Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Columbia area
 [Register]
Columbia area Columbia - Lexington - Irmo
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-21-2015, 04:37 PM

196 posts, read 212,920 times

Advertisements

By all means, yes, please share any ideas you have.

I will be staying in an AirBnb situation in West Columbia (and will have a rental car).

Can't wait!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-21-2015, 04:49 PM

1,802 posts, read 2,030,690 times
The
Quote:
Originally Posted by ByeByeSanDiego View Post
By all means, yes, please share any ideas you have.

I will be staying in an AirBnb situation in West Columbia (and will have a rental car).

Can't wait!
Go to the Rooftop bar at the top of the Sheraton hotel on Main St. for happy hour and a nice view of the city. Walk down Main to the State House grounds and then over to the historic USC Horseshoe, the heart of the old campus. You could see a movie at the art-house theatre, The Nickleodeon, on Main, too.

Riverbanks Zoo and Botanical Gardens would be beautiful this time of year. Depending on your budget and appetite for adventure, going kayaking on the river with Adventure Carolina Tours or the zip-line course over the river (Zip the Zoo) would be fun.

Since you're moving here, you may enjoy a tour of the South Carolina State Museum. It really is a neat museum with a cool presentation of the state's history. The real draw, though, is the new planetarium and observatory and 4-D theatre. I have not been to it yet, but I hear great things. It is supposed to be truly world class.

Old 04-21-2015, 05:13 PM

My classes will be in DeSaussure College, which is on (I think) the north-end of the horseshoe.

All of your suggestions are great.

Anything involving happy hour, some museum time, planetariums, galleries, art films, good food, and farmers' markets sounds good.

I'll hold off on Kayaking. I used to have my own sea kayak when I lived in the DC area, and hope to do that again, after taking a safety/refresher course.

Old 04-21-2015, 06:34 PM

14,246 posts, read 14,727,364 times
Columbia nicknames:

River City – Cola Town – Soda Town

River City: Located at the confluence of three rivers (the Broad, Saluda, and Congaree).

Cola Town and Soda Town: As Columbia can be abbreviated "Cola," it only follows that "Soda Town" (cola being a type of soda) could emerge as another contender for our capital city's nickname.

I have never heard any of them used except Soda City Farmer's Market and they are stretching it to be cool.

Old 04-21-2015, 06:39 PM

12,891 posts, read 18,744,346 times
Cola > Cola Town > Soda City

That's how Soda City Farmer's Market on Main Street got its name.

Old 04-21-2015, 08:30 PM

14,246 posts, read 14,727,364 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Columbiadata View Post
Cola > Cola Town > Soda City

That's how Soda City Farmer's Market on Main Street got its name.
I get it but it does not work for me. I think it is a reach. Cola Town...Coke City...Pepsi Village.....Royal Cola Town...Royal Town....free association....LOL

Old 04-22-2015, 12:58 AM

I like Soda City! Ive seen it referenced several times in articles.

Old 04-22-2015, 09:07 AM

2,167 posts, read 3,131,841 times
Why aren't you considering the many student oriented complexes near the campus? While they do traditionally house undergrads, anyone is welcome. Those close to campus are a bit more expensive. But those further out are more reasonable and offer shuttles to campus. My son lives at The Oaks which is near the stadium. Definitely NOT walking distance, but he has no problem with the shuttles. He rarely drives his car during the week. For $575/month, he has his own bedroom and bathroom. Plus, the place is nice. With resort style pools and amenities. Riverside is a bit older but closer. Just across the bridge. Not quite as nice but closer and a little cheaper.

Old 04-22-2015, 09:37 AM

678 posts, read 799,468 times
If she is in her 30s or beyond, I just couldn't recommend her living at a place that was mostly students/undergrads, especially with the more mature and chill vibe I get from her posts.It would just feel strange I would think. But hell maybe I'm wrong. For what it's worth, though, I used to live in riverside when it was university commons. It would feel strange living there now as a 34-year-old.

I will say right across the street from riverside is Granby Crossing.

Definitely definitely definitely !!! Look at granby crossing! It's literally right on the riverwalk and all apartments have balconies. And what's more they don't allow guarantors on leases so there are very very few students. It's a very mixed crowed age-wise and the pool is generally pretty social.

The only downside is while it's very close to campus, it's not quite close enough to walk although walking certainly can be done. The walk itself would take about a half hour or so to get to campus if you had to do it but just not quite close enough to be walking-convenient.

Old 04-22-2015, 10:07 AM

2,167 posts, read 3,131,841 times
Didn't realize she was older. If she is 30+, probably wouldn't be a good fit.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Columbia area