Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Columbia area
 [Register]
Columbia area Columbia - Lexington - Irmo
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-28-2009, 10:06 AM

970 posts, read 2,952,955 times

Advertisements

Since when did political ideaologies make a place great to live in or not?

I truly pity people who wrap themselved up in all things political. What miserable creatures they must be...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-28-2009, 11:36 AM

1,859 posts, read 5,030,247 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceezer View Post
Not too far from it. Charleston-N.Charleston is the 21st most dangerous metro in the US (as of 2008). Sumter is 5th. Certainly some of that is spillover to/from Cola.

http://os.cqpress.com/citycrime/Metr...8_Rank_Rev.pdf
Ceezer, the list I was referring to was Forbes most dangerous cities released last week; Charlotte came in 14th while Charleston was 8th. Thanks for passing along that link though, although, I looked through it 3 or 4 times and could not find Columbia on there? Am I missing it or is there a reason why it's not included?

In Pictures: America's Most Dangerous Cities - Forbes.com

Old 04-28-2009, 07:16 PM

6,830 posts, read 16,574,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gaflsc View Post
Since when did political ideaologies make a place great to live in or not?

I truly pity people who wrap themselved up in all things political. What miserable creatures they must be...
Just because you don't find politics to be important doesn't mean that others share your view. I find the political leanings of an area to be very important to the quality of life. Many places have few services because of the politics of the area - little fire protection, little police protection, no garbage pickup, little support of the arts, etc.

Old 04-29-2009, 06:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by waccamatt View Post
Just because you don't find politics to be important doesn't mean that others share your view. I find the political leanings of an area to be very important to the quality of life. Many places have few services because of the politics of the area - little fire protection, little police protection, no garbage pickup, little support of the arts, etc.

I think that's stretching it a bit. What I'm specifically referring to are folks who don't want to live in an area, simply because a significant portion of the population has different political leanings.

During the time I stayed in Greenville, I couldn't help but notice how the area was a bit too conservative for my tastes, but I loved the area & enjoyed it to its fullest.

Old 04-29-2009, 07:27 AM

5,593 posts, read 15,392,503 times
Quote:
Are you speaking about the general existence of politics in a city, or a specific political majority? Obviously the exisitence of politics does help to dictate those things, but a particular political view - whether liberal, conservative, or otherwise - is mostly irrelavant to those quality of life amenities. I say this because you can find an equal amount of these things in both "liberal" and "conservative" areas.

Example: You often denounce the Greenville area as being "too conservative," yet it has great fire and police protection, great garbage service (recycling is high on the agenda), and is well known far and wide as a city in love with the Arts. Knowing that you love Columbia and claim to be politically liberal, I would question whether "political leaning" has much to do with quality of life for most people. Perhaps it does to many, but politically different areas do have equivalent quality of life.

Old 04-29-2009, 10:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyliner View Post

Example: You often denounce the Greenville area as being "too conservative," yet it has great fire and police protection, great garbage service (recycling is high on the agenda), and is well known far and wide as a city in love with the Arts. Knowing that you love Columbia and claim to be politically liberal, I would question whether "political leaning" has much to do with quality of life for most people. Perhaps it does to many, but politically different areas do have equivalent quality of life.
Well said. Rep point for you.

Old 04-29-2009, 06:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gaflsc View Post
I think that's stretching it a bit. What I'm specifically referring to are folks who don't want to live in an area, simply because a significant portion of the population has different political leanings.

During the time I stayed in Greenville, I couldn't help but notice how the area was a bit too conservative for my tastes, but I loved the area & enjoyed it to its fullest.
That's the nice thing about a free country is that you can live where you want. I frankly wouldn't want to live in an area that is extremely conservative and I'm sure there are others that feel the same way in the other direction.

Old 04-29-2009, 06:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyliner View Post
Are you speaking about the general existence of politics in a city, or a specific political majority? Obviously the exisitence of politics does help to dictate those things, but a particular political view - whether liberal, conservative, or otherwise - is mostly irrelavant to those quality of life amenities. I say this because you can find an equal amount of these things in both "liberal" and "conservative" areas.

I'm speaking of politics of a large majority of the people; anywhere you live there are going to be various viewpoints, which is great, but I'd rather not live where the vast majority of the people are extremely conservative. Those items were examples of how the politics of an area affect the life, not necessarily all of the reasons why I choose to live in a particular area. It is true I don't like the politics of the Greenville area. Perhaps the Greenville area's homophobic politics have a lot to do with why I don't like the area.

Last edited by waccamatt; 04-29-2009 at 06:20 PM..

Old 04-30-2009, 05:27 AM

7,993 posts, read 12,870,957 times
Quote:
It is true I don't like the politics of the Greenville area. Perhaps the Greenville area's homophobic politics have a lot to do with why I don't like the area.
Must be tough to carry such a large chip all the time.

As half of a gay couple, we absolutely love Greenville and have excelled in Greenville. We have had fewer "homophobic" (to use your word) encounters in Greenville than we did during our years in Atlanta, Dallas or Pittsburgh. Haven't found the "homphobic" attitude in Greenville that you rail against. I did find that "homophobic" attitude on one of my first (and last) visits to "liberal" Columbia.

Old 04-30-2009, 07:03 AM

...snap
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Columbia area