Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Columbia area
 [Register]
Columbia area Columbia - Lexington - Irmo
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-09-2008, 07:38 PM

3 posts, read 8,495 times

Advertisements

I might be relocating to Columbia and I would like to know if it is possible to live there without a car. I'm willing to pay more in rent for a decent area close to downtown so I can be close to the buses and I would like a nice area to walk around in. I would appreciate any opinions on this from people who already live there. I haven't been to Columbia before, so it will quite an experience!

I'm a single female in my early 40's so I would prefer not to live in a place with all college kids. I am planning on looking for an apartment to rent for the first year. Please feel free to tell me which neighborhoods I should/should not look in. Safety is very important to me. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-09-2008, 10:45 PM

6,830 posts, read 16,563,706 times
It wouldn't be preferable, but it would be possible if you lived and worked in the downtown area. Both Five Points and the Vista have shopping, including grocery shopping, close to apartments and condos so it would be possible to live without a car. The bus system does not run extremely late or run a full schedule on weekends, but they would be available during most work hours and if you live within walking distance of most of what you need it could be done. Both the Vista and Five Points are generally safe areas. The Shandon area, which is close to Five Points, is also a possibility.

Old 11-10-2008, 05:09 AM

843 posts, read 2,747,358 times
What about in NE Cola? There's that big development area (I forget the name) up there by Clemson/Hard Scrabble. Surely the buses stop in there. And if you wanted to walk/ride a bike somewhere then she'd have Sandhills, Hard Scrabble & Killian, etc. She could probably also get to Lake Carolina fairly easily.

Pontiac might be a slightly cheaper option. Do the buses run through here? I always thought that was a nice area and considered trying to get in before the cost of living there shot up.

Asian Diva, do you need to live downtown for employment purposes or were you just thinking that would be the most likely area to not need a car in?

Old 11-10-2008, 05:53 AM

1,859 posts, read 5,027,186 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceezer View Post
What about in NE Cola? There's that big development area (I forget the name) up there by Clemson/Hard Scrabble. Surely the buses stop in there. And if you wanted to walk/ride a bike somewhere then she'd have Sandhills, Hard Scrabble & Killian, etc. She could probably also get to Lake Carolina fairly easily.

Pontiac might be a slightly cheaper option. Do the buses run through here? I always thought that was a nice area and considered trying to get in before the cost of living there shot up.

Asian Diva, do you need to live downtown for employment purposes or were you just thinking that would be the most likely area to not need a car in?
You're thinking of the Summit. The farthest the buses go is to the Sandhills, and I believe they only travel along US-1/Two Notch to get there from the Columbia Mall. So while it's possible - it wouldn't be fun to dodge all the cars on Hardscrabble, Clemson, Brickyard, etc. to catch the bus.

Old 11-10-2008, 07:10 AM

10,965 posts, read 21,983,290 times
I think it would be difficult the way Columbia is set up. You'd be better off downtown than anywhere.

Old 11-10-2008, 08:09 AM

3 posts, read 8,495 times
I was thinking of downtown because I would like to be in the most walkable area and I looked at the bus map to see where all the routes connected. I like being in the more urban areas, I looked at the commute to work and it shouldn't be an issue since it's close to downtown also. I figured on the weekends I can get out and explore where the busses will allow me to when I want.

Old 11-10-2008, 11:14 AM

435 posts, read 1,530,253 times
Default Only a few in-town neighborhoods are transit-friendly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceezer View Post

Let me make this quick and simple:

NE Cola = You need a car. And I'm speaking as someone who is very pro-public transportation.

The only neighborhoods in the Midlands with even a scintilla of transit-friendliness (at least to the point of being able to avoid having a car) are all in or near the downtown core.

Old 11-10-2008, 06:50 PM

843 posts, read 2,747,358 times
Ok, I didn't know, that's why I tossed up the question mark(s). I live in Sumter and drive to NE Cola every day, so I'm not familiar with the local bus routes.

Old 11-12-2008, 09:09 AM

1,048 posts, read 2,388,011 times
Possible if you live/work downtown. Highly improbable otherwise unless you are hard over about not having a car and willing to make a lot of sacrifices.

Old 11-12-2008, 09:27 AM

22 posts, read 70,903 times
Downtown yes. On the Northeast side, it would not be in your best interest.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Columbia area