Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Columbia area
 [Register]
Columbia area Columbia - Lexington - Irmo
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-09-2008, 07:54 AM

3 posts, read 8,499 times

Advertisements

I'm hoping to come out to Columbia soon and would like some advice on hotes that have a good location where I can use public transportation or walk to places. I've never been to Columbia, so any advice you can give me would be great. I would like to keep it reasonable, I won't need anything fancy but want to be in a safe area.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-09-2008, 01:00 PM

6,830 posts, read 16,574,477 times
The Hampton Inn and the Hilton are right in the heart of the Vista area downtown. For a slightly less expensive place there is a Comfort Suites in the Vista, but it isn't quite as centrally located as the other two.

Old 11-09-2008, 06:32 PM

658 posts, read 1,895,005 times
it really depends on what you want to walk around and do. The Adams Mark on Main isn't cheap but well located for Main St. Clarion Townhouse on Gervais, not too cheap, but well located for the business school campus side of USC. Then, there is what used to be a Holiday Inn on the corner of Blossom and Assembly (adams mark now?) that is well located for the science side of campus and the coliseum. I don't think you will find a 'cheap' hotel in the downtown/vista/five points area. Just make sure you aren't coming to Columbia on a home football game..if you are make sure you hurry up and make reservations, but it will be a fun weekend if it is during a football game.

Old 11-09-2008, 06:37 PM

6,830 posts, read 16,574,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mettler View Post
it really depends on what you want to walk around and do. The Adams Mark on Main isn't cheap but well located for Main St. Clarion Townhouse on Gervais, not too cheap, but well located for the business school campus side of USC. Then, there is what used to be a Holiday Inn on the corner of Blossom and Assembly (adams mark now?) that is well located for the science side of campus and the coliseum. I don't think you will find a 'cheap' hotel in the downtown/vista/five points area. Just make sure you aren't coming to Columbia on a home football game..if you are make sure you hurry up and make reservations, but it will be a fun weekend if it is during a football game.
The former Adam's Mark (Main at Hampton) is now a Marriott Hotel. The former Holiday Inn on Assembly at Blossom has been renovated and is now a Courtyard Marriott. The former Palmetto Building on Main at Washington is now a boutique Sheraton Hotel (and very chic, I might add). All of those are in relatively walkable areas too. They won't have to worry about any more football weekends this fall as USC'S last 2 games are on the road.

The only "cheap" motel/hotel in downtown Columbia is the Rodeway Inn on Main at Lady, but I wouldn't recommend staying there - its heyday is well past.

Old 11-09-2008, 07:32 PM

549 posts, read 1,742,107 times
I'd stay at the Inn at USC.

Old 11-10-2008, 09:48 AM

658 posts, read 1,895,005 times
also, Claussin's(sp) in Five Points - that ain't cheap neither.

Old 11-11-2008, 08:12 AM

543 posts, read 2,364,989 times
DO NOT stay at Motel 6. The staff is friendly but the rooms are terrible and it is very noisy there.

Old 08-16-2012, 07:17 AM

12,937 posts, read 18,787,237 times
The State newspaper is reporting today that Columbia will get the state's first Wyndham Hotel when The Inn at USC becomes The Inn at USC-Wyndham Garden. It's in a good walking area and is pretty much in the heart of things. I know this thread is from 2008, but I didn't want to start a new one for this news brief.

Old 08-16-2012, 10:37 AM

611 posts, read 921,761 times
That's surprising. I thought that part of USC's deal with all the local hoteliers when they proposed the Inn was that it couldn't be "flagged" as part of a national chain.

Old 09-05-2012, 02:55 PM

12 posts, read 14,826 times
At walking distance from everything, I would still stay at the Hampton Inn Columbia Downtown...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Columbia area