Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Columbia area
 [Register]
Columbia area Columbia - Lexington - Irmo
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-05-2009, 07:58 AM

10 posts, read 28,667 times

Advertisements

Greetings,

I've posted on here a few times, regarding Pitt Law v. USC Law, and I've finally decided on USC. I'll be driving to Columbia this Friday to visit the school, and I hope to look for housing on Saturday.

Will someone be so kind as to provide suggestions for housing? I'm looking for somewhere nearby the law school (walking/biking distance) and with a fenced-in yard for my border collie. My budget will be $800-1000 and I'd like to be in a lively part of town (nearby restaurants, bars) but still far enough from the UG campus so I can get some studying done.

Any ideas? If the locations near campus are decrepit and noisy, I'd be fine with a commute.

Thanks a bunch guys!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-05-2009, 08:49 AM

658 posts, read 1,898,158 times
I would look into Shandon and Rosewood..both of which are pretty close to the Law School..Rosewood is a little further away. Also, the neighborhood across harden st from Shandon might work.

Old 05-05-2009, 08:58 AM

Awesome, thanks for the advice! Do you have any experience with the Woodlands condos and flats? I'm considering there, but I'd really like a yard for my dog.

Old 05-05-2009, 05:12 PM

6,830 posts, read 16,612,276 times
Within walking distance of the law school I would check out Wilshire House, Vista Lofts, Vista Commons, the under construction Aspyre, the Olympia and Granby Mills and Cornell Arms. They are all very close. If you don't want to be in a complex/highrise then look in Shandon and Rosewood where you could rent a house, duplex or quadruplex.

Old 05-05-2009, 05:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulmarTLS View Post
Awesome, thanks for the advice! Do you have any experience with the Woodlands condos and flats? I'm considering there, but I'd really like a yard for my dog.
Woodlands isn't very close to the main campus - it's close to the medical school.

Old 05-06-2009, 07:12 AM

@ Mett and Matt: Thanks for all the info and advice. I'm thinking I'd want to stay away from apartments and high rises because of the dog, so I guess I'll be looking in the areas you, two, suggested.

@ Matt: Thanks for all the pictures of Columbia. Are they pretty recent?

Old 05-06-2009, 08:07 AM

658 posts, read 1,898,158 times
you can also look online at the Gamecock - The Daily Gamecock and see what housing is available in their ads. Facebook and MySpace both have Columbia pages to get a feel of Columbia, and Wiki has an article too.

Old 05-06-2009, 05:40 PM

393 posts, read 1,220,898 times
Getting a fenced yard that will hold in a dog as smart as a border collie will be difficult. You most likely will have to rent a house. Look one or two blocks to the north or south of Rosewood Drive.

Also, a friend of mine with a dog found a place in Cayce, a town just across the river.

Old 05-06-2009, 06:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulmarTLS View Post
@ Mett and Matt: Thanks for all the info and advice. I'm thinking I'd want to stay away from apartments and high rises because of the dog, so I guess I'll be looking in the areas you, two, suggested.

@ Matt: Thanks for all the pictures of Columbia. Are they pretty recent?
Thanks; most have been taken in the last few years.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Columbia area