Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Columbia area
 [Register]
Columbia area Columbia - Lexington - Irmo
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-06-2008, 08:26 PM

2 posts, read 7,136 times

Advertisements

I am a recent college graduate who will be working in Sumter, SC. I have read some forums about how the 1) the crime is bad there and 2) the nightlife is nonexistent.

Is it possible to have a social life in Sumter?? And if I was able to move somewhere nearby and commute to Sumter, what would be a better option that is nearby?? From my research I've found that there is really nothing closeby and I don't know if the drive to Columbia every day would be worth it. And is the crime really that bad?? What parts should I avoid when finding an apartment in Sumter?? Any opinions would be very welcomed!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-06-2008, 09:24 PM

6,830 posts, read 16,557,106 times
Sumter is a small city; there isn't going to be a tremendous amount of nightlife, but what there is, would probably be close to Shaw AFB. Columbia is only a 45 minute drive away if you needed more options. There are some high crime areas in Sumter, but there are plenty of good areas, too. I know several people from Sumter and it isn't a bad town at all, buta small city is going to have some entertainment limitations.

Old 05-07-2008, 10:22 AM

1,048 posts, read 2,387,181 times
Sumter has a pretty high violent crime rate, on a per capita basis. As waccamatt said, there are good and bad areas, but the bad areas are pretty self evident (run down homes, trash in the yard, etc).

The bad thing about living in Columbia and working in Sumter is that you'll be driving into the sun both ways. I did this for two years. On the flip side, you'll be driving in light traffic.

Old 05-07-2008, 02:32 PM

7,330 posts, read 15,380,121 times
Being from Sumter, I can safely say that while I often defend it on these boards, I'm glad I don't live there now. For anyone who's over 18, but not yet married with kids, it's sort of a tough place to have a social life.

Most people I know left town after HS (whether for college or the military or just to get out of Dodge) and a few have moved back after getting married and buying homes and all that jazz.

Columbia's a much better place to be young, in my opinion.

As for the crime, it's really not as bad as everyone makes it seem. It's generally limited to certain areas, and usually committed between people that know one another.

Most of my family still lives in Sumter and (knock on wood!) no one I know well has ever really been the victim of violent crime. Or any serious crime for that matter. I can't think of much serious property crime, either.

Most of the crime, again, occurs between people that know each other, I'd say. You won't know anyone, really. That's the double-edged sword of Sumter. It might keep you safe. It might keep you lonely, too.

Old 05-08-2008, 05:04 PM

2 posts, read 7,136 times
Well thank you this is all very helpful, but the next thing is, where in Columbia? I've been looking and it seems like apartments around Garner Ferry Road and Forest Acres are feasible in terms of distance, but I've read reviews that alert me in terms of safety..Are those bad areas?? Hampton Greene seemed really nice but reviews said gangs are in the neighborhood and a resident was held at gunpoint. Also, is anyone aware of any possible apartments around that area that are safe, or any other area that would be only about 40 miles from Sumter? Since I'm coming from Ohio and must move in the day that I come, I'm pretty clueless. Thanks again!

Old 05-08-2008, 07:18 PM

6,830 posts, read 16,557,106 times
Forest Acres is a very safe area. I'm not familiar with the Hampton Greene Apartments so I can't comment. The East Columbia/Garner's Ferry Rd/Sumter Highway area is generally safe, but there are a few pockets that aren't so nice.

Old 05-08-2008, 08:21 PM

1,172 posts, read 2,530,656 times
I lived in Sumter for a couple of years when I first came to SC. It's quite a nice medium sized town. It's not somewhere where I would want to live for ever, but it has some very nice areas. It also has some bad pockets - I never went there - so it really never affected me!! There are a lot of chain restaurants, and quite a lot of nice apartments. There is a big hospital. Not too much shopping. I certainly wouldn't bother to drive back-and-forth to Columbia with gas the price it is, and it's a boring drive. It's 4 lane, but there are a lot of speeding tickets given out on that road. With the base there, which is a fighter jet base, there are a lot of young people around. I think living in Columbia would be a mistake right off the bat. Give Sumter a try.

Old 05-08-2008, 11:01 PM

7,330 posts, read 15,380,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nausikaa View Post
I lived in Sumter for a couple of years when I first came to SC. It's quite a nice medium sized town. It's not somewhere where I would want to live for ever, but it has some very nice areas. It also has some bad pockets - I never went there - so it really never affected me!! There are a lot of chain restaurants, and quite a lot of nice apartments. There is a big hospital. Not too much shopping. I certainly wouldn't bother to drive back-and-forth to Columbia with gas the price it is, and it's a boring drive. It's 4 lane, but there are a lot of speeding tickets given out on that road. With the base there, which is a fighter jet base, there are a lot of young people around. I think living in Columbia would be a mistake right off the bat. Give Sumter a try.
Not a terrible idea. If you can find a place in Sumter with a short lease or month-to-month rent, you could always start there, and then figure out what you want to do.

Old 05-11-2008, 11:22 PM

11 posts, read 35,025 times
An apt in the NE area of Columbia would be ideal, easy access to HWY that goes directly to Sumter and avoids the downtown Columbia traffic and much of the Sumter traffic, quick access to downtown Columbia, Five Points, or the Village at Sandhill.

Old 09-04-2008, 01:03 PM

14 posts, read 33,502 times
I believe every town will have the violence, but we still have to live somewhere. I like it here is Sumter SC and have never had a problem. We are growing and as the tax base grows we will get more protection around town. Many of the bad areas are patrolled more and we have a really good Police Chief. Problem is that this is still a small town and when something happens, it only takes a few minutes to be heard all over.

Come give Sumter SC a try, you just might like it.

Last edited by Bob Cosby; 09-04-2008 at 01:04 PM.. Reason: Strange characters showing up
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Columbia area