Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Columbia area
 [Register]
Columbia area Columbia - Lexington - Irmo
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-06-2014, 08:45 PM

235 posts, read 405,633 times

Advertisements

I like your enthusiasm. Maybe if you were in charge we'd be a lot further along! Since you do seem to have the ear of those in charge of such matters, perhaps you could give us an update soon about the status of the Greenway on the Columbia side. Thank you
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-06-2014, 08:54 PM

12,918 posts, read 18,765,744 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by daddo61 View Post
I like your enthusiasm. Maybe if you were in charge we'd be a lot further along! Since you do seem to have the ear of those in charge of such matters, perhaps you could give us an update soon about the status of the Greenway on the Columbia side. Thank you
I'll be on the lookout for an update and will inquire if I start feeling betrayed.

Old 06-07-2014, 04:23 PM

1,555 posts, read 1,846,204 times
Do we know if they are bringing back the trolley?

Old 06-09-2014, 02:52 PM

8,242 posts, read 13,364,466 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCSUfan View Post
Do we know if they are bringing back the trolley?

If they do... it should be in partnership with USC and their shuttle system. For example if there is a route from the Vista, Downtown, USC, and Five Points.. It should be a joint venture between the City and USC.. There is no need to have a USC Shuttle, COMET Bus, and separate Trolley running on the same line.. The ridership is not there. Using something like a trolley that serves the same purpose could be useful. The only exception would be if the USC Shuttle is runing up Main Street to pick up students in the AM.. That could be a separate Shuttle anything from the afternoon on to the evening should be picked up by the trolley in order to maximize student returning from classes/heading out to the Vista/Five Points along with tourist etc. With all the new student housing developments many of the owners of these complexes could assist with underwriting the trolley as long as it stops at or near their properties. They could still offer on demand service late at night for those returning from the bars...

Old 07-10-2014, 03:33 PM

The COMET is going high-tech with a pilot app.

COLUMBIA, SC: COMET riders could soon pay fares using mobile app | Local News | The State

Old 07-11-2014, 07:17 AM

91 posts, read 135,898 times
The bus tracking on your mobile phone that they say is coming via TransLoc is perhaps an even better feature.

Old 07-13-2014, 04:09 PM

The COMET is looking at restoring service on all holidays except for Christmas Day and Thanksgiving Day.

COLUMBIA, SC: Midlands bus service could expand to more holidays | Local News | The State

Old 07-17-2014, 10:53 AM

8,242 posts, read 13,364,466 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Columbiadata View Post
The COMET is looking at restoring service on all holidays except for Christmas Day and Thanksgiving Day.

COLUMBIA, SC: Midlands bus service could expand to more holidays | Local News | The State

Are there any express buses during rush hour ? Seems like if they want to diversify their ridership.. There should be some express buses coming in from the NE and NW from several park and ride locations. Still, we southerners dont easily abandon our cars...COMET should borrow a page from Megbus and have wi fi on express/commuter buses...Could be a real boost to ridership

Old 07-17-2014, 11:17 AM

1,555 posts, read 1,846,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodlands View Post
Are there any express buses during rush hour ? Seems like if they want to diversify their ridership.. There should be some express buses coming in from the NE and NW from several park and ride locations. Still, we southerners dont easily abandon our cars...COMET should borrow a page from Megbus and have wi fi on express/commuter buses...Could be a real boost to ridership
I remember them saying they were doing a study or going to do one to see the feasibility of it. I know they started doing flex routes. Also, I don't know if this has started yet or not but increased rotation on high use routes during peak hours.

My idea that I had plans on bringing to them was park and ride at VAS and Harbison. But that also depends on DOT adding HOV or dedicated bus lanes which won't happen on I-20 since they just expanded it.

Old 07-17-2014, 11:27 AM

That bright director has all kinds of tricks up his sleeve. A Free Times article yesterday said the penny sales tax will infuse $300 million into the transit system over the next 21 years.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Columbia area