Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Columbia area
 [Register]
Columbia area Columbia - Lexington - Irmo
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-04-2007, 06:53 PM

1 posts, read 6,673 times

Advertisements

Hey! I am from Ukraine. Moved to Columbia, SC 3 weeks ago. Just wanted to know if here is somebody from my country.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-04-2007, 09:07 PM

6,830 posts, read 16,557,106 times
I think there used to be a Ukrainian restaurant here so there must be at least a few.

Old 03-03-2009, 03:05 PM

2 posts, read 8,287 times
Hello!

I'm first generation Ukrainian...my parents came in the fall of 1949. I still speak some Ukrainian, read and write, but don't use it often. I live in Charleston SC. The only Ukrainians I've met are students who come here to work in the restaurants during the summer and want to stay. I met one other lady who moved to the states about 10 years ago and came to SC because her son lives here. I have to go to Ohio where my mother lives to get some good Ukrainian food, though she's getting old and doesn't want to cook anymore. My Ukrainian name is Ivanka Opryszko and my parents came from the Lviv area.

I wish you well!

Old 03-03-2009, 08:40 PM

6,830 posts, read 16,557,106 times
Try contacting the Columbia International Festival; they are a good place to start.

Columbia International Festival

Old 03-04-2009, 05:14 AM

843 posts, read 2,746,560 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jane Miller View Post
I have to go to Ohio where my mother lives to get some good Ukrainian food, though she's getting old and doesn't want to cook anymore.
There seems to be a decent Ukrainian population in NW Ohio. My stepdad is 1st generation as well (his parents came over around the same time) and grew up in Toledo, later moving down to SE Ohio (which is where I grew up). I sure do miss his mom's cookin'...

Old 03-04-2009, 05:53 AM

5,590 posts, read 15,371,404 times
We have a decent number in Greenville as well, although I can't say how many. The International Ballet Academy (a division of locally-based International Ballet Company (http://internationalballetcompany.org/index.cfm - broken link)) has brought lots of young Ukrainian artists to our city during the past 4+ years as part of its on-going student exchange program with the Kiev Municipal Ukrainian Academy of Dance. They add a great deal of expertise and charm to the local arts scene and are often seen out and about, enjoying our beautiful downtown.

Old 03-26-2009, 01:57 PM

1 posts, read 6,230 times
I am an Ukranian born in South America. My mom is from the same villiage that your parents are from. She left the Ukraine when she was 6 years old. I believe in 1936. She went to Paraguay and marry my dad He was WhiteRussian. Then they moved to Argentina and there is where my sister and me were born. My Parents name are Ana Semerenko and My dad was Roman Prychodzko. We came to the US in 1976 and I married to an Uruguayan Man. I only can cook borsht but I am very sad that I don't cook so much ukranian. I speak mixing Russian and Ukranian. My mom have a lot of cousins that moved to the US. Some of them live in Ashville NC and they go to an Ukranian Church. They have good potlucks and lots of Ukranian food. The church probably has more than 1000 ukranians. Hope to hear from you.
Susana

Old 09-16-2011, 06:58 PM

1 posts, read 4,859 times
Default Ukrainian

Quote:
Originally Posted by LenchikBrown View Post
Hey! I am from Ukraine. Moved to Columbia, SC 3 weeks ago. Just wanted to know if here is somebody from my country.
Hey, I am Lilly. I am from Ukraine. My family lives in Columbia. Moved here a year ago from Ohio. You can contact me at [EMAIL="barvaexpress@yahoo.com"]barvaexpress@yahoo.com[/EMAIL]. Thank you.

Old 09-17-2011, 05:31 AM

12,882 posts, read 18,736,837 times
Another Greenvillian jumps in to tout Greenville in a Columbia thread. I drive a Honda, so I'm staying out of Greenville.

http://www.greenvilleonline.com/arti...text|FRONTPAGE

Old 02-21-2012, 06:23 AM

1 posts, read 4,576 times
Volodymyr Vynnytsky who is originally from the Ukraine and is a pianist at the College of Charleston is performing a solo concert at the Charleston Library Society, 164 South king Street, Charleston SC on March 22 at 7 pm.
He will play Brahms,Skrk,Revytsky,Rachmaninoff, Liszt and more. Please come and support this gentleman who came here from your country of origin. He would enjoy hearing some Ukrainian too. We would too.
Please contact the Charleston Library Society at 1-888-718-4253 or [url=http://www.charlestonlibrarysociety.org]The Charleston Library Society - Home[/url]
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Columbia area