Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Columbia area
 [Register]
Columbia area Columbia - Lexington - Irmo
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-09-2021, 08:13 PM

5,165 posts, read 7,374,775 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by IM42A View Post
You can't even talk about Roy Rogers and Arby's in the same sentence (though I know you just did ). Arby's can't even begin to touch Roy's.

Shoney's is a restaurant in search of an identity. Time was, their spaghetti with meat sauce and garlic bread was the gold standard. Now they do some kind of baked thing. No thanks. Bob Evans has a similar problem. They don't know what they want to be, and end up being a little bit of everything to everybody. As with Shoney's spaghetti, time was, Bob's breakfast was the gold standard. It may still be.

I wouldn't mind seeing a Big Boy open around here. They were always good. Denny's, prepared right and served timely, is also very good for what it is. My son and I suffered from abysmally slow service the last few times we went to the US 21 Flying J location, and the last time, it was so bad, we walked out without having been able to order --- and were STILL charged for our drinks! I was so put out with them, that I contacted corporate. $20 gift certificates in the mail, as a courtesy, would have been nice, but no. Thankfully that is not your typical Denny's.
Yes Shoney's lost identity when they left Big Boy and has never recovered. No more classic Big Boy burger, and the other menu items have changed. Although they may still have the hot fudge cake and the breakfast bar. But most locations have closed and some suffer quality control issues.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-09-2021, 08:22 PM

And yes, Roy Rogers offers real roast beef sliced fresh, and topped with au jus sauce. Then you can go to the Fixin's Bar and add horseradish, lettuce, tomato or other toppings as desired. Arby's is a processed loaf of mush that is microwaved and masquerades as slices of roast beef stacked on a sandwich. No where near the quality of Roy Rogers. But many under 35 only know of Arby's as the roast beef sandwich restaurant, and are not even familiar with Roy Rogers unless they are from the Mid Atlantic or Northeast and may have heard their parents talk about it.

Hardee's brought back their roast beef sandwich about a year ago, and it does not taste bad but is still not on the level of Roy Rogers. But some Hardee's still serve fried chicken as a holdover from the Roy Rogers merger, but only select franchise locations with the nearest apparently being in Swansea, SC.

Old 03-09-2021, 08:26 PM

Another thought. What about a Culver's for Columbia? They are quite good and known for Butter burgers and custard style ice cream. They have locations in Charlotte and Greenville.

Old 03-10-2021, 06:39 AM

246 posts, read 202,323 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tylerSC View Post
Yes Shoney's lost identity when they left Big Boy and has never recovered. No more classic Big Boy burger, and the other menu items have changed. Although they may still have the hot fudge cake and the breakfast bar. But most locations have closed and some suffer quality control issues.

The HFC was always the bomb (though Rush's does a good job considering it is fast food), and there is nothing quite like the Shoney's breakfast bar. I always liked their salad bar too, especially the cabbage soup, pure poetry in a bowl.

The last time I was at Shoney's, was at Lugoff over a year ago, when I was out there on some business. I had chicken and sides from their dinner buffet. It was OK but nothing especially good. When indoor dining is once again feasible, I wouldn't mind trying their breakfast bar, if they have one. Ditto for Garners Ferry.

If I can get in yet another plug for Jimmy's Mart (Two Notch near Sesqui, truly God's country ), their breakfast is amazing, and very reasonably priced. They bake their bacon, which is possibly the best way to serve bacon. The biscuits, though probably frozen (they taste just like Grands), are excellent. And they give you more gravy than you could possibly eat with one biscuit, I normally have to add an extra one when I get home (Grands in the oven), or save half of the gravy until the next day, depending on how hungry I am that morning.

Old 03-11-2021, 08:21 PM

I wonder if Shake Shack would consider locating in Columbia? They have several locations in Charlotte now and are performing very well. They are good but a bit pricey.

Old 03-12-2021, 09:39 AM

246 posts, read 202,323 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tylerSC View Post
I wonder if Shake Shack would consider locating in Columbia? They have several locations in Charlotte now and are performing very well. They are good but a bit pricey.

Don't know. Columbia can be a quirky demographic. Keep in mind, too, that Columbia is an incredibly sprawling place, Northeast is pretty much its own critter, as is the Harbison/Irmo area. It basically functions as at least four separate cities (and I use "city" in the loose sense to take in urbanized county areas), downtown/Eau Claire, Devine/Garners Ferry, Northeast, and Harbison/Irmo/St Andrews. Forest Drive/Arcadia Lakes are also kind of world unto themselves. Northeast is probably the most "transplant-rich" part of the Columbia area, lots of ex-Northerners, retired military, and two fairly large Catholic parishes, which is probably a pretty good barometer of how prevalent that non-natives are (our family included in this, though we go to St Peter's downtown at the moment, they have also begun offering the Traditional Latin Mass at Our Lady of the Lake in Chapin, which we will attend when our family circumstances allow it).

Old 03-14-2021, 12:03 PM

60 posts, read 86,624 times
Just had The Lost Cajun in Florence ... we need one of those!!!

Old 03-14-2021, 02:11 PM

1,101 posts, read 1,339,442 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IM42A View Post
Don't know. Columbia can be a quirky demographic. Keep in mind, too, that Columbia is an incredibly sprawling place, Northeast is pretty much its own critter, as is the Harbison/Irmo area. It basically functions as at least four separate cities (and I use "city" in the loose sense to take in urbanized county areas), downtown/Eau Claire, Devine/Garners Ferry, Northeast, and Harbison/Irmo/St Andrews. Forest Drive/Arcadia Lakes are also kind of world unto themselves. Northeast is probably the most "transplant-rich" part of the Columbia area, lots of ex-Northerners, retired military, and two fairly large Catholic parishes, which is probably a pretty good barometer of how prevalent that non-natives are (our family included in this, though we go to St Peter's downtown at the moment, they have also begun offering the Traditional Latin Mass at Our Lady of the Lake in Chapin, which we will attend when our family circumstances allow it).
Shake shack could move into one of the open spots in the vista once the Cambria is further along a few months
There will be enough hotel walk by traffic to sustain it

Old 03-14-2021, 03:59 PM

306 posts, read 394,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trevinm View Post
Just had The Lost Cajun in Florence ... we need one of those!!!
There used to be one in Lexington, but it didn’t last long.

Old 05-04-2021, 08:53 PM

2 posts, read 883 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sonofaque86 View Post
1. Wet N Wild
2. Top Golf
3. Apple/Microsoft
If not a Topgolf at least a Drive Shack. It's a Topgolf alternative.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Columbia area