Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Columbia area
 [Register]
Columbia area Columbia - Lexington - Irmo
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-24-2019, 06:50 AM

9,576 posts, read 7,349,164 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonofaque86 View Post
It’d be nice if the area had something like Raleigh’s I-540 that runs north of I-440 loop from I-20 northeast (between Pontiac and Elgin) of the city to I-26 northwest.
While I agree that would be a great idea, just looking at Google Maps, Killian is so built up now with developments, there is no way you can put in an interstate bypass, without having to plow through a bunch of them.

I thought there was talk of making another Broad River crossing north of I-20 connecting I-26 to I-77 (Irmo to Blythewood or Killian) but nothing came of it. Now that corridor still has a ton of open land to build such a connection, but like everything else, it comes down to money. Right now the focus in the Columbia metroplex over the next 5-7 years, is going to be the new I-26/I-20/I-126 interchange.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-24-2019, 07:24 AM

611 posts, read 921,676 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cjseliga View Post
While I agree that would be a great idea, just looking at Google Maps, Killian is so built up now with developments, there is no way you can put in an interstate bypass, without having to plow through a bunch of them.

I thought there was talk of making another Broad River crossing north of I-20 connecting I-26 to I-77 (Irmo to Blythewood or Killian) but nothing came of it. Now that corridor still has a ton of open land to build such a connection, but like everything else, it comes down to money. Right now the focus in the Columbia metroplex over the next 5-7 years, is going to be the new I-26/I-20/I-126 interchange.
That Broad River crossing was floated as part of the Carolina Crossroads project but was scratched.

I think it will eventually happen, but will likely be a local arterial road and not an interstate. Would be great to open up development between Blythewood and Harbison.

Old 07-24-2019, 07:51 AM

1,124 posts, read 928,447 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TXGamecock View Post
That Broad River crossing was floated as part of the Carolina Crossroads project but was scratched.

I think it will eventually happen, but will likely be a local arterial road and not an interstate. Would be great to open up development between Blythewood and Harbison.
Well we could make it a bit wider and anticipate for the future. Camden/Elgin>Ridgeway>Chapin outer half loop.

Old 07-24-2019, 08:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gamecock1015 View Post
What is your thoughts on Columbia infrastructure?
See, I may be in the minority, but I’d love for them to find a way to finish 277. But the only way to do that without disturbing the neighborhoods in town completely would be to bury it until just past Rosewood. But that would be entirely too expensive.

Old 07-24-2019, 08:06 AM

Quote:
The thing with Harbison is that it "T's" almost in the middle of the Harbison State Forest. Yes there is a little development across the street, but even if you buy up the dozen or so houses, how to do you cross the state forest? Will the state allow that?

Would have been a wee bit easier if Harbison ended north or south of the forest.

I can see a "super" arterial road, which would be 4 lanes, 2 in each direction, with turning lanes and a wide median and limited lights and maybe have interchanges at SC-215, US-321 and US-21.

Old 07-24-2019, 09:04 AM

1,462 posts, read 2,962,848 times
Quote:
There is plenty of land to go around the development, just further north of it. And an interstate wouldn’t have to go through Harbison forest if the loop is north of it. (If the bridge was around Kennerly and Koon Roads).

I’m just saying, Columbia’s little loop isn’t enough for the future how the city expands to the northeast and northwest. Something larger is going to need to connect the areas. That’s why I was saying a 540 type situation would be great.

Old 07-24-2019, 09:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonofaque86 View Post
There is plenty of land to go around the development, just further north of it. And an interstate wouldn’t have to go through Harbison forest if the loop is north of it. (If the bridge was around Kennerly and Koon Roads).
You would have to put it up near Blythewood and the High School and start it over in Lugoff to get around all of the development, already in place.

Projects like these that are "forward thinking" require the land (ROW) to be set aside decades ago, so when the money becomes available they are able to build such a road without having to spend a ton on eminent domain.

I lived in Arizona (Tucson) from the end of 2001 to the beginning of 2007, and when I visited my relatives in Chandler (Phoenix area), Maricopa County knew exactly where they wanted to put their 101 and 202 loops and already purchased the ROW. They also voted to tax themselves by raising their sales tax to pay for these new freeways.

It was interesting to see a huge ROW, completely barren and empty with enormous housing and retail developments on either side, just waiting for the freeway to be constructed as the money came in from the increased tax. Something like that would probably never happen in South Carolina.

Old 07-24-2019, 02:46 PM

2,133 posts, read 2,277,282 times
Quote:

It made me a little angry that they nixed that plan. To me it was a proactive and cost effective approach. There is little to no nothing in that “gap” north of Columbia. The connectivity would have relieved traffic on I-20 and even the construction would have bee stress free since it would have been a completely new roadway. Land acquisition would have been cake as no one lives in that area except very sparse populations. I hope they do it someday but I’m extremely pessimistic I’ll be alive by the time they actually start on it.

Old 07-24-2019, 03:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrandonCoombes View Post
See, I may be in the minority, but I’d love for them to find a way to finish 277. But the only way to do that without disturbing the neighborhoods in town completely would be to bury it until just past Rosewood. But that would be entirely too expensive.
Heck, I would just take widening NC-277 to 3 lanes in each direction!

Since I-126 is 4 lanes, NC-277 should be at least 3 lanes.

Old 07-24-2019, 03:37 PM

Quote:
Heck, I would just take widening NC-277 to 3 lanes in each direction!

Since I-126 is 4 lanes, NC-277 should be at least 3 lanes.
See, I was thinking if the rail to Charlotte is ever approved, the way I-77 and S.C. 277 are now, it would make just adding it in the middle of both of these highways extremely easy. The tracks that is. But yes, widening it is good too. It backs up a lot during rush hour, while they’re building that bridge north bound they should add another lane just to prep for the future.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Columbia area