Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Columbia area
 [Register]
Columbia area Columbia - Lexington - Irmo
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-19-2012, 08:25 AM

12 posts, read 15,845 times

Advertisements

I'm looking at renting something off Marley Drive in Columbia and have driven around the neighborhood several times. It looks like a nice area to me but there's no "name" for the subdivision from what I can tell so I can't find anything as to what this area is like crime-wise. It's right near where I-20 meets Broad River and I know that area can be sketchy but this particular neighborhood looks good to me. Any info anyone has on this area would be greatly appreciated though as it's kinda guesswork for me right now.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-19-2012, 03:08 PM

8,275 posts, read 13,450,579 times
I believe the name of that area is Emerald Valley. From what I gather its not a "bad" neighborhood per say.. Most of the sections that have had more problems in that area are the condo/apartments behind the St. Andrew's Post Office or across I-20 behind the the old motels along the frontage roads. Even then, I havent heard much as of recently. The neighborhoods surrounding Columbia High School also have had their ups and downs.. I believe most of their problems have stemmed from the placement of duplexes and mini apartments on certain streets which often attracts problem tenants and it takes its toll on the neighborhood. Whats interesting is that unlike in many intown neighborhoods where one can say X neighborhood is a bad neighborhood. In the older suburbs it is more street to street or even house to house.. One street could be perfectly nice and you go around the corner and the next street in the same neighborhood is a hell hole usually because of one or a few houses. Since there is nothing to walk to most of the individuals will hang in the yard or along the street near the problem house and usually the traffic to/from is in cars because of the suburban nature. So you have to deal with the vehicle traffic and maybe the booming systems that occupany that if its teenager/young adult drivers.

Thats what I have seen in the neighborhoods immediately surrounding Columbia High along with the normal foot traffic to and from the School and all the petty things that may occur as a result of that. I certainly wouldnt buy in the area because I believe the values have flat lined and may even be declining.. Renting should be fine because you can leave whenever your lease is up. From a safety standpoint, I would contact the Richland County Sheriff's Office and give them the name of the neighborhood or the address. The Zip Code is 29210 which may even be better and they can give you crime stats.

Good Luck

Old 12-19-2012, 03:11 PM

12 posts, read 15,845 times
Thank you SO much Woodlands!!!

Old 12-20-2012, 10:47 AM

11,006 posts, read 22,054,028 times
Yes, it's Emerald Valley. I pretty much concur with Woodlands.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Columbia area