Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Columbia area
 [Register]
Columbia area Columbia - Lexington - Irmo
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-26-2014, 11:48 AM

119 posts, read 226,673 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCSUfan View Post

That's a dumb statement. It has bank headquarters and lawyers which would have been there anyway. Every national bank has a state HQ.The stores and restaurants are there to get the money of the employees and residents that live there.
It doesn't have much banking, GSP will tell you that. You have to go to Charlotte to be a banker. lol

Conservative pro-business policies are what attract companies to this great state. Any downtown success can only follow the pro-business policies in terms of both corporate support and providing the demand for a vibrant downtown. We musn't ever forget this.

I am now prepared to accept your gratitude on behalf of all conservative REpublicans.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-26-2014, 11:58 AM

1,555 posts, read 1,844,468 times
Well if the Repubs cared about pro-business they'd be attracting more corporate/office jobs and not just industrial. That is why Cola has most of the office jobs for this state anyway. So you can leave and go back to Greenville now.

Old 05-26-2014, 12:01 PM

37,875 posts, read 41,910,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kale7 View Post
Reality is without the college kids, neither 5 points or the vista would be there, it would have a money sink to throw taxpayer money at those two areas without the college kids. lol
That's true to an extent for Five Points, but not the Vista. It doesn't cater to the college crowd nearly as much as Five Points.

Old 05-26-2014, 01:17 PM

Quote:
Well if the Repubs cared about pro-business they'd be attracting more corporate/office jobs and not just industrial. That is why Cola has most of the office jobs for this state anyway. So you can leave and go back to Greenville now.
You have a weird view of world. Republicans are attracting all kinds of business, you can't just attract one type. Industrial employers have office and "corporate" jobs too. The Michelin office in Greenville is a corporate / design engineering office job place. You would call that an industrial. Are Amazon and Monster "industrial jobs"?

The Columbia metro is Republican area, bro, and so is the state a whole. A few Democrats in the inner cities doesn't change that. Any companies we have came here since the south stopped voting Democratic.

I am now willing to forgive your insolence and accept your gratitude. lol

Old 05-26-2014, 01:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
That's true to an extent for Five Points, but not the Vista. It doesn't cater to the college crowd nearly as much as Five Points.
It doesn't matter what it caters to, without the college kid base it would have struggled to get going, especially the bars.

There are more working professionals down there, i agree.

A lot of SC kids might prefer the Vista due to the safety concerns in 5 points.

Last edited by Kale7; 05-26-2014 at 01:31 PM..

Old 05-26-2014, 02:04 PM

37,875 posts, read 41,910,477 times
Quote:
It doesn't matter what it caters to, without the college kid base it would have struggled to get going, especially the bars.

There are more working professionals down there, i agree.

A lot of SC kids might prefer the Vista due to the safety concerns in 5 points.
The Vista didn't rely on a large college student population base to get going, but I agree that it's probably true that local young people probably prefer the Vista over Five Points.

Old 05-26-2014, 02:36 PM

Quote:
You have a weird view of world. Republicans are attracting all kinds of business, you can't just attract one type. Industrial employers have office and "corporate" jobs too. The Michelin office in Greenville is a corporate / design engineering office job place. You would call that an industrial. Are Amazon and Monster "industrial jobs"?

The Columbia metro is Republican area, bro, and so is the state a whole. A few Democrats in the inner cities doesn't change that. Any companies we have came here since the south stopped voting Democratic.

I am now willing to forgive your insolence and accept your gratitude. lol
Amazon and monster is listed under industrial because it's WAREHOUSE space. If it was the 5,000 regional State Farm HQ that's office.

If you ever look at the market reports you would know that.

Old 05-26-2014, 02:43 PM

Quote:
Amazon and monster is listed under industrial because it's WAREHOUSE space. If it was the 5,000 regional State Farm HQ that's office.

If you ever look at the market reports you would know that.
I work, kid. I dont have time to look at market reports. A warehouse facility is going to have some office jobs.

Jobs are jobs. We have insurance companies here and that kind of thing. Most corporate jobs are going to be in the uber big cities. We don't have uber big cities here yet.

But not any company in SC is 100 percent "industrial" jobs. They have corporate / office jobs at any manufacturing facility. You clearly have never worked before.

There are engineering design, architecture, medical, insurance, banking, education, CPA, etc etc jobs in SC. These are office jobs. SC's policies are not prohibiting "office" jobs from coming here. We arent just going after manufacturing firms. We have no control who decides to come here in the end, all we can do is make it a business friendly state and we have.

Old 05-26-2014, 02:52 PM

Quote:
I work, kid. I dont have time to look at market reports. A warehouse facility is going to have some office jobs.

Jobs are jobs. We have insurance companies here and that kind of thing. Most corporate jobs are going to be in the uber big cities. We don't have uber big cities here yet.

But not any company in SC is 100 percent "industrial" jobs. They have corporate / office jobs at any manufacturing facility. You clearly have never worked before.

There are engineering design, architecture, medical, insurance, banking, education, CPA, etc etc jobs in SC. These are office jobs. SC's policies are not prohibiting "office" jobs from coming here. We arent just going after manufacturing firms. We have no control who decides to come here in the end, all we can do is make it a business friendly state and we have.
Charlotte, Atlanta, Austin weren't big when they got all those office jobs that spurred growth.

So I'm hoping that the large office component Hughes has planned comes to fruition.

Old 05-26-2014, 03:00 PM

Quote:
Charlotte, Atlanta, Austin weren't big when they got all those office jobs that spurred growth.

So I'm hoping that the large office component Hughes has planned comes to fruition.
Those cities weren't competing against big cities nearby though as there weren't any. We aren't far from Charlotte or Atlanta so our challenge is different than what they had to deal with. I think Atlanta's big boom was the result of getting the big airport that Birmingham passed on. lol Over time, corporate headquarters will move to the south as the north continues to die off.

I personally don't want tons of office jobs right in the downtown areas. That would kill off the vibe of SC. Why do I care if those kind of jobs go to Charlotte or somewhere else. Long as the jobs exist, that is good enough for me. You can always move to Atlanta or Charlotte for that kind of stuff
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Columbia area