Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Columbia area
 [Register]
Columbia area Columbia - Lexington - Irmo
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-24-2016, 04:32 AM

1,101 posts, read 1,338,192 times

Advertisements

@waccamatt the arena is pretty booked up though so dates that both it and the convention
Center are jointly available are few so Greenville, Charleston, and even Hilton head and Athens Georgia are all still more attractive as the article suggests .

But yes this is a solvable problem. If they signaled a super sizing the requisite new hotel supply would happen organically and likely in the vistas glaring holes Gervais and assembly on those surface parking lots but that said this will likely be a decade long quest as getting Lexington county to help foot the bill will not be easy and without their support this will take a lot longer than a decade
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-24-2016, 07:50 AM

2,133 posts, read 2,275,249 times
I saw no mention of the hotel that the Kline Steel site would bring? That would have to be a significant addition of rooms. Also, how would they plan on expanding the existing convention center? I assume it would be "out" rather than "up". If they expand out, it seems like they would build on the parking lot separating the CLA and the convention center.

400 room hotel? Nice. That'd be a building that would make a great addition to the skyline.

Old 07-24-2016, 08:03 AM

1,802 posts, read 2,032,941 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by smithgn View Post
I saw no mention of the hotel that the Kline Steel site would bring? That would have to be a significant addition of rooms. Also, how would they plan on expanding the existing convention center? I assume it would be "out" rather than "up". If they expand out, it seems like they would build on the parking lot separating the CLA and the convention center.

400 room hotel? Nice. That'd be a building that would make a great addition to the skyline.
The article mentioned that the center was designed to be expanded towards the CLA over the existing parking lot.

If I recall correctly, I think the Kline hotel was about 150 rooms or so, so likely a limited service hotel. It will add rooms but won't alleviate the lack of full service hotel space.

Old 07-24-2016, 08:24 AM

2,133 posts, read 2,275,249 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCxpBrussel View Post
The article mentioned that the center was designed to be expanded towards the CLA over the existing parking lot.

If I recall correctly, I think the Kline hotel was about 150 rooms or so, so likely a limited service hotel. It will add rooms but won't alleviate the lack of full service hotel space.
Ah! I glossed over the article several times, still not the same as actually reading it lol Makes sense, though.

You're about right, this old news story says 130 Nearly 300 apartments coming to prominent downtown Columbia site | The State

Old 07-25-2016, 07:28 AM

37,882 posts, read 41,980,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by waccamatt View Post
I get it; kind of like the KKK. No wonder I never had any interest in being in a frat.
Come on Matt...the KKK? Really?

Old 07-25-2016, 07:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingofCola View Post
A good story on Columbia's minuscule convention center, " too small the day it opened"
And the smallest in the region and why it needs to be quadrupled in size

Meeting planners, downtown booster, tourism experts want Columbia Metropolitan Convention Center expanded | The State
The advantage the convention center has is location; it is the only downtown stand-alone convention center in SC. Hopefully expansion will happen soon. But as far as the Hilton? I criticized it from the jump as being way too small to be an anchor convention center hotel. Ideally, it would have been nice for the convention center to have been built next to or within a block of the Marriott but there's no room, and the proposed Hilton at the time ran into the issue of height restrictions in the Vista that limited its size.

This was a prime example of thinking too small all the way around.

Old 07-25-2016, 09:25 AM

1,802 posts, read 2,032,941 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
The advantage the convention center has is location; it is the only downtown stand-alone convention center in SC. Hopefully expansion will happen soon. But as far as the Hilton? I criticized it from the jump as being way too small to be an anchor convention center hotel. Ideally, it would have been nice for the convention center to have been built next to or within a block of the Marriott but there's no room, and the proposed Hilton at the time ran into the issue of height restrictions in the Vista that limited its size.

This was a prime example of thinking too small all the way around.
You're right, this way small thinking from the start. However, when this was built, Columbia hadn't really hit its stride and didn't have the civic confidence it does now. Main St was still largely dead, the Vista was still getting its legs, etc. If the choice was between building a small convention center or nothing at all, I'm glad they built the small center - at least they had the foresight to plan for expansion.

Old 07-25-2016, 10:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCxpBrussel View Post
You're right, this way small thinking from the start. However, when this was built, Columbia hadn't really hit its stride and didn't have the civic confidence it does now. Main St was still largely dead, the Vista was still getting its legs, etc. If the choice was between building a small convention center or nothing at all, I'm glad they built the small center - at least they had the foresight to plan for expansion.
Yeah I agree, and the location somewhat makes up for the small size.

But there's no excuse for building such a small anchor hotel IMO.

Old 07-25-2016, 02:25 PM

1,101 posts, read 1,338,192 times
Guys you know it would be possible to build a brand-new convention center at Bull Street.
The problem with building over the existing parking lot is it would still be a lot smaller than many of its prime competitors .

Old 07-25-2016, 02:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingofCola View Post
Guys you know it would be possible to build a brand-new convention center at Bull Street.
The problem with building over the existing parking lot is it would still be a lot smaller than many of its prime competitors .
Is this tongue-in-cheek or are you being serious?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Columbia area