Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Columbia area
 [Register]
Columbia area Columbia - Lexington - Irmo
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-19-2013, 09:32 PM

141 posts, read 436,822 times

Advertisements

Hi all,

I've posted on here a few times. I've been reading various postings and looking up apartment complexes online. But, I'm running into a problem. I'm moving to Columbia as a professional, not an undergrad or grad student. I want to get an apartment initially and then a maybe a home as I learn more about the area and adjust. As I read postings, I see a lot of apartments listed for college students and being close to campus. I prefer to not live in an apartment complex with an undergraduate feel to it. Where do working professionals live? Granted, I'm young and not boring, but I prefer to not have the college scene at my apartment complex. What apartment complexes are good for working professionals?

I'm hoping to keep rent at $800 max. A washer and dryer in unit would be great. I am hoping for furnished, but that's not required. I will rent furniture separately/temporarily if necessary until I get settled. I'm a woman moving there solo with no children or pets. So, I'm looking for safe place within a short distance to shopping for daily living and not too far from enterainment (but not right in the middle of it). A modern and clean complex and community are important to me.

Help!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-19-2013, 09:48 PM

166 posts, read 190,753 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blueslily View Post
Hi all,

I've posted on here a few times. I've been reading various postings and looking up apartment complexes online. But, I'm running into a problem. I'm moving to Columbia as a professional, not an undergrad or grad student. I want to get an apartment initially and then a maybe a home as I learn more about the area and adjust. As I read postings, I see a lot of apartments listed for college students and being close to campus. I prefer to not live in an apartment complex with an undergraduate feel to it. Where do working professionals live? Granted, I'm young and not boring, but I prefer to not have the college scene at my apartment complex. What apartment complexes are good for working professionals?

I'm hoping to keep rent at $800 max. A washer and dryer in unit would be great. I am hoping for furnished, but that's not required. I will rent furniture separately/temporarily if necessary until I get settled. I'm a woman moving there solo with no children or pets. So, I'm looking for safe place within a short distance to shopping for daily living and not too far from enterainment (but not right in the middle of it). A modern and clean complex and community are important to me.

Help!!!
What side of town do you want to be on?

I think Lullwater at Saluda, or something like that, is a nice one in Lexington. My bro lived there for a year or so. Over in Northeast Columbia, not too far from the Sandhills shopping center, in Elgin there is a one called Legacy at Spears Point, which also has good interstate access. You'd probably have less college kids in Northeast Columbia than anywhere b/c it is furhtur away from the school than the other areas. There are some other nice ones around Polo road that I don't know the name of. I think there is one called Keswick on Sparkleberry lane as well.

Irmo has an older one but probably decent right across from the Columbiana mall, I forget the name of it. Thhere are some new ones out on Lake Murray in Irmo but those are probably going to be more ethan 800 a month.

Old 06-20-2013, 09:24 AM

12,975 posts, read 18,833,725 times
Quote:
Hi all,

Help!!!
If your searches for apartments are turning up catch phrases for college students, you are probably looking in the downtown area. I don't know about the $800 limit with a washer and dryer in the unit, but you might want to look into Vista Commons, Canal Side, and Capitol Places for starters. You might consider staying in an Extended Stay Hotel if your short-term budget allows it, while looking around the downtown area and/or other areas for detached apartments and small apartment buildings. The money you save by landing a steal could pay you back for your Extended Stay stay.

Old 06-20-2013, 09:37 AM

3,961 posts, read 11,042,471 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Columbiadata View Post
If your searches for apartments are turning up catch phrases for college students, you are probably looking in the downtown area. I don't know about the $800 limit with a washer and dryer in the unit, but you might want to look into Vista Commons, Canal Side, and Capitol Places for starters. You might consider staying in an Extended Stay Hotel if your short-term budget allows it, while looking around the downtown area and/or other areas for detached apartments and small apartment buildings. The money you save by landing a steal could pay you back for your Extended Stay stay.
that's actually a good suggestion, allowing the OP to also put off having to go rent furniture right off the bat and give some time to make sure the place chosen to live is the optimal one. Better to find that out before a lease is signed and not after

Old 06-24-2013, 08:26 AM

141 posts, read 436,822 times
Thanks all. I'm ok will going a tad bit higher on the price range for a good fit. So, $850 or so is fine. I'm open to any area around Columbia as well. I'm not limited as long as I can get to work within 30 minutes. I'm hoping to live in a newer complex and yes, with the least college kids as possible. I'm finding that I could rent a washer and dryer so that's good.

Any more suggestions?

Old 06-24-2013, 10:01 AM

39 posts, read 92,931 times
Arcadia's Edge on Trenholm is nice, may be a little more than your price range, not sure. They have very nice kitchens with granite and stainless appliances, complex is very new, I think a little over a year old.

Old 06-25-2013, 08:30 AM

425 posts, read 633,420 times
Quote:
Thanks all. I'm ok will going a tad bit higher on the price range for a good fit. So, $850 or so is fine. I'm open to any area around Columbia as well. I'm not limited as long as I can get to work within 30 minutes. I'm hoping to live in a newer complex and yes, with the least college kids as possible. I'm finding that I could rent a washer and dryer so that's good.

Any more suggestions?
There is a new one in the Ballentine area just northwest of Irmo. I'm not sure how nice it is but if you look at an apartment finder type of book that you can get at grocery stores and other places under the Ballentine section you should see it in there, or on one of the apartment finder websites.

Most young women probably prefer Irmo area b/c it is near the nicest mall in the Columbia area. Not sure where you are working but if commute from downtown to Irmo might be rough at times b/c lot of traffic on the interstate out to Irmo so you might want to do that before moving out there to see how you handle it.

Old 07-07-2013, 07:56 PM

678 posts, read 802,513 times
You should definitely check out Granby Crossing in Cayce, across from Riverside Estates (which is basically student housing). Granby Crossing doesn't allow you to have a guarantor on your lease, so it cuts down dramatically on students since they require something like 3 times rent in gross income. You should check it out. It's very close to the vista and when I moved out they were asking $775 for rent for a one bedroom. Being on the second floor, I never had to run my heat in the winter and the place never dropped below 58 degrees or so. It's a very quiet community but friendly also with a somewhat vibrant pool/grilling atmosphere going on in the summer.

I will add that the apartments themselves are nothing special but have generally been well maintained. The landscaping is really quite impressive though and location is great for the price.

Old 08-13-2013, 12:31 PM

3 posts, read 3,508 times
I live at Broad River Trace and really like it overall. Mostly professionals. Not many kids as there is no playground/kid accoutrements. It's right on the river and interstate and is tucked away- sort of hidden. All I see from my (large) balcony is beautiful trees. It's kept up very well and maintenance is super fast, very responsive. Nice pool, pond, hot tub, fitness area.

They have washer dryer hookups. You can call Frank's appliance and get a cheap set that they'll deliver, then they'll buy them back from you when you leave. That might be cheaper than renting.

The only complex I know of with W/D in the unit already is Wellspring on Harbison- no where near the U. Not as nice as BRT imo, but still decent and cheaper, and you get a free membership to the rec center.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Columbia area