Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Columbia area
 [Register]
Columbia area Columbia - Lexington - Irmo
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-13-2021, 08:29 PM

246 posts, read 201,601 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tylerSC View Post
A good UHF/VHF antenna and adjustable gain amplifier will be the best solution. An amplifier may help with distant channels but you don't want to overpower the strong local channels as that could cause overload and interference. Based upon location you may be able to receive signals from Augusta, Greenville-Spartanburg and Charlotte, as well as Columbia. The Antop 800SBS is a good compact antenna with adjustable amp, but a larger style antenna may be best for fringe reception. And it may be helpful in some areas to add a LTE filter and FM trap, based upon local conditions.

Thanks for all your help. I ordered the Channel Master 7777HD Amplify tonight on Amazon for $89. I'm going to marry that up with my Stellar Labs 8-bay bowtie 20' up in back of my house. That has always been my "sweet spot" for Charlotte. The CM 7777HD amplifies up to 30db which I can attenuate manually (using Radio Shack inline attenuator, the little black box with the knob, I have several) if need be. I also got an RCA rotor to go with it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-14-2021, 02:43 PM

5,162 posts, read 7,362,441 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IM42A View Post
Thanks for all your help. I ordered the Channel Master 7777HD Amplify tonight on Amazon for $89. I'm going to marry that up with my Stellar Labs 8-bay bowtie 20' up in back of my house. That has always been my "sweet spot" for Charlotte. The CM 7777HD amplifies up to 30db which I can attenuate manually (using Radio Shack inline attenuator, the little black box with the knob, I have several) if need be. I also got an RCA rotor to go with it.
The Amplify has an adjustable gain button that allows you to choose between low gain and high gain settings. You can select low gain at 17b or high gain at 30db. The lower gain will probably work best because you don't want to overload from strong local signals nearby, as that will cause interference and loss of reception. But you can try both settings and see what works best. And Channel Master also sells external filters to block FM and LTE interference, which may be helpful, although the Amplify also has these filters built in. But the external LTE filter now blocks all the new cellular signals since the recent FCC repack, so it may be a bit better than the built in filter in the Amplify. And if FM signals are very strong, an additional external filter still may be beneficial. Theses filters should be placed before the preamp.

Also the Stellar Labs 8bay antenna can be improved if you replace the coax cable connecting both side panels of the antenna. It comes connected with RG59 cable, but if you replace it with RG6 cable there is lower signal loss. I think a 3 foot length is what is needed, and Home Depot sells 3 foot RG6 cable, or you can order from Cable Matters brand on Amazon. Or Channel Master also sells 3 foot RG6 cable.

The Amplify is a good choice amplifier and has a low noise figure. And the 8bay is a great antenna for fringe signals on UHF. But are you close enough that it will receive the High VHF signals from Columbia? Which are WIS on RF10 an WOLO on RF channel 7. The Channel Master Stealthtenna 50 is a good small antenna with VHF elements if needed, and it is only $29.

And if you ever decide to test a good compact antenna, the Marathon Plus and Antop 800SBS are excellent performers and the same basic design. They both have a built in preamp, but the Antop offers adjustable gain. They are both an excellent UHF flat panel with an added VHF dipole, and an included indoor stand. The Marathon power supply seems to be better build quality and has updated LTE filtering to the current standard, as well as an FM trap. The Antop passes FM, although it may be amplified separately.

But good luck with the Amplify and the 8bay antenna. That should be an excellent choice, and you can always add extra filters or attenuators as needed.

Old 01-15-2021, 06:41 PM

217 posts, read 240,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nddorman View Post
I live in Sumter and used to be able to receive Florence market but now its impossible. I even upgraded to a good expensive outdoor antenna and amp installed by a professional. The repack made it worse. Anyone else in Sumter area have the same problem? Sumter area is sandwiched between Columbia and Florence.
Im in Dalzell and the same here. Some Cola stations are a chore some days I used to get Myrtle Beach, Florence, and Charleston (on perfect weather days)

Old 01-15-2021, 08:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dalzelldragon View Post
Im in Dalzell and the same here. Some Cola stations are a chore some days I used to get Myrtle Beach, Florence, and Charleston (on perfect weather days)
Since the repack more stations are packed more closely together which could result in adjacent channel interference. Which is where filters or attenuators may be helpful. And in some cases, stations in neighboring markets share the same channel, which also limits reception and coverage area. In the Columbia area, both WZRB and WJZY from Charlotte share the same RF25 broadcast channel. This can cause interference in certain overlapping areas. And the coverage area for WZRB is more limited compared to WJZY which has a strong full power signal from a 2000 foot tower.

Old 02-11-2021, 05:50 PM

Quote:
Since the repack more stations are packed more closely together which could result in adjacent channel interference. Which is where filters or attenuators may be helpful. And in some cases, stations in neighboring markets share the same channel, which also limits reception and coverage area. In the Columbia area, both WZRB and WJZY from Charlotte share the same RF25 broadcast channel. This can cause interference in certain overlapping areas. And the coverage area for WZRB is more limited compared to WJZY which has a strong full power signal from a 2000 foot tower.

I've got the CM amp and the 8-bay installed behind my house (have not grounded it yet, that is on my short list of things to do), and reception on anything but Columbia locals is lackluster. WBTV and WCNC are typically only seen during nighttime hours, and even then, about 50% of the time. I cannot get anything from Augusta except very sporadically, and for some reason, I cannot get WKDC-50 (Daystar LPTV, XMTR near Monticello Road). I am really not interested in WKDC (I am Catholic and prefer Catholic programming such as EWTN), but it's a point of curiosity why I can't get it, when TV Fool indicates it should be in with a strong signal. At our house across the street, elevation about 20 feet lower, oddly enough, I can get WJBF-6 Augusta and WKDC-50 with a simple reflector-type antenna from Lowe's. That antenna is not amplified. Evidently there is some kind of barrier between Augusta and me at the higher elevation, whereas at the lower elevation I may have a straight shot --- the antenna stares straight down the street with no obstacles. Now that I can get WZRB consistently, I've been watching them, they run mainly crime procedurals, and they're pretty good.

Stupid question, to what extent does grounding improve a TV signal? I have my grounding hardware on order from Amazon, should have done that at the outset.

Also, any opinions on Televes antennas (imported from Spain)? I hear they're pretty good.

Old 02-11-2021, 08:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IM42A View Post
I've got the CM amp and the 8-bay installed behind my house (have not grounded it yet, that is on my short list of things to do), and reception on anything but Columbia locals is lackluster. WBTV and WCNC are typically only seen during nighttime hours, and even then, about 50% of the time. I cannot get anything from Augusta except very sporadically, and for some reason, I cannot get WKDC-50 (Daystar LPTV, XMTR near Monticello Road). I am really not interested in WKDC (I am Catholic and prefer Catholic programming such as EWTN), but it's a point of curiosity why I can't get it, when TV Fool indicates it should be in with a strong signal. At our house across the street, elevation about 20 feet lower, oddly enough, I can get WJBF-6 Augusta and WKDC-50 with a simple reflector-type antenna from Lowe's. That antenna is not amplified. Evidently there is some kind of barrier between Augusta and me at the higher elevation, whereas at the lower elevation I may have a straight shot --- the antenna stares straight down the street with no obstacles. Now that I can get WZRB consistently, I've been watching them, they run mainly crime procedurals, and they're pretty good.

Stupid question, to what extent does grounding improve a TV signal? I have my grounding hardware on order from Amazon, should have done that at the outset.

Also, any opinions on Televes antennas (imported from Spain)? I hear they're pretty good.
Televes antennas are well built and have a good design. And they have a built in amplifier with Automatic Gain Control which stabilizes the signals and creates better overall signal balance. That is a key factor if you have a mix of strong and weak signals and helps prevent overload and interference. In some cases you can pull in signals that other preamps may drown out. Right now Solid Signal has the DAT Boss Mix antenna on sale for $85.99 daily deal. It has the built in preamp and triple boom UHF yagi, with VHF dipoles. There is also a longer range version, but it is more expensive. And Lowe's website sells their Ellipse Mix antenna which is a new design. And the Televes external preamps can be ordered from Lowe's and Ness Electronics, but you want the new versions with the black enclosure, not the older version with the yellow color.

Have you tried the CM Amplify on both the low gain and high gain settings? That may make a difference. If the high gain causes overload, push the button for the lower gain with the red light. And be sure your antenna is connected correctly as cables from both sides go into the combiner.

Old 02-11-2021, 10:47 PM

Quote:
Televes antennas are well built and have a good design. And they have a built in amplifier with Automatic Gain Control which stabilizes the signals and creates better overall signal balance. That is a key factor if you have a mix of strong and weak signals and helps prevent overload and interference. In some cases you can pull in signals that other preamps may drown out. Right now Solid Signal has the DAT Boss Mix antenna on sale for $85.99 daily deal. It has the built in preamp and triple boom UHF yagi, with VHF dipoles. There is also a longer range version, but it is more expensive. And Lowe's website sells their Ellipse Mix antenna which is a new design. And the Televes external preamps can be ordered from Lowe's and Ness Electronics, but you want the new versions with the black enclosure, not the older version with the yellow color.

Have you tried the CM Amplify on both the low gain and high gain settings? That may make a difference. If the high gain causes overload, push the button for the lower gain with the red light. And be sure your antenna is connected correctly as cables from both sides go into the combiner.

Thanks for getting back with me so quickly. Actually I am considering a Televes for the home at the lower elevation (both homes are on the side of a ridge, one at the top of the ridge, and the other home across the street and lower elevation), but I have to make sure it's OTARD-compliant (1 meter or less width/length), which unfortunately the DATBoss isn't. I found one Televes antenna that meets these dimensions, name escapes me right now. The antenna is in full view of all passers-by as well as the de facto HOA head when she makes her circuit, so I have to make sure that it is legally protected in case anyone has an objection.

My 8-bay isn't OTARD-compliant, but it is on the back of the higher house, and cannot be seen from the street.

I have tried out both settings but I don't believe I've done it yet with the new mounting for the 8-bay. I was going on the assumption that I need to crank every dB out of the system where Charlotte is concerned. I'll give it a try.

Old 02-12-2021, 10:40 AM

I've always thought the OTARD rules allowed a basic standard antenna. And an 8bay and Televes yagi are standard antennas that I thought were protected. They are not really that large, and there are certainly larger antennas. But if you want a smaller, more discreet antenna then you may want to consider a Clearstream 4V, Clearstream 4MAX, or Antop 800SBS or Marathon Plus antenna. The Clearstream is a strong performer for UHF, and has a dipole for local VHF. Both WBTV and WCNC from Charlotte are UHF, along with WSOC and WCCB. WIS and WOLO from Columbia are VHF. And the Marathon and Antop antennas perform surprisingly well, with a compact UHF flat panel, VHF dipole, and built in amplifier. They also come with an indoor stand.

Old 02-12-2021, 01:43 PM

Quote:
I've always thought the OTARD rules allowed a basic standard antenna. And an 8bay and Televes yagi are standard antennas that I thought were protected. They are not really that large, and there are certainly larger antennas. But if you want a smaller, more discreet antenna then you may want to consider a Clearstream 4V, Clearstream 4MAX, or Antop 800SBS or Marathon Plus antenna. The Clearstream is a strong performer for UHF, and has a dipole for local VHF. Both WBTV and WCNC from Charlotte are UHF, along with WSOC and WCCB. WIS and WOLO from Columbia are VHF. And the Marathon and Antop antennas perform surprisingly well, with a compact UHF flat panel, VHF dipole, and built in amplifier. They also come with an indoor stand.

My reading of OTARD is that the antenna, regardless of what kind of antenna it is (satellite, VHF/UHF, etc.) has to be no longer or wider than one meter (39.37 inches). Both the Stellar Labs 8-bay bowtie UHF and the Televes DATBoss exceed one meter in at least one of their dimensions. There is a smaller Televes that does not exceed that parameter. I also have a corner reflector bowtie yagi (I hope I'm using the right terminology) that far exceeds one meter:

My backyard (which is hidden from the street) is starting to look like the opening credits of the British TV show Coronation Street!

These antennas are absolutely, positively all over the UK --- as you may know, all of their DTV is UHF.

If you were allowed to use any antenna at all under OTARD --- and you may be right, I hope you are, not sure how they'd define "basic" or "standard" --- heck, I'd get the biggest, burliest Winegard antenna I could get (or a Radio Shack LP-210, the absolute king of all antennas, assuming one could ever be found, they've been off the market for 20+ years) with a preamp that would melt holes through steel. But I have a feeling the elders of the neighborhood would have "eyesore" issues... I could always tell them "well, WZRB and WKDC are so temperamental, and they are local stations"...

Old 03-06-2021, 10:16 AM

Quote:
Televes antennas are well built and have a good design. And they have a built in amplifier with Automatic Gain Control which stabilizes the signals and creates better overall signal balance. That is a key factor if you have a mix of strong and weak signals and helps prevent overload and interference. In some cases you can pull in signals that other preamps may drown out. Right now Solid Signal has the DAT Boss Mix antenna on sale for $85.99 daily deal. It has the built in preamp and triple boom UHF yagi, with VHF dipoles. There is also a longer range version, but it is more expensive. And Lowe's website sells their Ellipse Mix antenna which is a new design. .

(tylerSC, I can't figure out how to PM you on this, so I have to send it out in the forum)

Another question here about Televes (or, really, any amplified antenna or mast-mounted pre-amp independent of the antenna itself), hope you don't mind taking the time:

If I have a multi-point home antenna distribution system (i.e., one that runs straight into the house and has 75-ohm jacks in several places), and if I "shoot" the output from the indoor power source back up to the amplified antenna (such as Televes) or to the pre-amp (such as the Channel Master or Winegard pre-amps), will that then "feed" the amplifier in such a way, that it will provide an amplified signal to all of those jacks, not just the one where the indoor power source is located?

I have in mind cutting into the place on the side of the house where the former cable TV coax enters the house, severing it from the cable box, and putting a terminator on it, to which I can attach the coax going to the antenna, using a barrel connector to put the two together. I am pretty sure that the jack in my living room is the "main" connection, and that all the others branch off from it in some way. There is only one coax connection coming into the house --- it splits out into five places in all, and I will have three of those capped off, leaving only the jack in the living room, and another jack in the FROG. Again, assuming that the jack in the living room is the "main" jack, will it also boost the signal going into the FROG? Or will I just have a straight shot from the living room jack, into the splitter, and back out to the antenna? Or are they all co-equal? (I cannot get into the crawl space to see what the splitter looks like.)

Right now, I have a flattened ribbon-style 75-ohm coax that I have placed through a sliding window, and then closed the window (drilling holes is not an option). That gets the signal to the living room TV, but obviously not to the others (I'm using rabbit ears).

Any help you could give me, would be much appreciated.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Columbia area