hopefuls, I may leave that recommendation to Brandon. While I know a lot about in-town neighborhoods, I know little about the suburbs, which is where you would find that size lot. I have been through Lake Carolina and you may find some 1/2 acre lots there, but I doubt it. You would probably need to go a little further out to find lots that size, maybe in the Blythewood area.

Old 02-05-2008, 03:03 PM

435 posts, read 1,529,802 times
Default Woodlands & Larger Lots in LC / Blythewood options

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dsny Fmly View Post
[SIZE=3]We just returned from our possible relocation to Columbia trip & are pretty excited to make the move. ) DH’s job would be @ I-20 & Clemson. I believe we’ve narrowed it down to 2 subdivisions: Woodlands ~ Larger homes on Larger lots but older homes w/older floor plans, approx. commute w/ traffic 15mins.[/SIZE][SIZE=3]Woodlands one concern was, how stable is the golf course? [/SIZE]
[SIZE=3] Lake Carolina ~ New homes w/new open floor plans, but smaller sf & small lots, approx commute 30mins.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=3]Also, looking for any info on homeschooling? Currently both girls ages 4 & 6½ are in private school, however I’ve always thought about hs. [/SIZE]

[SIZE=3]Also, my mom is an elem. teacher & will need to find a new job; will it prove to be difficult? [/SIZE]

[SIZE=3]Any helpful input/advice would be greatly appreciated! [/SIZE]
Your assessment of Woodlands vs. Lake Carolina seem accurate. You will probably find more ~1980s vintage homes in Woodlands. My sense is that the golf course is relatively stable, if a bit less "prestigious" (though I would imagine cheaper) than neighboring golf courses like Wildewood, Spring Valley, and Wood Creek Farms.

Lake Carolina technically does have lots in the 1/3 - 3/4 acre range, but there are not particularly plentiful. Lots of those sizes are typically scattered around the pricier but otherwise conventional "suburban" neighborhoods like Berkeley Manor, the Bluffs, etc. In other words, you will not find them in the core neotraditional Harborside neighborhood or the mid-priced conventional home areas (i.e., The Oaks, Magnolia Bluff, etc.). There are probably more lots in that size range in The Peninsula, Lake Carolina's one gated neighborhood. However, your typical Lake Carolina lot will not be much more than 1/4 of an acre. If you want a 1/2 acre and up with the surrounding area having a more country feel, I would second Waccamatt's suggestion of looking into Blythewood. You can even find some of the same home models found in Lake Carolina in some of the surrounding areas - for example, Essex Homes SE builds some of the same homes you will find in LC's Berkeley Manor neighborhood in another subdivision called Seaton Ridge, a couple of miles west of LC in Blythewood. However, you will not get the amenities in Seaton Ridge that you do in LC (i.e., walking trail, landscaping, commercial town center, sidewalks, schools, YMCA, etc. - ) everything is a trade-off).

Old 02-07-2008, 11:57 AM

10,966 posts, read 21,972,507 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolinaHopefuls View Post
Hi, Matt
1/2 to 1 acre would be ideal. Can you recommend any developments around Columbia that have lots around this size?
Thank you very much!
Kate
There are quite a few possibilities. If you can narrow that down to a price range and location I'll be happy to suggest a few places.

Old 02-12-2008, 06:44 PM

64 posts, read 209,424 times
What about the "outskirts" of Columbia, specifically Elgin/Lugoff area. Its not far from Clemson road (on I-20 Clemson Road is exit 80 and Elgin is exit 87). Additionally, there are new developments out here that have that acreage your looking for. Just thought I'd try to help out. :-) If you need any pictures or anything of the area let me know and I'd be more than happy to take them for you!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Columbia area