Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Columbia area
 [Register]
Columbia area Columbia - Lexington - Irmo
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-13-2009, 01:38 PM

15 posts, read 48,754 times

Advertisements

i've lived in columbia for almost 7 years. i've lived in bigger cities (indy) and smaller ones (fayetteville, NC). columbia's not bad at all. the people are friendly, the weather is great if you like hot weather, i think there's a lot to do. with national parks, 3 rivers and lots of outdoor space, it's really great if you like the outdoors. shopping is not bad. college towns always have a nice vibe -- when the students are in town. by the end of may, downtown does get a little ghost-town-y. but there's plenty of young professionals here and plenty of single people or young married couples. and tons of great restaurants. there's very little traffic in columbia, IMHO. people who think we have bad traffic have never been to big cities. and of course, one of the best things about columbia -- it is SUPER cheap! woo hoo! the population has increased a lot in the few years i've been here, so we are getting a lot of variety as far as neighborhoods, new stores and new people are concerned. so far, so good.

now, i'm not going to lie, after 6 years i feel like i've "been there, done that". i feel like i've done everything there is to do here. the population is really only about 50k. so not exactly a metropolis. which is why i'm moving soon. but would i be upset to come back to columbia? not at all. i'm just young and ready for a new adventure. no biggie. i'm not even selling my house -- just in case!

most of the people here are native SCs. EVERYONE is obsessed with SEC/ACC football. everyone goes to church and if you don't, plenty of peeps will ask you to join theirs. everyone is VERY friendly and they love to feed you. overall, i give columbia an A-.

if you want to know where to live, let me know. i can tell you everything you need to know.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-13-2009, 01:39 PM

15 posts, read 48,754 times
p.s. i've never heard a single good thing about jax.

Old 02-13-2009, 02:06 PM

1,859 posts, read 5,030,247 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VBSC View Post

now, i'm not going to lie, after 6 years i feel like i've "been there, done that". i feel like i've done everything there is to do here. the population is really only about 50k. so not exactly a metropolis. which is why i'm moving soon. but would i be upset to come back to columbia? not at all. i'm just young and ready for a new adventure. no biggie. i'm not even selling my house -- just in case!
Columbia's a little bigger than 50k - not sure who told you that or why you think that. The city itself is 120k, and the metropolitan area is over 700k.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Columbia area