Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Columbia area
 [Register]
Columbia area Columbia - Lexington - Irmo
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-02-2008, 08:22 PM

2 posts, read 16,678 times

Advertisements

Hello all. Well I've searched through the forums and found tons of useful information but have a couple questions prior to me moving. I'm stationed in GA now and will be making the move this summer and anything ya'll would be able to help me out with is much appreciative. Like everyone we are looking for a nice neighboorhood and can max out at 150k for a home. I'll be making the commute to Shaw AFB and from what I understand it's approximately 30-40 minutes. My wife is in the medical field and will be looking for a job shortly. No kids but will in the next couple-few years. Any ideas, suggestions, tips or tricks is greatly appreciated. Have a good day.

Dave
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-02-2008, 10:12 PM

10,966 posts, read 21,972,507 times
SE Columbia (29209 Zip) is pretty convenient. Many people stationed at Shaw live there. You could get a real nice home in Willow Tree, Myers Creek, Ashewood, Kingston Ridge to name a few in your price. All are new or newer. As militairy you want to make sure you apply through USAA to get your cash back rebate. If you're a first time buyer let me know because there are some amazing grants available right now.

Last edited by waccamatt; 06-21-2008 at 01:19 PM.. Reason: Crossing the line into advertising.

Old 03-07-2008, 03:41 PM

2 posts, read 16,678 times
Default Thanks

I don't know if this is the proper place to ask but I am curious as to closing cost's. I'll of course be using a VA loan but am curious as to know what I might expect to pay. I understand everything is negotiable. I'll talk to my lender as well but whatever you may be able to preface, I'd appreciate it.

Old 03-07-2008, 06:42 PM

10,966 posts, read 21,972,507 times
Couple of things.

Military-eligible for cash back rebate through USAA Mover's advantage program.
VA Loan-is this your first home and/or your first VA Loan?
Closing Costs-depends on program but you can ballpark them at about 3% for that price. Standard for seller to pay CC here.

Last edited by waccamatt; 06-21-2008 at 01:18 PM.. Reason: Crossing the line into advertising.

Old 03-15-2008, 02:12 AM

39 posts, read 132,483 times
i just purchased a 2100 sq ft home for 160 k brand new build 8 miles from shaw

im stationed in korea right now but did 3 yrs at shaw before i left but chose to come back due to cost of living and location

you couldnt pay me enough to make that long ass drive up 378 every single day

there are alot of nice sub divisions in sumter with very very nice homes and for 150k you can get alot of house with a nice yard. the area has really come along way

but none the less good luck shaw isnt a bad base

Old 03-15-2008, 07:00 PM

3 posts, read 13,141 times
Does this apply to someone that is no longer in the military? He has been out for two years now and I am really confused about the VA loan. Or we still able to apply for a VA loan?

Old 03-15-2008, 07:34 PM

37 posts, read 111,816 times
VA loan is for people has actively serve the military currently or in the past. I just helped a client who is in his late 50's and he served the army when he was in his 20's. VA loan is 100% finance program without any PMI. But if you use VA loan in the past, it will charge you a 3.3% funding fee when you use it again.

Last edited by waccamatt; 06-21-2008 at 01:20 PM.. Reason: Crossing the line into advertising

Old 06-20-2008, 11:38 PM

3 posts, read 11,558 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by airforce backer View Post
i just purchased a 2100 sq ft home for 160 k brand new build 8 miles from shaw

im stationed in korea right now but did 3 yrs at shaw before i left but chose to come back due to cost of living and location

you couldnt pay me enough to make that long ass drive up 378 every single day

there are alot of nice sub divisions in sumter with very very nice homes and for 150k you can get alot of house with a nice yard. the area has really come along way

but none the less good luck shaw isnt a bad base
Air Force Backer - Which subdivision do you live in now? We are PCSing to Shaw in Oct 08 and have a 7-year-old who will be in the second grade by the time we get there! Trying to have everything aligned in a perfect way will be pretty challenging; buying that nice home in the right school district/zone. I hear that they are rezoning the schools right now too. I am asking everybody out there which elementary school for grades 2 and up would you recommend? They also have the Shaw Heights for grades 2-3 and High Hills for grades 4-5 on Shaw AFB. What would you have to say about these schools on base? Somebody told us that you would have to be in district 2 for these schools as well. Also, you can cross-over between school zones and districts?? With the recent rezoning plans would this still be possible? Any information you can give us about the good schools and safe neighboorhoods/subdivisions will be greatly appreciated!!!

Old 06-22-2008, 07:39 AM

843 posts, read 2,746,560 times
Schiller Clan,

I live in the Oakland North neighborhood. I'm about 4 miles from base, and while our mailing address is "Dalzell", it's on the other side of the base from 'Dalzell proper' (off 441/Raccoon Rd). I was worried about schools around here, especially since everyone said District 17 was where it's at and we had no interest of living in a crowded city neighborhood. I have to say, we've been nothing but pleased from our District 2 schools. My daughter went to Oakland Primary for K & 1. It's a newer school, I believe, right across 441 from Shaw. She is 7 and will be going into 2nd this year, putting her in Shaw Heights, which is actually on base. She'll be there for 2nd & 3rd then High Hills for 4th & 5th grades, also on-base. Hillcrest is the middle school for 6th, 7th & 8th and it's located at the intersection of highways 521 & 441, across the way from Thomas Sumter Acadamy.

Oakland Primary was a wonderful school. The teachers were great, the classes were appropriately sized, and there were lots of programs to keep the parents involved. I like that the schools are limited to 2 grades at a time for the first several years, as it keeps the older influences to a minimum (they share the same bus) during their most influential years. I can't protect my daughter from everything and she does come home talking about things she doesn't need to be knowing at that age, but they try. I also like that these next two schools are on-base to keep external influences to a minimum. Even though OPS was great, I was slightly concerned that the theme for their fall festival was 'Gang Awareness'. These are things that kids shouldn't have to worry about at 5, 6 & 7 years of age.

If these things have the potential to be a problem, then I'm glad the school approached the issue. It's just that I grew up in a farming community in nowhere southeastern Ohio where I got to enjoy the innocence of childhood to it's fullest. I hate to think that my daughter is being robbed of that experience because she's already forced to make grown decisions.

Anyway, I don't mean to ramble on. As for the neighborhood we live in, it's mostly military, law enforcement and middle-class. We got an 18 year old house, approximately 1500sqft, 3br, 2ba, 2-car garage, vaulted LR ceiling on nearly an acre of land for 100k. You might be able to find a deal out there if you're looking hard enough but this seems to be average around here for mid-level housing. I liked the convenience to work (I now work in Columbia which is a bummer of a commute) and the quiet neighborhood. One of the biggest/only complaints I have is that most of the houses around us are rentals which means people come & go. My daughter made some friends when we moved here but they were gone within a year or so, and now there are no kids in the immediate area for her to play with.

There are new subdivisions being built around 'Dalzell proper' on the other side of base, off 521, which will put you closer to Sumter. I believe those houses are in the same range as ours - approximately 1250-1400sqft for $100k. You trade off space (houses are closer together) for new construction. The way the neighborhoods are angled on each side of Shaw in relation to the flight line, the jets are usually high enough by time they cross over the houses that they aren't much of a issue.

The other side of Dalzell is pretty much like this side - primarily military - so either side is going to be pretty safe. That side of Dalzell is in the same school system as this side. It's about 6-8 minutes (or more, depending on how far back you live) from the back gate .

I hope some of that can be useful...

Old 07-07-2008, 05:50 AM

39 posts, read 132,483 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Schiller Clan View Post
Air Force Backer - Which subdivision do you live in now? We are PCSing to Shaw in Oct 08 and have a 7-year-old who will be in the second grade by the time we get there! Trying to have everything aligned in a perfect way will be pretty challenging; buying that nice home in the right school district/zone. I hear that they are rezoning the schools right now too. I am asking everybody out there which elementary school for grades 2 and up would you recommend? They also have the Shaw Heights for grades 2-3 and High Hills for grades 4-5 on Shaw AFB. What would you have to say about these schools on base? Somebody told us that you would have to be in district 2 for these schools as well. Also, you can cross-over between school zones and districts?? With the recent rezoning plans would this still be possible? Any information you can give us about the good schools and safe neighboorhoods/subdivisions will be greatly appreciated!!!
sorry this has taken a few days

i live in williamsburg subdivison, its fantastic here everyone is great very freindly lots of military from both sides officer and enlisted. very close to base. My son is 3 and with the ridiculous CDC prices its cheaper to go private school so the next 2 yrs will be thomas sumter or wilson hall. then he will go to shaw heights if im still there. this is my 2nd tour back to shaw just because of the house. but there are some great subdivisions and the area itself isnt as bad as outsiders say it is

cost of living is great
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Columbia area