Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Columbia area
 [Register]
Columbia area Columbia - Lexington - Irmo
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-23-2019, 11:54 AM

2 posts, read 799 times

Advertisements

New to columbia and will attend governors Carolighting Sunday(Nov 24th). Can anyone please advisea good parking considering I have childrens and would like a nearby spot.
Looking at google, I see some street green meter spots on Assembly street near gervais st. Can i park on these spot for free on Sunday ?
Also, there is a surface pay lot at the corner of gervais and assembly. Is it free o sunday or how much do i pay?

Another nearby spot is lady street garage right after the big tall buillding at the corner of gervais and assembly. How much does it cost to park there? is it safe?

Another embarassing question; Does any of these parkign facilities have restroom options? Again small kid factor.

Please excuse all the dumbness in my first post here and would appreciate some advice.
thanks.
DJ
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-23-2019, 12:22 PM

1,124 posts, read 926,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newcola2019 View Post
New to columbia and will attend governors Carolighting Sunday(Nov 24th). Can anyone please advisea good parking considering I have childrens and would like a nearby spot.
Looking at google, I see some street green meter spots on Assembly street near gervais st. Can i park on these spot for free on Sunday ?
Also, there is a surface pay lot at the corner of gervais and assembly. Is it free o sunday or how much do i pay?

Another nearby spot is lady street garage right after the big tall buillding at the corner of gervais and assembly. How much does it cost to park there? is it safe?

Another embarassing question; Does any of these parkign facilities have restroom options? Again small kid factor.

Please excuse all the dumbness in my first post here and would appreciate some advice.
thanks.
DJ
All metered surface parking is free throughout the city every weekend and weekdays after 6/7. The only time this does not apply is during events, at which time event pricing will be in place. However, this should not be the case for the Carolighting and metered parking should be free as usual. I recommended parking on the South side of the grounds, and walking through them to the North side for the ceremony. As to the question about bathrooms, I’m unsure. I think the Washington Street garage has one. But there should be port-a-potties around the grounds as well, though I know the stigma behind them and believe me I wouldn’t use them myself either.

Old 11-23-2019, 01:15 PM

2 posts, read 799 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrandonCoombes View Post
All metered surface parking is free throughout the city every weekend and weekdays after 6/7. The only time this does not apply is during events, at which time event pricing will be in place. However, this should not be the case for the Carolighting and metered parking should be free as usual. I recommended parking on the South side of the grounds, and walking through them to the North side for the ceremony. As to the question about bathrooms, I’m unsure. I think the Washington Street garage has one. But there should be port-a-potties around the grounds as well, though I know the stigma behind them and believe me I wouldn’t use them myself either.
Thanks a lot for your suggestions. Did you mean assembly street side parking by south side of the grounds?
There are street parking right opposite to state house on the segment of main street but it looks like it will hard to get those. I will try metered parking first. As backup plan, which garage or lots will be safer/convenient? I mentioned two in my post earlier. Any comments on those?

Old 11-23-2019, 05:20 PM

6,830 posts, read 16,566,649 times
Quote:

thanks.
DJ
All metered spots are free on Sunday and in most places on Saturday. If you don't get there early enough for a good spot on the street, try the parking garage on Washington at Assembly, less than 3 blocks from the State House.

Old 11-23-2019, 07:19 PM

1,154 posts, read 957,133 times
Quote:

thanks.
DJ
Park at the state museum and ride the Soda Cap Connector to the Statehouse there's a stop on Assembly Street next to the BBT Tower.

Here's a map

http://catchthecometsc.gov/wp-conten...Aug2019-PQ.pdf

It's easier and less stressful when it comes to don't things in Downtown. A lot less looking for parking and more relaxing and getting to where you need to go

Old 11-23-2019, 07:47 PM

160 posts, read 141,386 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Growingup15 View Post
Park at the state museum and ride the Soda Cap Connector to the Statehouse there's a stop on Assembly Street next to the BBT Tower.

Here's a map

http://catchthecometsc.gov/wp-conten...Aug2019-PQ.pdf

It's easier and less stressful when it comes to don't things in Downtown. A lot less looking for parking and more relaxing and getting to where you need to go
Excellent suggestion!

Old 11-23-2019, 10:06 PM

1,124 posts, read 926,910 times
Quote:
Thanks a lot for your suggestions. Did you mean assembly street side parking by south side of the grounds?
There are street parking right opposite to state house on the segment of main street but it looks like it will hard to get those. I will try metered parking first. As backup plan, which garage or lots will be safer/convenient? I mentioned two in my post earlier. Any comments on those?
South side being near Main and Pendleton Streets.

Old 11-24-2019, 11:10 AM

935 posts, read 1,649,706 times
SenateSt going towards 5pts. and the area

Old 11-25-2019, 06:46 AM

518 posts, read 436,741 times
I wondered why they were closing the street around the Capital yesterday around 5pm. Now I know.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Columbia area