Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Columbia area
 [Register]
Columbia area Columbia - Lexington - Irmo
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-29-2009, 04:05 AM

672 posts, read 2,115,344 times

Advertisements

Any opinions on living in Santee, Manning or Summerton? What's the crime like?

I am just starting to look at rural properties but may consider living in town.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-29-2009, 02:36 PM

22,768 posts, read 30,758,981 times
Statistically... crime should be fairly high.

I don't know that the statistics give an accurate picture, with such a small population, and a high proportion of domestic crime. I think it is a safe area.

Opinions? The lake is fun. If you like to hunt, fish, play golf, grow things, or be involved with the church, then you oughta stay entertained. If you're a city person, or if you place a lot of value on people, places, and events being "sophisticated", you will probably not like it.

Stop by the Summerton Diner when you're there, btw.

Old 05-06-2009, 09:53 PM

9,519 posts, read 14,761,648 times
Default Santee and Manning

I've visited both,never lived there.My family has roots in Manning-my GGF had a farm about where Manning High school is now. Walter Winchell called Manning "the prettiest small town in America". He must not have gotten out of NYC very often. Manning DOES have a cute downtown and the historical society has a librarian who's a killer genealogist. Everyone in town was all huhu over a supermarket purse snatching and just lately I think I read there had been a killing there (the Orangeburg Times& Democrat is online and has a lot of local color plus crime reports) but overall I imagine its pretty safe. Santee is a whole nother bag. It's a freeway town with lots of transients passing through committing crimes of opportunity then driving on. There's no THERE there- just a lot of motels and every fast food and chain restaurant in creation. (We love Clark's and their restaurant -NOT a chain.) The stretch between Santee and Orangeburg has lots of possibilities but I sure don't see much to recommend in Santee itself. Have you visited? I agree with everything Rubber said. Let us know where you end up,please!. I'm really interested in the area. Don't know Summerton at all. Best,
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Columbia area