Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Columbia area
 [Register]
Columbia area Columbia - Lexington - Irmo
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-10-2014, 09:34 PM

120 posts, read 150,399 times

Advertisements

I read in an old Atlanta article that when Von Maur was opening it's second location at Perimeter Mall (GGP Property BTW). It said that Von Maur want's to eventually expand to Alabama and the Carolinas. What if this is the opportunity the Von Maur is waiting for?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-11-2014, 12:46 PM

4,603 posts, read 6,034,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by woffgrad13 View Post
@vistatiger It sure does have another pad available. This is taken from ggp's website for Columbiana. See the future box.

http://www.ggp.com/content/corporate...E-3697-SP1.pdf
I remember that from when the mall first opened. It was a grassy area at one time. It may have been paved over. It was once labeled as "Future Dept. Store". They could easily fit one there and maybe a parking deck. I am surprised they have not expanded into that area already since space is so maxed out there and along Harbison.

Old 01-12-2014, 09:18 AM

1,521 posts, read 1,948,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nortonguy View Post
The 10 mile radius population...

Augusta- 329,403
http://www.ggp.com/content/corporate...l_mallfact.pdf

Columbia- 288,034
http://www.ggp.com/content/corporate...e_mallfact.pdf

Daytime employment
3 mile
Augusta- 29,480
Columbia- 28,795

5 mile
Augusta- 76,200
Columbia- 48,529
Again, these numbers do not play an accurate role in portraying our market. A 10 mile radius from Columbiana only includes Irmo, the Lake side of Lexington, and only extends into the city to about the Greystone area. Downtown Cayce, parts of W Cola, Lexington south of 378, and anything east of downtown is excluded from this figure. On the contrary, a 10 mile radius from Augusta Mall includes all parts of Augusta, including the entire downtown (mall to river is 7 miles), Evans, and areas beyond 520, so while yes, Augusta mall may have a higher 10mile radius population, it's location in the middle of Augusta and Columbiana located on the edge skews the number.

Also not to mention that a daytime population around Columbiana is going to always be low considering that most people living there work downtown.

Old 01-12-2014, 10:45 AM

6,830 posts, read 16,574,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColaClemsonFan11 View Post
Again, these numbers do not play an accurate role in portraying our market. A 10 mile radius from Columbiana only includes Irmo, the Lake side of Lexington, and only extends into the city to about the Greystone area. Downtown Cayce, parts of W Cola, Lexington south of 378, and anything east of downtown is excluded from this figure. On the contrary, a 10 mile radius from Augusta Mall includes all parts of Augusta, including the entire downtown (mall to river is 7 miles), Evans, and areas beyond 520, so while yes, Augusta mall may have a higher 10mile radius population, it's location in the middle of Augusta and Columbiana located on the edge skews the number.

Also not to mention that a daytime population around Columbiana is going to always be low considering that most people living there work downtown.
Those are all good points; IF I have a need for something outside the downtown area, I usually go to Sandhills, which is more than 10 miles from my house. With the number of interstates and freeways in the Columbia area, a 15 mile drive is insignificant, time wise. I can get to Sandhills or Columbiana in about 15 minutes or less, outside of rush hour or an off traffic disruption.

Old 01-12-2014, 07:06 PM

3,961 posts, read 11,030,089 times
Quote:
could just be coincidences, but whenever we run into the Harbison area to grab a weekday lunch or run an errand, there can be plenty of people out and about both in the mall or at nearby restaurants. Judging by the traffic jams each am on 26 plenty transit into Cola for work but there still must be a fair amount who work near or in their home locales as well. Just an observation, nothing scientific of course lol

Old 01-12-2014, 08:58 PM

3,200 posts, read 4,615,726 times
Quote:

Good points.....The glaring thing I see is that Columbiana is roughly 820k sq feet which is smaller than Augusta and even Westgate Mall in Spartanburg. GGP is doing a poor job (not even counting the bankruptcy) in bringing this mall up to the level that fits the market.

Also, Richland and Lexington Counties alone are larger than Augusta which is materially distorted when you look at the GGP marketing material. The bottom line is that no metric exists that would challenge why Columbia can not support the same stores found in Greenville, Charleston, etc.....

The Greenville folks are sensitive about Charlotte but, I saw the same retail shortcomings in Charlotte that I see in Columbia. The market was and is there for stores to be located in Charlotte but the retail was not here. The best example is that Whole Foods was in Greenville before Charlotte even though there is no logical reason for that to happen other than suitable sites were not available in Charlotte. The market in Columbia can support these stores and they will come. Unfortunately for GGP and Columbiana, as a result of GGP's ineptness, the stores may locate elsewhere.

Old 01-13-2014, 05:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GSP101 View Post
Good points.....The glaring thing I see is that Columbiana is roughly 820k sq feet which is smaller than Augusta and even Westgate Mall in Spartanburg. GGP is doing a poor job (not even counting the bankruptcy) in bringing this mall up to the level that fits the market.

Also, Richland and Lexington Counties alone are larger than Augusta which is materially distorted when you look at the GGP marketing material. The bottom line is that no metric exists that would challenge why Columbia can not support the same stores found in Greenville, Charleston, etc.....

The Greenville folks are sensitive about Charlotte but, I saw the same retail shortcomings in Charlotte that I see in Columbia. The market was and is there for stores to be located in Charlotte but the retail was not here. The best example is that Whole Foods was in Greenville before Charlotte even though there is no logical reason for that to happen other than suitable sites were not available in Charlotte. The market in Columbia can support these stores and they will come. Unfortunately for GGP and Columbiana, as a result of GGP's ineptness, the stores may locate elsewhere.
I completely agree with this and t really is a shame Columbiana can't get bought by a Simon or something

Old 01-13-2014, 10:15 AM

Location: Augusta, GA ''The fastest rising city in the southeast''
7,510 posts, read 15,121,204 times
Quote:

The 10 mile radius doesn't include either North Augusta or Aiken.. Aiken County is the second largest county in the metro and the city of Aiken is definitely one of the main cities..

The 10 mile radius in Augusta only includes some of Evans and Martinez...

Old 01-13-2014, 10:40 AM

37,897 posts, read 42,015,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nortonguy View Post
The 10 mile radius doesn't include either North Augusta or Aiken.. Aiken County is the second largest county in the metro and the city of Aiken is definitely one of the main cities..

The 10 mile radius in Augusta only includes some of Evans and Martinez...
I think the overall point is that Augusta's mall is more central to the city and metro than Columbiana is to Columbia, so it will naturally have a higher population within a 10-mile radius.

Old 01-13-2014, 11:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
I think the overall point is that Augusta's mall is more central to the city and metro than Columbiana is to Columbia, so it will naturally have a higher population within a 10-mile radius.
Thank you! Thats exactly what I was saying. If Columbiana was where Dutch Square Mall is it would boast a much larger 10 mile radius population, but again, I dont think a 10 mile radius population is an important factor when talking about stores like Apple that will draw from more of a 20 mile radius and when looking at that, Columbiana even with it being located on the Northwestern edge of the metro, will still surpass Augusta Mall's population in that same radius and also still wouldnt take into account a lot of our metro. I think GGP needs to look at redefining the Columbiana Trade Area to include Forest Acres, Shandon, and Garners Ferry. That would not only boost the trade area population and give retailers a more accurate view of the market, but it would also boost HHI with including FA and Shandon. Not sure how Trade Area is determined and if GGP would even have any say so on that but IMO it would really help.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Columbia area