Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Columbia area
 [Register]
Columbia area Columbia - Lexington - Irmo
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-11-2009, 09:10 PM

Location: American People's Democratic Capitalist Republic of South Carolina
176 posts, read 454,423 times

Advertisements

Last month (last year) when SCE&G were changing to digital power meters, my electric bill became more than double than last year's. I suspect that during the change they might have rolled the meter up to make up for the cost of the replacement (change). So we were the ones to pay for the switch from mechanical to digital power meters? Otherwise I can't explain such a steep increase in my electric bill as my usage of electricity was usual last month and the outside temperatures were not much lower than last several years'. Did you notice that as well? And now with those new digital meters SCE&G can roll up as many KWh as they want? Or am I being too suspicious (for lack of a better word)?

The next month (last bill) again is much lower than the "digital change" one although I haven't used less energy. Perhaps it was even colder than the previous month. Still, even this last bill is much higher than last year's. I'm talking about almost double.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-13-2009, 07:07 AM

168 posts, read 694,948 times
Shhh, quiet the black helicopters might hear you!

On my SCE&G bill, they print the average temps for the month compared to the previous year. I live in Lexington and my January bill was the highest bill I've ever had and the first time it's been over $200. Don't forget that we had lots of cold nights in January, remember when it got down to 8 degrees?

If I were in your shoes, I would call SCE&G and talk to them about the new meter. Maybe they will send someone out to check and make sure it's working properly.

Old 05-10-2009, 01:49 PM

5 posts, read 12,356 times
They make the consumer eat the cost of replacements and overhauls...The way that we will eat the cost of the nuclear facilities they will build.

Old 05-10-2009, 09:07 PM

10,965 posts, read 21,993,410 times
My Jan. bill was ridiculous as well. I guess that explains it.

Old 05-11-2009, 12:53 PM

7,331 posts, read 15,393,049 times
Does your bill not break down the charges per kwh? Or otherwise itemize the charges?

Old 05-11-2009, 02:33 PM

10,965 posts, read 21,993,410 times
It does but I usually just complain about the expense and send in a check.

Old 01-16-2013, 10:42 AM

1 posts, read 2,039 times
Cool Electric bill going up and doing nothing different...

I just wanted to get it out there that it is a true fact that the consumer pays a percentage % of city and town usage as well as their own electric. Did you think your Electric Company was out of pocket for all those fancy lights on the poles for Christmas? eh, no. Do you have a street light near your house? Do you have a security light near your house? ....NO Im not saying ON your property Im saying NEAR your house... yeah, your paying for that too. YES Im serious. Check your bill. They usually run around $10.00 to $30.00 a month EACH. Heh, did you really think your Electric Company was going to come out of pocket for that? ....but thats what taxes are for right? eh, no. I know this bc I have TWO that I did not ask for and THEY WONT TURN THEM OFF!! ....however, they did refund my money when they got BUSTED and arent suppose to charge me anymore... pft, I need a BB gun.... ....oh yes I will!

Old 10-08-2013, 11:44 AM

48 posts, read 79,371 times
Check this post out:

//www.city-data.com/forum/31724971-post12.html

Smart Meter SCAM by PG&E:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=csvmw...eature=related

Last edited by HeavenlySkies; 10-08-2013 at 12:09 PM.. Reason: correct the URL
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Columbia area