Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Columbia area
 [Register]
Columbia area Columbia - Lexington - Irmo
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-13-2015, 08:34 AM

542 posts, read 1,109,815 times

Advertisements

We don't really have to compete with Atlanta and Charlotte, we just have to keep growing and people will start putting Columbia on their radar. Let's face it, people want to move south, and I think the wealth is going to be spread around even more. Despite what some people say on here, there's plenty do in Columbia, and plenty more just two hours in any direction.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-13-2015, 08:37 AM

12,937 posts, read 18,787,237 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bouje2 View Post
This is all amazing. I hope everything in the works gets built. I hate that USC is trying to block the Sandys location development. I will be writing to the president asking him to please step back.
Tell him not to forget the height of Cornell Arms.

Old 06-13-2015, 12:36 PM

6,830 posts, read 16,577,725 times
I looked up some 29-ish story apartment/condo towers on a skyscraper site and found these heights:

4Marq in Minneapolis - 30 stories and 313 feet.

Hilton Convention Center Hotel in Cleveland (hotels have similar floor heights to residential) - 30 stories and 380 feet.

959 1st Ave in NYC (mixed use) - 30 stories = 333 feet.

133 Greenwich St. in NYC (hotel) - 30 stories = 356 feet.

All in all, it looks like this building will likely be the 2nd or 3rd tallest in Columbia; somewhere in height between the Hub (325 feet) and the Capitol Center, with a slight possibility of being taller than Capitol Center, which is 349 feet. It could even be slightly shorter than the Hub, which was built as an office building even though it's residential now. It will almost certainly be taller than IT-ology (prev. Wilbur Smith, B of A, Nationsbank, Bankers Trust), which is 280 feet.

Old 06-13-2015, 01:03 PM

37,896 posts, read 42,015,677 times
Anyway you slice it, it will certainly be a significant addition to the skyline. If crowns, spires, fins, etc. were still in vogue, it would more than likely be a new tallest.

Old 06-15-2015, 07:49 AM

8,252 posts, read 13,382,547 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by waccamatt View Post
This is great news and it will mean the two tallest buildings in South Carolina will be in the same block. I don't consider the manufacturing building in Abbeville as one, any more than I do the smokestack at Lake Murray.

As far as parking is concerned, is it only obvious to me that a couple more parking levels could be added to the garage?

LOL.... I like how they keep throwing that out there that the structure in Abbeville is the tallest in the State.. WHO CARES.. What state wants a industrial structure as the tallest "thing" in the state?....The only exception would a monument like the Washington Monument in DC......

Old 06-15-2015, 07:52 AM

8,252 posts, read 13,382,547 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlestondata View Post
Tell him not to forget the height of Cornell Arms.

He is probably concerned about either the view corridor down through the Vista (obstruction of the horseshoe...or possibly competition from another student housing development....

Old 06-15-2015, 09:31 AM

6,830 posts, read 16,577,725 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodlands View Post
He is probably concerned about either the view corridor down through the Vista (obstruction of the horseshoe...or possibly competition from another student housing development....
Winner, winner, chicken dinner.

Old 06-15-2015, 10:04 AM

127 posts, read 139,119 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodlands View Post
If I remember his letter correctly, Pastides said that USC has never tried to block a student housing project before.

This may actually be a true objection because of the aesthetics of the area. I think USC would like that S. Main St corrider to remain as clear as possible so that the State House isn't obstructed.

Link to the letter

Old 06-15-2015, 12:21 PM

293 posts, read 827,183 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidmc647 View Post
If I remember his letter correctly, Pastides said that USC has never tried to block a student housing project before.

This may actually be a true objection because of the aesthetics of the area. I think USC would like that S. Main St corrider to remain as clear as possible so that the State House isn't obstructed.

Link to the letter
I don't think so. I honestly call b.s. on their true concern here. I can respect them doing what they feel is best for the University but at the end of the day they can't have everything their way. As Columbia grows it will be vertically and i feel that this is a parcel of land that they had envisioned to obtain later and didn't get to in in time. What i took from that letter was "well when we've talked to the city and envisioned a future....blah blah blah...but we didn't get mad at the other developers so we aren't being selfish". The other developers didn't take land close to the core campus is why not...if they did then they would have fought them too. Let's be honest here...the city has given the University a bunch of leeway with the design of their bland building that really don't fit so to me they don't have much room to talk. Everyone knows where the Horseshoe is and it won't take away from it. If the city was concerned about it blocking the State House the review board will bring it up. But as a Columbian born and raised it's times where USC needs to focus on other things and not try to dictate city development not concerning them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Columbia area