Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Columbia area
 [Register]
Columbia area Columbia - Lexington - Irmo
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-02-2019, 10:11 AM

8,258 posts, read 13,405,298 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
Forest Acres is a relatively well-to-do intown neighborhood that once had a thriving mall; of course the neighborhood isn't nearly as upscale as SouthPark or Buckhead, but there are scaled-down similarities. At least, they all have very local population based to support good retail but for some reason, RFM wasn't able to keep up.

But I do believe that in general, Columbia was over-malled and most lacked interstate visibility which hastened their demise. Hopefully the bigger spaces in those malls, or the entire structures, can be repurposed into something useful over time. I wonder if VAS would be doing better if it that ballpark would've been built out there.

But yes, high visibility certainly helps a lot. Concord Mills is technically NC's #1 tourist attraction believe it or not but it was pretty much guaranteed to be successful as it was built as a super regional mall as was Mall of Georgia in exurban Atlanta--both are on the busy I-85 corridor. Friendly Center in Greensboro is a newer shopping center not built right off the interstate that is doing well though so it is somewhat bucking the trend.

Yes I meant I-77, thanks for the correction. We will see what happens in those locations but I do think a traditional outlet mall would do well in Columbia--provided the location is ideal.

Yeah RFM has been disappointing. You would have thought it would have done well.. Maybe if they had put a hotel as one of the anchor instead of three department stores and certainly flipped the parking garage to where the mall is and pushed the mall out towards forest drive and beltline.. may have helped..

It is almost like a mini Southpark the way it is situated.. . There is a strong retail market in Forest Acres with Trader Joes. Trenholm Plaza and the new shops located on and next to the old Cardinal Newman Site.. but for some reason RFM couldn't make a go of it even with the higher income areas and University nearby...

I remember when if first opened.. it wasn't even fully leased then.. but it was nicely appointed had all the department stores in place and had a nice food court and movie theatre upstairs.. It became a nice low key place to take your teenage date and walk around but not a hangout like Dutch Square mall parking lot crusing scene or like Columbia Mall center court (Columbia Place) back in the day which were mainly place guys to pick up women or visa versa and to see or be seen. Those places all held their own until Columbiana showed up...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-06-2019, 06:40 PM

56 posts, read 55,779 times
I went to Augusta to visit family and saw imo what blight really is. Seeing this reminded me of how far we’ve come. Things are certainly turning around there nowadays.

Old 04-07-2019, 05:54 AM

1,066 posts, read 2,268,830 times
Where in Augusta?

Old 04-07-2019, 09:28 AM

56 posts, read 55,779 times
Are you asking where are things turning around, or where the blight is?

Old 04-10-2019, 10:25 AM

401 posts, read 381,108 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big_Cat View Post
Yes I agree that the other metros have their fair share of blighted areas. I'm actually from Myrtle Beach, and every time I go back I see something new. I appreciate it more every time I go back there. In Columbia we get exciting when we see a new gas station. The difference between Columbia and other metros is that Columbia is a majority of blighted areas. Just look at the northeast, all of two notch except from maybe Sparkleberry to Sandhills is deserted/abandoned, the town area of Sandhills is deserted, the Summit and other neighborhoods along Clemson are declining fast. Yes, we brag about Main Street, but what do you see when you're on Sumter St. or Assembly? You see old establishments that are abandoned and not kept up. Garners Ferry is a trashy area, and Five Points is disgusting to look at during the day. Same for Broad River, Bush River etc. The Vista and Harbison are the best Columbia has to offer and they aren't anything to brag about. I'm not trying to be a downer, but I've lived here long enough to accept the truth. Columbia is a good place to get a job(in SC), the housing prices are cheap, and we're only X amount hours away from where you really want to be. That's our selling point and the only reason a lot of people are here to be honest. Other than that we kind of stretch ourselves thin trying to sell it for it's beauty.

I never understand why people stay in a place they hate so much. Don't say job, there are jobs everywhere and I'm sure you would be much happier anywhere but Columbia. I don't think the metro would miss you too much either.

Old 04-10-2019, 11:21 AM

333 posts, read 217,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wedge71 View Post
I never understand why people stay in a place they hate so much. Don't say job, there are jobs everywhere and I'm sure you would be much happier anywhere but Columbia. I don't think the metro would miss you too much either.
If having a secure job somewhere while also being close to family isn't a reason then I don't know what is. You love this city, cool, but don't take my opinion personally. I've grown up hearing people say they hate where I'm from, and it never bothered me one bit. Having different opinions and input is what helps things to improve, instead of being stagnant. I never said I hate Columbia so how about you not put words in my mouth and quit being so close-minded. Just because you love something doesn't mean you have to be blind to it's flaws. BTW if you were to move away I'm pretty sure the metro wouldn't even notice even though you are a die-hard Columbian

Old 04-23-2019, 08:14 AM

678 posts, read 801,984 times
Quote:
If having a secure job somewhere while also being close to family isn't a reason then I don't know what is. You love this city, cool, but don't take my opinion personally. I've grown up hearing people say they hate where I'm from, and it never bothered me one bit. Having different opinions and input is what helps things to improve, instead of being stagnant. I never said I hate Columbia so how about you not put words in my mouth and quit being so close-minded. Just because you love something doesn't mean you have to be blind to it's flaws. BTW if you were to move away I'm pretty sure the metro wouldn't even notice even though you are a die-hard Columbian
The only thing I’ll add is I think you have to compare metros with other similarly-sized metros. Columbia sort of gets a bad rap because it’s so close to other great cities like Charlotte (not a peer city due to size) and Charleston. Charleston of course is one of the best, most interesting cities for its (and Columbia’s) size.

But Greenville vs Columbia? Not dramatically different, other than Columbia skewing young due to USC, which some may like and others not so much.

But outside of SC, what other metros of a similar size to Columbia would you rather live in?

I mean within its metro size grouping, I can’t think of many more interesting cities than Columbia to be honest, for me personally, outside of SC, particularly when you take into account cost of living and how close you are to both the mountains and beach. And the food scene keeps improving, and we are growing.

Old 04-23-2019, 02:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bouje2 View Post
The only thing I’ll add is I think you have to compare metros with other similarly-sized metros. Columbia sort of gets a bad rap because it’s so close to other great cities like Charlotte (not a peer city due to size) and Charleston. Charleston of course is one of the best, most interesting cities for its (and Columbia’s) size.

But Greenville vs Columbia? Not dramatically different, other than Columbia skewing young due to USC, which some may like and others not so much.

But outside of SC, what other metros of a similar size to Columbia would you rather live in?

I mean within its metro size grouping, I can’t think of many more interesting cities than Columbia to be honest, for me personally, outside of SC, particularly when you take into account cost of living and how close you are to both the mountains and beach. And the food scene keeps improving, and we are growing.
I think my statements are misconstrued. I'm not saying that I necessarily want to live anywhere else. I'm simply relaying the perception of many people stationed,visiting,studying/working here that I've been in contact with. You pretty much summed up the pros of Columbia in a nutshell that I stated previously.

Pros: Cost of living, proximity to mountains/beach, and potential.

What is is that makes THIS city special/stand out though? Not going to another area like the mountains and beach, but THIS area. Again, I only bring this up because in order to become a greater city you have to lay out it's flaws. But to answer your question, some areas that are similar sized or smaller that could be compared to Columbia in the south would be:

1.Charleston,SC 2.Greenville, SC 3.Greensboro, NC 4.Raleigh,NC 5.Durham,NC 6.Wilmington,NC 7. Savannah,GA 8. Myrtle Beach 9. Asheville, NC etc.

The question is would most NOT from this area find Columbia or those other cities mentioned more desirable?

Old 04-23-2019, 02:19 PM

37,903 posts, read 42,067,307 times
Quote:
I think my statements are misconstrued. I'm not saying that I necessarily want to live anywhere else. I'm simply relaying the perception of many people stationed,visiting,studying/working here that I've been in contact with. You pretty much summed up the pros of Columbia in a nutshell that I stated previously.

Pros: Cost of living, proximity to mountains/beach, and potential.

What is is that makes THIS city special/stand out though? Not going to another area like the mountains and beach, but THIS area. Again, I only bring this up because in order to become a greater city you have to lay out it's flaws. But to answer your question, some areas that are similar sized or smaller that could be compared to Columbia in the south would be:

1.Charleston,SC 2.Greenville, SC 3.Greensboro, NC 4.Raleigh,NC 5.Durham,NC 6.Wilmington,NC 7. Savannah,GA 8. Myrtle Beach 9. Asheville, NC etc.

The question is would most NOT from this area find Columbia or those other cities mentioned more desirable?
"Desirable" is subjective and in the grand scheme of things, most cities have very little that make them special or stand out. And believe it or not, there are similar discussions going on in the subforums of cities that some would think are special or stand out. Even your fave has his/her insecurities.

Old 04-23-2019, 02:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
"Desirable" is subjective and in the grand scheme of things, most cities have very little that make them special or stand out. And believe it or not, there are similar discussions going on in the subforums of cities that some would think are special or stand out. Even your fave has his/her insecurities.
You are 100% correct and you are making my point. It is all subjective. Some people may find Columbia more desirable than Greenville, Charleston, Paris, Atlanta, Charlotte, Miami or wherever. I am just voicing the opinions of those that I know and some common perceptions. That cannot be argued. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Columbia area