Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Columbia area
 [Register]
Columbia area Columbia - Lexington - Irmo
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-28-2023, 08:30 AM

1,151 posts, read 953,596 times

Advertisements

I have been looking at Street Malls over the past day or so and one caught my eye. The 16th Street Mall in Denver. I think if Columbia want's to really bring people in I think we should strive to turning Main Street from Gervais to Elmwood into a vibrant dense walking only street similar to The 16th street Mall.

Theres so much potential there it's crazy.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-28-2023, 09:56 AM

751 posts, read 565,608 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Growingup15 View Post
I have been looking at Street Malls over the past day or so and one caught my eye. The 16th Street Mall in Denver. I think if Columbia want's to really bring people in I think we should strive to turning Main Street from Gervais to Elmwood into a vibrant dense walking only street similar to The 16th street Mall.

Theres so much potential there it's crazy.
Main Street between Gervais and say Taylor could do this without as much difficulty and kind of does already with the farmer's market, but I think this could be a really cool ambition for South Main Street. The streets are quite wide as is, but with streetscaping they should look closer to this in terms of walkability and shading over time.

Old 03-01-2023, 06:49 AM

8,223 posts, read 13,338,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Growingup15 View Post
Oh whats this? Looks like I'm not the only one finally getting the idea of pedestrianizing Main Street.

Article

The Article said that some believe it can be a thing but that it's not dense enough yet.

How about this then? An Idea I brought up a few times before. Start off with closing Main Street off after 6pm with automatic raised barriers and turn it pedestrian until the morning. Maybe start it off on Weekdays it raises up after 6pm until 6am and on Weekends Friday it raises 6pm but doesn't come back down until Monday 6am Give it a trial run before fully switching over to Car Free.
Seems that most of the "density" opportunities are along Sumter St and along Assembly on the ocean of surface lots. I wonder if the city could somehow encourage these lots to redevelop...especially the one across from The HUB. Other opportunities include the Richland County Courthouse if/when they relocate. The other city owned parcel across from the COMET hub as well....so between Richland and Gervais could become more urban for sure and I would put Laurel St on a road diet in between Sumter and Assembly and maybe take the Main St Streetscape up to Richland St in front of the old Jefferson Square. It also provides a nice gateway up to Finlay Park via Laurel St and you can add more retail potentially with new development along Main to Richland

https://www.google.com/maps/place/Co...16zL20vMGZ2X3Q

https://www.google.com/maps/@34.0095...7i16384!8i8192

https://www.google.com/maps/@34.0088...7i16384!8i8192

In fact.. I wonder if Laurel St between Sumter and Assembly could be converted into a "Festival Street" that could be closed off for events and gatherings. It would provide a northern anchor to Main Street and a connection to Finaly Park. Its not a well traveled street in this location and with City Hall, the Fed Building, and the Office Tower.. it likely would not impact any business especially on nights and weekends. The COMET is at the other end for transit connections. The city owned block and the Richland Courthouse will be redeveloped for additional amenties over time. The link below is in Raleigh.. just to highlight a multipurpose street ...I am sure others can find there are better examples

https://www.google.com/maps/@35.7743...7i13312!8i6656

Last edited by Woodlands; 03-01-2023 at 07:09 AM..

Old 05-02-2023, 12:35 PM

273 posts, read 245,869 times
Talk about a renaissance, right guys!!!! Columbia has made massive moves lately. Looks like all we’ve talked about is coming to fruition.

Old 06-12-2023, 02:24 PM

403 posts, read 232,021 times
Interesting listing on LoopNet, it appears that Seibels will be leaving their downtown location. Wonder if they are relocating within the metro area, leaving Columbia all together or just downsizing due to many employees switching to work from home.

https://www.loopnet.com/Listing/1501...hoCDqEQAvD_BwE

Old 06-13-2023, 07:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by forestcracker View Post
Interesting listing on LoopNet, it appears that Seibels will be leaving their downtown location. Wonder if they are relocating within the metro area, leaving Columbia all together or just downsizing due to many employees switching to work from home.

https://www.loopnet.com/Listing/1501...hoCDqEQAvD_BwE
Seems like a good candidate for an office to residential conversion. The views of downtown from there could be nice and its proximity to USC is also a plus. I would have liked the State of SC to consider keeping their office space intown. There may not be an existing building to accommodate them but it would likely be the city's only shot at getting a new midrise office building if it had an anchor tenant like the State of SC (DHEC) in it.. but I think they will likely decamp for the NE Richland. The land they leave behind being redevelop may be a consolation prize.

Whatever happened to the old VA building above Finley Park? Is that still moving forward? I thought I saw it for sale as well at one time on Loopnet marketing the entitlements and designs it has to be residential as a selling point? If that has stalled then that may not bode well for the old Seibels property because that one certainly has high dollar views.. though its location may not be as desirable as something closer to USC.

Old 06-13-2023, 09:08 AM

403 posts, read 232,021 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodlands View Post
Seems like a good candidate for an office to residential conversion. The views of downtown from there could be nice and its proximity to USC is also a plus. I would have liked the State of SC to consider keeping their office space intown. There may not be an existing building to accommodate them but it would likely be the city's only shot at getting a new midrise office building if it had an anchor tenant like the State of SC (DHEC) in it.. but I think they will likely decamp for the NE Richland. The land they leave behind being redevelop may be a consolation prize.

Whatever happened to the old VA building above Finley Park? Is that still moving forward? I thought I saw it for sale as well at one time on Loopnet marketing the entitlements and designs it has to be residential as a selling point? If that has stalled then that may not bode well for the old Seibels property because that one certainly has high dollar views.. though its location may not be as desirable as something closer to USC.
From what I understand on the VA building, they started doing demolition inside but were unable to secure funding needed and stopped. It is now listed again as a possible apartment complex or hotel.

Old 06-13-2023, 10:15 AM

Is parking really that big a problem in downtown Columbia? I have found it problematic..on the street. But there is plenty of parking, from what I have seen, in the neighboring garages. I dont know if the issue here is people absolutely have to park within eyesight of their destination or they will drive all the way out to Harbison in protest or is there actually adequate parking overall in downtown if you are not afraid to....*gulp* PARK IN A GARAGE.... the horror?

https://news.yahoo.com/fix-columbia-...154847410.html

Old 06-13-2023, 12:12 PM

751 posts, read 565,608 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by forestcracker View Post
From what I understand on the VA building, they started doing demolition inside but were unable to secure funding needed and stopped. It is now listed again as a possible apartment complex or hotel.
It's up for $9.75M: https://1801assembly.com/

The initial funding seemed a bit questionable to be honest since it was a Seychelles-based son of a diplomat who did something in London, but had never developed in the US. No surprise it didn't pan out.

Old 06-14-2023, 08:35 AM

Default City wants to relocate homeless shelters

https://www.yahoo.com/news/columbia-...174755902.html

So I am sure downtown boosters will love this and some homeless advocates will decry it . I also wonder where they are planning to move and consolidate these services. They will likely have to be in the City Limits and on a city bus route. I am sure no neighborhood would want it there nor would a commercial area. I suspect the winner will be Beltline Blvd between Farrow and Two Notch, Farrow Road itself or far North Main.. if it remains in the City Limits. If that is no object.. then I suspect Two Notch Road or Broad River will be winners. There is also no guarantee the homeless will go to an area outside of the CBD. Services aside.. the CBD has the most concentration of workers/customers/ shoppers that they an approach to panhandle.. That cant/wont happen any area outside of downtown unless its a shopping center parking lot. Since those are private property and not a public sidewalk..that too will be limited. Way more public land to hang out on in the CBD vs the suburbs along with places to crash sleep that are not occupied at night. Not as much in the burbs or inner burbs.. It will be interesting to see how this pans out.. no pun intended....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Columbia area